Upcoming League option tweeks for the 08 season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavlite

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Gonna make a few minor changes for the upcoming season as we trial and error our way into finding the best options for our BSL:

1). Injury setting will be dropped one level from existing level. Right now we are in the middle so we will be dropping to "Low" which is not the lowest level, hopefully this will curb our massive list of injuries without taking injuries completely out of the mix

2). Merchandise revenue seemed extremely low to me with all teams falling in the 2.5-4.5 Million dollar range.(currently league Avg of 3 Million) I will raise the league Avg Merch Revenue number to 10 Million dollars ( this is in hopes of not having to further adjust/bailout with 10 Million dollar cash influxes in seasons...

3). to keep things fair after the increase in Merch revenue, considering there are quite a few teams who have manged themselves financially very well, and that quite a few of those teams are smaller markets, we will be increasing the cash Maximum from 40 Million to 50 Million. That way teams who have been doing very well financially in smaller markets/or smaller owner budgets will not lose that overage so they benefit just as much as higher market higher payroll teams do from the financial change.

Those are the 3 changes I plan to make before 2008 starts up. Thanks to Cory for talking these issues thru with me.

Gonna make a few minor changes for the upcoming season as we trial and error our way into finding the best options for our BSL:

1). Injury setting will be dropped one level from existing level. Right now we are in the middle so we will be dropping to "Low" which is not the lowest level, hopefully this will curb our massive list of injuries without taking injuries completely out of the mix

2). Merchandise revenue seemed extremely low to me with all teams falling in the 2.5-4.5 Million dollar range.(currently league Avg of 3 Million) I will raise the league Avg Merch Revenue number to 10 Million dollars ( this is in hopes of not having to further adjust/bailout with 10 Million dollar cash influxes in seasons...

3). to keep things fair after the increase in Merch revenue, considering there are quite a few teams who have manged themselves financially very well, and that quite a few of those teams are smaller markets, we will be increasing the cash Maximum from 40 Million to 50 Million. That way teams who have been doing very well financially in smaller markets/or smaller owner budgets will not lose that overage so they benefit just as much as higher market higher payroll teams do from the financial change.

Those are the 3 changes I plan to make before 2008 starts up. Thanks to Cory for talking these issues thru with me.

All sound good Nick, I was thinking the Media money was quite a bit less than last league too. Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this league. I know we all appreciate it much. Pat

The plan is that this settles league finances for quite some time. The game itself has some issues dealing with long-term financials over a sustained league. We've done some testing and this appears to be moderately effective IF teams keep their financial houses in order.

Again, as the league charter states, teams can be repossessed by the league if the owner knowingly runs his team into default. There is obviously exceptions due to 1. Being a new game 2. Having new owners on board 3. Getting used to controlling all the aspects we do.

HOWEVER, none of those three should apply to anyone after this season aside from Washington, who is still in the 'learning' phase of owning a team. We don't expect anyone to be a financial planning master, but the game PROVIDES you a payroll number, and numerous teams willingly exceeded it.

I guess before we take ownership of a team, we can look into taking draft picks, etc. I just want everyone to be on board with the fact you can't spend what you don't have. Everyone will have positive cash in the bank after the season, with revenue sharing, media payouts, etc. Some will have VERY LITTLE cash, but they will have cash.

Having said that, EVERYONE will need to stay in the green on cash all year. I have no vote in this, but I am sure Nick will be much more stringent with the financials this time around. We can't exercise a league in good faith with 6+ insolvent teams.

Cory

The plan is that this settles league finances for quite some time. The game itself has some issues dealing with long-term financials over a sustained league. We've done some testing and this appears to be moderately effective IF teams keep their financial houses in order.

Again, as the league charter states, teams can be repossessed by the league if the owner knowingly runs his team into default. There is obviously exceptions due to 1. Being a new game 2. Having new owners on board 3. Getting used to controlling all the aspects we do.

HOWEVER, none of those three should apply to anyone after this season aside from Washington, who is still in the 'learning' phase of owning a team. We don't expect anyone to be a financial planning master, but the game PROVIDES you a payroll number, and numerous teams willingly exceeded it.

I guess before we take ownership of a team, we can look into taking draft picks, etc. I just want everyone to be on board with the fact you can't spend what you don't have. Everyone will have positive cash in the bank after the season, with revenue sharing, media payouts, etc. Some will have VERY LITTLE cash, but they will have cash.

Having said that, EVERYONE will need to stay in the green on cash all year. I have no vote in this, but I am sure Nick will be much more stringent with the financials this time around. We can't exercise a league in good faith with 6+ insolvent teams.

Cory

Wholeheartedly agree with this statement, I am guilty myself of running in the red this year, I thought I had it all worked out but alas, my math was flawed and I wasn't considering all the angles.

The finances can be tough to fully understand, I knew coming into 08 that my team salary was going to drop significantly so I figured I'd be okay.

I felt that by the end of the season, only 2 or 3 teams did not fully grasp the financial responsibilities that they needed to. I wasn't pointing anyone out in particular, but I just expect everyone to watch the numbers.

Really, the only way to break your financials is trading and signing players. Both of those are done by the manager of the team, so it truly is up the each manager to run the franchise.

If someone goes into default a few hundred thousand due to a super-tight 50 million dollar budget because they are fighting to get people in the stands during a losing season, I have no problem helping them get out.

However, if a team is running 125 mil projected budget and has a 140 million dollar payroll, then claims people off waivers, etc. That is not following what needs to be done.

A super-solid rule of thumb for finances, one that almost completely guarantees that you will not go bankrupt (OR even lose money) is to keep your player payroll at least a few million below your team budget for the year....AND not to release or buy-out any MLB contracts.

Like I have said before, I have no problem helping people out, regardless of the situation. I just don't want to see people run teams into the ground without asking for help OR ask for help and ignore it (even worse to me)

Cory

Thank you for this thread. I'll be the first to admit, I'm still working on figuring everything out. I released a few too many players and tossed too many on my 40/25 man rosters in the beginning, but I think I have enough pieces in place to avoid taking on too much payroll going forward.

Fully agree with Cory... My team was at the top of the payroll chart..
I contacted the Marlins to see if they would be interested in 1B Ortiz..
The trade shaved $15M off my payroll. Then before the trade deadline
I helped a couple teams get back to the positive financially.. It is a give
and take game and my reward was making it to the playoffs.

Just use your best judgement or don't be afraid to ask a question or advice!!
The game is very fun and addicting.. Thanks Nick and Cory for the pleasure
to participate..
Kendall(Blue J's)

I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this game! if it wasnt for the advice I recieved from James, Cory and Nick there is no way I could have gotten my budget under control as well as put together a productive team!
Thanks for all you guys do and making the league fun and addicting!!
i look forward to the changes as well as competing in 08!