USPS at it again - Another rate increase

OriolesFan8

5.00 star(s)
USPS Rate Increase Article

This statement from the article could be bad for all of us:

"Also impacted by the higher rates will be businesses that ship parcels by USPS. Parcels under one pound will see a 23% hike while the rest will increase by 7%."

Todd

David K.

5.00 star(s)
I see a big impact on trading next year....trading before the last increase was about 100 trades a day..after its been about 60 to 70 trades per day.....I can see it going much lower next year. Best regards, David

Last edited:

redsfan24

4.90 star(s)
I see a big impact on trading next year....trading before the last increase was about 100 trades a day..after its been about 60 to 70 trades per day.....I can see it going much lower next year. Best regards, David

wow thats A LOT of trading! :D

anyway, i do not like this at all. how about lowering price to get back more customers?

David K.

5.00 star(s)
wow thats A LOT of trading! :D

anyway, i do not like this at all. how about lowering price to get back more customers?

Those figures came from the home page......30 days divided into the number of trades. A drop of about 30% is huge. Best regards, David

O

oldmarine0311

well i think its a necessary evil. not sure i care for an increase but like everyone else i will just have to adapt to it. might want to get out there and buy them forever stamps now why ya can anyway, if it doesnt happen this time it WILL happen next time anyway.

Tankp

5.00 star(s)
How about when topps raises prices because of the lost of Upper deck. I think that might hurt us more then the mail. The post office has too many chiefs not enough indians. They need to get on the ball and get rid of some of those supervisors that do nothing for there money. Then they might have to raise prices.

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
It is a simple supply and demand situation.

We are caught in the crossfire, but it's going to happen no matter what. The USPS is independent of the US Gov't and is not subsidized like many other agencies. With the advent of e-mail and online everything, there has been a massive decrease on an annual basis of letters being sent. They've discussed cutting Saturdays and Tuesdays from delivery as well.

You have to understand this is somewhat like social security. It COULD run on it's own as-is for a few years, but if something isn't done now, it would be impossible to fix later on.

As for Topps prices going up once Upper Deck was out...again, simple supply vs demand. Lower supply available, more demand + Strasburg/Heyward factor = higher prices. I am not 100% sure, but I would imagine most of the price increases are taking place on the final retail end and the wholesale prices have not increased exponentially.

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
"Parcels under one pound will see a 23% hike "

That means a 2 ounce bubble mailer will go up something like 35 cents ! That's HUGE

bdink25

5.00 star(s)
This is a bunch of crap. The USPS has way too much waste going on internally and they expect us to pay for it?? They ought to clean out their house.

timtomadp301

5.00 star(s)
Personally I think we should privatize the mail system.

Other countries, like Germany have done this, and they continued to have fast service and their prices decreased. We have enough parcel companies that could take care of the mail, including small packages and letters, if they did not have to compete with the post office that had a monopoly system already in place for

If we allowed competition, UPS, DHL, and FEDex could all compete for out business, and we would all end up better off for it.

Maybe sometime in the future once the current system becomes unsustainable they will try this.

Just my opinion.

Dan

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
Personally I think we should privatize the mail system.

Other countries, like Germany have done this, and they continued to have fast service and their prices decreased. We have enough parcel companies that could take care of the mail, including small packages and letters, if they did not have to compete with the post office that had a monopoly system already in place for

If we allowed competition, UPS, DHL, and FEDex could all compete for out business, and we would all end up better off for it.

Maybe sometime in the future once the current system becomes unsustainable they will try this.

Just my opinion.

Dan

The private companies can't possibly compete with the $0.44 letter. Most of these companies would siphon off the direct metropolitan routes and leave the rural routes to the Post Office, if you think they wouldn't you should know they already have the Post Office deliver packages that aren't profitable for them.

By the way, if you try to send an overnight package with FedEx or UPS and screw up the street, like Elm Street instead of Elm Way, be prepared for a $10 to $19 additional charge, USPS doen't charge for screwups.