Two Originals Left...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spartanfan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey Everyone,

Just killing time in between SIMs, I happened to revisited my original BSL 2.0 draft picks prior to the league starting in the 2007 season. I have two guys left on my current MLB roster:

CF Grady Sizemore - my 2nd round pick and 34th pick overall
MR Bobby Jenks - my 8th round pick and 214th pick overall​

Surprisingly, six of my first eight draft picks are still on MLB rosters (Jered Weaver, McGowan, ****, and Francis are the other four). Other than that, most of my other picks are out of the league by now.

Remember that second inaugural draft we had where CPU players were chosen to fill our minor league teams? I have two guys from that CPU draft still on my ML roster. My luckiest CPU picks from that draft are:

SP Denny Milller - 4th round and he's gone 81-40 as an SP for me with a 4.03 ERA. Not bad for a guy with 1/2 star rating!
MR/CL James Gaff - 10th round and he's been very good as a setup guy and closer for me over the last 11 years - even won a CY in 2012​

Any other good stories out there?

Eric

My 2007 MLB draft....not a single one still around as of last sim, but some notables.

1 - Tim Linecum - what a waste of time and space.
2 - AJ Burnett - still kicking in Washington at 40!
3 - Jeremy Bonderman - a horse for many years, resurrected career in Seattle
4 - Joba Chamberlain - a stud who has his career cut short by career ending injury. Retired
6 - Yovani Gallardo - a stud who was traded and had some great years in St Louis before injuries derailed him. Still active
10 - Howie Kendrick - playing in Atlanta now. All-time career leader in hits and AB
11 - Clay Buchholz - playing in Philly now.
12 - Bill Bray - playing with Mets now
16 - Billy Butler - playing in Seattle now.
21 - Sean Gallagher - playing in Seattle now. Great career for a 21st round pick!
40 - Harvey Garcia MR - stayed in my minors until last sim!

Hanley Ramirez... my #1 pick overall, traded to Toronto, came back in 2012 as a FA... has been sitting on the DL for the past two yr because I don't want him taking up a roster space with his stickiness!! #worstmoveofmybslcareer

Wow, that Howie Kendrick note really surprised me. I knew he'd been around a while and I kind of thought of him as a decent utility player. I never would have guessed that he was the BSL hit king!

Eric

I don't think you can find it in the History. I went back to my personal draft log - I think these were your top 10 picks:

Harden
Beltran
Baker
Magglio
Putz
Derek Lee
Wandy Rodriguez
DeRosa
Pierre
D. Ross

Eric

Wow, that Howie Kendrick note really surprised me. I knew he'd been around a while and I kind of thought of him as a decent utility player. I never would have guessed that he was the BSL hit king!

Eric

Royals hit king, not sure where he ranks in bsl

Oh, okay - I misinterpreted that. I looked it up and Kendrick has 1,565 career hits but Cano is the BSL hit king with 1,975.

I guess he's kind of your SIM version of George Brett!

Eric

I don't think you can find it in the History. I went back to my personal draft log - I think these were your top 10 picks:

Harden
Beltran
Baker
Magglio
Putz
Derek Lee
Wandy Rodriguez
DeRosa
Pierre
D. Ross

Eric

Thanks Eric. That looks correct. I can see my draft picks from 2008 until now but not 2007.

The only guy left on my team from that list is Rich Harden. He has been a stud for me except for the past year and one sim now. His ranking number have taken a huge hit and he has gone from a 5 star guy to a 1 star guy. I HOPE he decides to retire after this year so I can get rid of his HUGE contract ($20 million). Only have one more year guaranteed and then two years of team options that I will NOT be saying yes too.

I wish I had some of those other guys back on my team now. :)

Ron