WARNING: Photobucket will give you a VIRUS

Bob Kuchta

4.90 star(s)
Just a heads up guys (and gals). I saw a thread on this the other day and yesterday my computer crashed after checking out someone's bucket on Photobucket. I ran my antivirus and that didn't clean it up. Gonna have to take it in to the local tech and spend about 75 bucks I'd rather be spending on cards. (Right now I'm on my wife's laptop).
I just erased my bucket from my sig. As much as I like to see what people have, I'm just gonna have to look at a list. I notified a few MODs.
Pass it on.
Bob

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
Does anyone know if Photobucket has been made aware of this. It seems to happen alot these days.

Thanks
Craig

sandman43103

4.90 star(s)
Do not pay to have anyone look at your computer. Download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It's the only program that can get rid of the Desktop Defender 2010 program.

It may have hijacked your internet connection on your original computer, but you can download it on the laptop and put it on a disk...not a USB drive.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
had the same warning....no problems at this time....But I'll run my McAfee program to see if it can spot anything. Best regards, David

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
I googled it to see what was being said. I read on one site where someone said Safari not affected, which is what I have. I have not been to photobucket in a week or more. Not interested in risking it though, as I am not a computer whiz!

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
Does anyone know if Photobucket has been made aware of this. It seems to happen alot these days.

Thanks
Craig
Yeah, I have notified them many times and one of the times they told me that it was a sponsor and that as long as they get paid, the sponsor will continue to "advertise", or infect machines.

SWITCH TO PICASA WEB ALBUMS! Or just be VERY cautious when using photobucket.

Everyone: Do not spend money to fix this, go to malwarebytes.org and download and update the software then run a full scan, and it will clean it up.

Jeremy

cometmike

5.00 star(s)
Yesh, do not pay, there are many of free programs that you can do it with.

Also, im using firefox, I have not had a problem yet. What are you using?

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
Picasa Web Albums for me....no longer clicking bucket links and currently working on rescanning everything
just not worth the hassle of the ads and viruses that come with photobucket

mindbinge

5.00 star(s)
I have run photobucket from day 1 and never had a problem...i don't click on anything but pics in there either...if something pops up i just click on the bucket in the background and it closes....no problems so far.

I seriously doubt anyone is getting anything from checking buckets....you might have some junk on your pc's from clicking on other stuff though.

mlbme22

5.00 star(s)
I have run photobucket from day 1 and never had a problem...i don't click on anything but pics in there either...if something pops up i just click on the bucket in the background and it closes....no problems so far.

I seriously doubt anyone is getting anything from checking buckets....you might have some junk on your pc's from clicking on other stuff though.
I agree- Never had a problem, but also don't click on any links. Just handle my business with the pictures.
Thanks,
Mike

opcfan

5.00 star(s)
I have had no problems lately. Photobucket is running as smooth as it ever has. If you are having problems I would think you have a software issue and not a virus. Just my opinion.

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
I have had no problems lately. Photobucket is running as smooth as it ever has. If you are having problems I would think you have a software issue and not a virus. Just my opinion.
It is an actual virus (more so spyware than anything), and it is definetely from photobucket, I have had to test it at work and intentionally infected a test machine just to find what was causing it and it is one of photobuckets advertisers.

On a side note, similar (maybe even exact) spyware has been popping up on facebook as well, they are advertisers that are using their advertising for malicious purposes.

mrhaverkamp

5.00 star(s)
I must have found the same virus on Saturday from looking at a photobucket...particularly nasty one too. Brought my machine in to our office tech and he worked on it for 4 hours before finally getting it clean for me yesterday......no more viewing at that site for me! -- Jim

mindbinge

5.00 star(s)
Do not pay to have anyone look at your computer. Download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It's the only program that can get rid of the Desktop Defender 2010 program.

It may have hijacked your internet connection on your original computer, but you can download it on the laptop and put it on a disk...not a USB drive.
I run this on my PC...works good and keeps things clean...if it's coming from an advertisement I guess this is why I don't experience it like some others.

kugelmanco

5.00 star(s)
i agree that it is definitely from photobucket...just some pcs may be better suited to handle or block it
it said that it was a trojan horse virus on malwarebytes - the program that eradicated the problem for me
too many users here and elsewhere i've seen with pc problems lately and are coincidentally bucket users as well

Sponsors