UPDATE: FINISHED! Working for THE HAWK...

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
So....while on my trip to Toronto with Upper Deck for the Fall Expo, I was pleasantly surprised to see HOFer Andre Dawson standing in front of me watching me work. After a little discussion, he came back over to let me know that he was all in on me doing a piece for him. Below are a couple of pics - the first pic was taken by UD when he first approached my table, and the second is the outline of the composition I will be creating from cut baseball cards. This composition was approved by Mr. Dawson yesterday morning. I'll update this thread with progress shots along the way!

Tim

UPDATE:

Took some time away from another commission (one that I have spent a TON of time on), and knocked this one out. Dawson loved it, and Craig named it.

"Awesome Dawson"

Tim

Last edited:

jflan702

5.00 star(s)
Awesome. Let us know if you need more cards. Will Craig be bidding against Andre for this one?

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Awesome. Let us know if you need more cards. Will Craig be bidding against Andre for this one?
Hey John
I was going to say the same thing Boy Craig might bid on it Tim good luck with the job I know you do fabulous work Keep it up
Tom

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Tim, great composition on the Dawson piece, I'm excited to see it in progress.... congrats!

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
Thank you all very much. Hope I can meet or exceed Dawson's expectations! Not sure if Craig has seen this post yet - but I certainly thought about him while all of this was going down.;)

Tim

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
I thought Craig liquidated his Dawson collection though. Has he started to rebuild?

Word of mouth and things like this will make you famous Tim. Good score on that deal.

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
Tim - Absolutely AWESOME! I can't wait to see how this piece turns out. I'm sure it will be AMAZING! (As usual!) Although, I have a feeling this may be my favorite piece yet!

Thanks
Craig

*Tell Mr. Dawson his biggest fan says hello!

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
Thanks again to all for allowing me to share my "adventures"......

I thought Craig liquidated his Dawson collection though. Has he started to rebuild?

Word of mouth and things like this will make you famous Tim. Good score on that deal.
You know, Curt.....the word of mouth thing has been so pivotal for me. Turns out, I was commissioned by a guy from Canada to create a 1990 UD John Olerud for his collection a couple of months or so ago - well before the Expo. He was in Las Vegas the week before my trip to Toronto at a charity golf tournament. He rode on a bus with some of the celebs, and the guy he so happened to sit with was Andre Dawson. The gentleman's conversation with Dawson turned somehow to art, and my work was brought up. The man heard later that Dawson was going to be in Toronto the following weekend, and he let Dawson know to look for me. Fate had it that the UD booth was set up right next to the Ferguson Jenkins Foundation table (where Dawson was signing). This made it easy for Andre to come back and forth and spend time considering what I do. I know that seeing the work in person had a bit to do with Dawson making a decision to hire me, but I also know that the preliminary talks with someone a couple of thousand miles away in a different setting also set the wheels in motion.

I am so thankful for every single person that has taken the time to view, comment, share, buy, or commission my work. Everything has led to something else, and it is cool to see how so many opportunities are intermingled with previous ones. I started this 5 years ago just as a "why not?" project. It has completely changed my life. Things that my teaching salary was not able to give my children - the artwork HAS. I always had dreams of playing professional ball (like pretty much everyone else that inhabits sports-related message boards), but I soon realized that a level of talent has to meet the level of desire to make that dream a reality. Obviously, playing ball was not in the cards for me. Needless to say, the art has provided me the experience of rubbing some elbows with guys I would normally have to buy a ticket to meet. I honestly can't believe it some days - some of the events that have happened over the last 6 months (MLB/Torre, all of the work with Upper Deck, the National/Shaquille, Fall Expo/Gretzky/Dawson) make me feel like a little kid! There are some other crazy opportunities on the horizon, some that may or may not happen.....I'm just making sure to soak them in and walk through every door that opens!

Tim - Absolutely AWESOME! I can't wait to see how this piece turns out. I'm sure it will be AMAZING! (As usual!) Although, I have a feeling this may be my favorite piece yet!

Thanks
Craig

*Tell Mr. Dawson his biggest fan says hello!
Glad you like it, Craig! Hope it comes out like I envision. I'll make sure to tell him before all of this is over!;)

Tim

H

houbb

That is tremendous! I love your work, and I love where it has taken you! Congratulations and keep it comin'! Love it!

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
That is great to hear. As always, I wish you the best on your future success. Always love checking out the newest pieces too.

Thanks again to all for allowing me to share my "adventures"......

You know, Curt.....the word of mouth thing has been so pivotal for me. Turns out, I was commissioned by a guy from Canada to create a 1990 UD John Olerud for his collection a couple of months or so ago - well before the Expo. He was in Las Vegas the week before my trip to Toronto at a charity golf tournament. He rode on a bus with some of the celebs, and the guy he so happened to sit with was Andre Dawson. The gentleman's conversation with Dawson turned somehow to art, and my work was brought up. The man heard later that Dawson was going to be in Toronto the following weekend, and he let Dawson know to look for me. Fate had it that the UD booth was set up right next to the Ferguson Jenkins Foundation table (where Dawson was signing). This made it easy for Andre to come back and forth and spend time considering what I do. I know that seeing the work in person had a bit to do with Dawson making a decision to hire me, but I also know that the preliminary talks with someone a couple of thousand miles away in a different setting also set the wheels in motion.

I am so thankful for every single person that has taken the time to view, comment, share, buy, or commission my work. Everything has led to something else, and it is cool to see how so many opportunities are intermingled with previous ones. I started this 5 years ago just as a "why not?" project. It has completely changed my life. Things that my teaching salary was not able to give my children - the artwork HAS. I always had dreams of playing professional ball (like pretty much everyone else that inhabits sports-related message boards), but I soon realized that a level of talent has to meet the level of desire to make that dream a reality. Obviously, playing ball was not in the cards for me. Needless to say, the art has provided me the experience of rubbing some elbows with guys I would normally have to buy a ticket to meet. I honestly can't believe it some days - some of the events that have happened over the last 6 months (MLB/Torre, all of the work with Upper Deck, the National/Shaquille, Fall Expo/Gretzky/Dawson) make me feel like a little kid! There are some other crazy opportunities on the horizon, some that may or may not happen.....I'm just making sure to soak them in and walk through every door that opens!

Glad you like it, Craig! Hope it comes out like I envision. I'll make sure to tell him before all of this is over!;)

Tim

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
Took some time away from another commission (one that I have spent a TON of time on), and knocked this one out. Dawson loved it, and Craig named it.

"Awesome Dawson"

Tim

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
Absolutely AWESOME! As usual! Although this is my favorite piece! By the way, I loved that documentary the other day. Who knew those posters would be making a comeback!

Thanks
Craig

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Tim
This is amazing you do one hellva job on these . I am glad you share them with us here on the Bench just to see such great art work
Wish you all the best in all your upcomming advetures

Hey Craig that is amazing AWESOME DAWSON

Tom

Sponsors