Ugh, I wish there was more competition to eBay....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJJ5278

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I recently bought a Bo Jackson 1987 Topps "Tiffany" card from eBay. This seller was selling quite a few of them over a couple days and I kept losing them. I finally won one and it showed up today. I was pumped, until I opened the envelope and realized right away it was the normal version, not the Tiffany (in fact it feels even thinner than my normal one so I am thinking the whole card is just a fake or something, it feels WAY too thin). There is NO way this power seller was mistaken. They knew full well what they were selling and mailing, they were just hoping the buyers wouldn't know. So far I have not seen anyone else leave them a negative for their Jacksons so I am not sure if they knew or not. I am annoyed that I'll now need to spend $2 to send it back to get my refund of $6. I am so sick of these ****** power sellers doing shady things b/c eBay protects them b/c they bring in so much money to eBay. I have been trying to make deals on here and people either want WAY more than eBay prices or I'm not getting any offers at all. I hate having to shop there and then deal w/ this crap, but I can't find anyone else willing to sell their cards to me, haha. Oh well, rant over!

Sorry you had to go through that crap. Sportlots.com is a great place to buy cards like that. Good luck!

Gary

I am on sportlots as dealer "sundanze"... I can honestly say that my experience with buying cards on the site is ten times more pleasant than that of ebay...Myself along with most sellers on the site have a "make offer" block under the "details" button. Most reasonable offers haven't been refused. If no pic is there,you can request one.I encourage sportlots as a great great alternative to ebay...

I am on sportlots as dealer "sundanze"... I can honestly say that my experience with buying cards on the site is ten times more pleasant than that of ebay...Myself along with most sellers on the site have a "make offer" block under the "details" button. Most reasonable offers haven't been refused. If no pic is there,you can request one.I encourage sportlots as a great great alternative to ebay...
I'll check it out later today when I have more internet time. Best regards, David

I have used sportlots and COMC quite a bit, but both of them have been much higher or they don't have the cards at all. I also hate that I have to have money in my account to make an offer at COMC, hence the fact I never do. Oh well, I'll keep trying here!

The nice thing about COMC is that if you want that specific card - you know you are getting that specific card from the site because they have card identification people who's entire job is to determine the exact card being posted. Plus you get a picture of that exact card.

I agree on the pricing - some people are awfully high on their prices. I have people buy cards from me, just to relist at higher prices. I really try to keep myself reasonable when I send cards in. I actually just checked. Looks like you could get a Bo for about $13.00 on COMC - there are a number that have sold on eBay for that price recently...and most guys on there (myself included) have no problem making a deal.

Have you talked to them? Maybe they'll make it right. I've only bought from them twice, but both times they were solid sellers. Got what I paid for. The other thing I noticed is the raw cards not from them are going for closer to what COMC or Sportlots is selling them for. There are a handful of sales in the price range you were paying, but I see one of them had the gray back, meaning a base card instead of the tiffany version with white cardstock. Might be best to ask for a scan of the back next time just to be safer and possibly save yourself the headache.

I would contact the seller. If they are an honest seller who made an honest mistake they will probably tell you to just keep the Bo. I would anyway. Lot of hassle over a card that is only worth about a quarter.

They did fix it, but only b/c I opened a case and eBay was on my side.

And then I got a patch card in a regular envelope w/ NO penny sleeve, toploader, anything. Needless to say that was trashed. Ugh, it never ends over there, haha.

It really is wide-ranging over on ebay...most sellers are good, but you occasionally get something that makes you wonder if the seller just discovered both baseball cards and mail that very day.

- Got a card with zero protection in a greeting card.

- So many times it's very professionally done, with a business card and everything, but they used a too-big toploader and didn't seal the top so the card is sticking halfway out.

- Of course GU cards in PWE's when they are charging $2+ for shipping, almost always creased.

- Rollie Fingers RC sent in just a penny sleeve in a bubble mailer.

- People trying to send a bubble mailer with a forever stamp, lol.

- Having to go to the post office on the weekend to pay postage due because somebody thinks a bubble mailer can be shipped for 66 cents. It can't. And quit blaming the post office, you should do research and know better, it's right on the USPS website.

- My favorite was the opposite of most of these though. Bought an autographed card for $1 plus $2 shipping on ebay. Seller sent it certified mail with signature required, which was at least $5. I had to go to the post office and sign for it, the seller lost the card and $2. Lose-lose.

Richard