TV Streaming Player

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Looking to cut the cord with my cable co. prices have just jumped upped to high. Did some research on streaming players and the monthly price charges for Netflix and hulu plus look very good. Has any one tried any of them out? Looking at the Roku 3.
How is the picture quality?
Any problems with the unit?

Thanks for any help in his area.

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
Just bought a Chromecast for my daughter -- works great, integrates well with Google Chrome browser and with Android phones so far

Last edited:

jaxbraves

5.00 star(s)
Had a RoKu1, had issues with it so took it back and got a Roku2. Still had problems streaming. Don't know if it was the wireless modem or the Roku's. So I eventually gave up on them. My modem was not far from the living room TV but I would loose the movie I was watching and waited for it to reload. I had NetFlics and Redbox and the only thing I did not like about it was most of the movies were on the old side. Did not watch any TV programs at the time. While my microsoft PC was dying I had purchased an Apple Mac and after taking some instruction lessons landed up picking up an Appel TV which has been working great. Since I have Comcast as my provider HBOGO came free with the Apple TV. Watched a few movies and it was great. I use the Comcast on Demand a lot to watch shows I miss or I record them. Seems like any Cable or Satellite provider get expensive but I try to keep it in check by calling them back when the rates increases and get them to give me back a lower promo offer. So far so good on that.

O

oldmarine0311

a younger guy friend of mine had this to say about the roko he has... "I have had my Roku since March and I love it. Its free but some channels are like, $4 a month, no big deal. At least I have a choice. But there are tons of free content on there. All you need is wireless internet and an HDMI capable TV." i guess he enjoys it.

cdahlk2001

5.00 star(s)
If you have a lap top or smart tv, you don't need roku. All the sites out there I watch my tv shows on couchtuner or wigi wiz for all the sports, movies I watch viooz.be everything is free on the Internet. Yes u get some pixel pictures some are HD. Just got to look around. I have a roku 3 my kid used but the power cord my cats chewed.....

thedarkbrown

5.00 star(s)
Not sure if you are aware, but Hulu Plus now has tons of ads. I cancelled it when they started having 3-4 commercials 5 times during the show.

I do all that Netflix, Amazon and Hulu (cancelled) streaming stuff on a PS3 and it's much more versatile than a streaming player if you don't mind paying a little more.

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Tanks for the info on Hulu Plus did not know that. As far a PS3 since I am not into games its just a lot of money to watch some TV. Thanks for the info...

pmanningsfan73

5.00 star(s)
I just watch my stuff online with nothing. I don't have cable or direct tv, none of that crap as we like to live as simple as can be. I have my basic channels on the tube & sports, cable shows & movies on the sites I watch em on. Why pay if there is no need?

O

oldmarine0311

ya know i forgot about that too i use amazon prime via my pc, xbox and kindle it has alot of tv shows and now that cbs app has most of their shows too, just know that amc i dont think streams so if your a walking dead fan you will have to wait till it comes out on dvd in a year or so to see that show, i think but amazon has a tv device now too

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
We cancelled our DirecTV and now I'm fine with just waiting on any "new" shows to hit Netflix. There is so much I want to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime that I may never get through it all. I also find myself watching a lot more original content on YouTube than I did before and just abandoning the mainstream network stuff for the most part (at least until it hits Netflix). I have an antenna, so while I missed all of the playoffs, I am watching the WS with no problems. About the only thing I miss from DirecTV was MLB. But even that I can live without as long as there are still highlights and results on MLB.com.

thedarkbrown

5.00 star(s)
I definitely don't miss the satellite! I have been satellite free since 2008. I can wait until everything is out on DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming and watch marathons of shows, else I use other means via the internet. I'd say it's better to invest in fast high-speed internet :) My indoor leaf antenna is having a hard time picking up the local Fox station though so I couldn't watch the playoffs, I will have to move it around to hopefully pick up 1 or 2 of the WS games.

worldwideed

5.00 star(s)
If you have a lap top or smart tv, you don't need roku. All the sites out there I watch my tv shows on couchtuner or wigi wiz for all the sports, movies I watch viooz.be everything is free on the Internet. Yes u get some pixel pictures some are HD. Just got to look around. I have a roku 3 my kid used but the power cord my cats chewed.....

Thanks for the resources, I watched Oklahoma off of viooz.be last night and the quality was pretty decent.

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Picked up a Roku 3 Friday and I am very happy with it. Got Hulu Plus and Netflix will keep them both for now. Watched all six seasons of the Guild this weekend, Felicia Day is the Queen of internet programs.

TxRyan

5.00 star(s)
Picked up a Roku 3 Friday and I am very happy with it. Got Hulu Plus and Netflix will keep them both for now. Watched all six seasons of the Guild this weekend, Felicia Day is the Queen of internet programs.

Congratulations on your selection. I have been on Roku for years now and have been very pleased. I also have a conventional antenna so I can pick up the local affiliates whenever I want to want Sunday football or the Local News. I don't see any chance that I'll ever go back to cable/satellite.

I pay an annual fee (I think it was $129) to get the MLB.TV channel. It is well worth it if you enjoy watching baseball. Just know that local teams are blacked out until 90 minutes after the game is over. But for me, being a Twins fan living in Texas, it is great! I can watch every single Twins game live in HD (although they have been somewhat painful to watch these last few years).