What a job.

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
I started a new job today. Its through a temp agency. But boy what a job it is. Forklift drivers(Not me, yet anyways) unload a trailer full of pallets. And we have to restack them. Each pallet weights approximately 75lbs. I knew this going into it, and I wondered how Id respond to it, but I knew I had to take it and at least try. When I was in my 20's I was a non-smoker who played softball, pick up basketball and even volleyball. As often as possible, when I started a job at a soup factory I had to fill kittles with frozen vegtables as much as 150lbs a dump, to blanch them. I lost 50lbs that first summer there, gained a little speed and pop in my softball skills. Anyways, based on that I knew at one time I could hack, now Im 33 out of shape, smoke and high blood pressure. By first break I couldnt feel my legs and my arms felt like jello, but I kept plugging away. My supervisor came up to me at lunch and said they give newbies a few days to adjust because of just how demanding the job is. He offered to let me to go home to have more time to recoup and get ready for tomarrow. I took it, probably shouldnt of but I dont think I had another 5 hours(10 hr days) left in the tank. And Id rather take his invite then have to ask later. He also told me they normaly do this the first week or two, then decide if the person will be able to hack it or not. Im going to keep giving it my all, as I figure its a great way to shed a few pounds and Im not afraid of the work as long as my body will work with me. Plus a long time friend who I started playing tee ball with at the age of 5 has told me next year is his last year of softball. Figures at 33 its time to stop playing games and get a job. So we talked about me coming out of retirement and playing one last year together. If I can drop 25-50lbs with the job then start working out we might make a memorable last run together. Who knows he plays in ASA e-class travel ball maybe we can win a ring!

-J

robert326

4.90 star(s)
Wow that sounds like a real adventure! Makes guys like me look like sissies. I sit behind a desk at a computer, wear a white shirt and tie, and look pretty (I work in a NYC government agency).

Seriously though, I hope the job works out for you! And I hope you get a work out from the job too. :)

Best of luck.

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
Wow that sounds like a real adventure! Makes guys like me look like sissies. I sit behind a desk at a computer, wear a white shirt and tie, and look pretty (I work in a NYC government agency).

Seriously though, I hope the job works out for you! And I hope you get a work out from the job too. :)

Best of luck.

Want to trade for a day? I think Id be pretty good at sitting behind a desk in my Sunday's best. You can wear cut-off t's and shorts where I work.

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
Cool, I was just in Seymour last Friday. Sounds like you have a pretty physical job. You'll probably get used to it in no time.

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
Next time you in Seymour give me a heads up. Its only 15 minutes from where Im living now. I think the one shop there has closed, but there's always trade a bakers.

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
I didn't know there was a Traderbaker's there. Any cards in that one? There is one here in Carrollton that has a few card booths.

robert326

4.90 star(s)
Want to trade for a day? I think Id be pretty good at sitting behind a desk in my Sunday's best. You can wear cut-off t's and shorts where I work.

I honestly can't remember the last time I wore shorts or even a short-sleeve shirt to work. So I would swap with you...but I can barely lift anything. :D
I prefer sports where I can run around...like tennis and, well, running.

But, if you become a union member sometime...who knows, maybe I can help your workforce negotiate a great contract that upholds your rights. I'm doing a Masters in Industrial/Labor Relations, so I study arbitration/mediation/HR practices. Ideally, I would like to eventually get a job where I can utilize my skills better. But with the recession being what it is, I am happy to have what I have.

It sounds like you're a real hard worker who's happy to have this new opportunity. I just hope they treat you well and appreciate what you bring to the job.

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
I didn't know there was a Traderbaker's there. Any cards in that one? There is one here in Carrollton that has a few card booths.

Yea, the Traderbakers is right next to Big Lots, behind the recently opened White Castle. Across the street from Long John Silvers and Burger King. I havent been inside of the Seymour store in awhile. Almost stopped in yesterday, but figured I should come home since I had a .223 rifle in the trunk. They dont have more than the Madison store though last time I checked, but Don Baseball Cards is out of buisness or so I heard, and that seems like a great way for him to move any leftover stock.

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
Nice story there, give it all u got and keep dropping that weight.

U got a nice goal to work towards, playing softball in a league. Wow thats sounds like alotttt of fun!

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
Nice story there, give it all u got and keep dropping that weight.

U got a nice goal to work towards, playing softball in a league. Wow thats sounds like alotttt of fun!

It use to be a blast, I was a part of a great OF in my 20's. But it would take alot to get back there, Id probably end up at 1st or 2nd. But honestly as hot as these bats are today, I'd be 100% fine being behind the plate!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
It'll take awhile for you to get over the pain and sore muscles....in a few weeks...you will be able to pace yourself and you won't be as sore and you'll have a strong body! Good luck! Best regards, David

DMS6391

4.90 star(s)
Good luck. Speaking from personal experience, I'm not a big fan of driving a forklift lol. I'd rather leave that to the guys who are better at it than myself. Sounds like a demanding job, good luck

akamikey2001

5.00 star(s)
Sounds like a pain restacking those pallets by the trailor load by hand. I sometimes have to load the pallet trailor at my work full of damaged ones. Are the pallets you deal with good ones or bad? I deal with pallets all night long restocking slots of product in a cooler... I usually wait until i get about 10 pallets then slam into them with the forklift to make them streight then add them to my sky high perfectly centered stack :) .

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
These skids are for wal mart so we look for damage but mostly sort by color and size. Today was my first full day and I S-O-R-E. Not to mention I have a blister on 9 of my 10 fingers.

I might look into switching to the weekend shift if they still need a experienced forklift driver. 12 hour days Fri-Sun, and then I have to make up 4 hours sometime between Mon-Thur. But I figure it would make things easier if still avaible plus I wont have to stack near as much.

Lefty

5.00 star(s)
Don's is still opened but he mainly deals in diecast. He does have some cards and can pretty much get you whatever you need but I wouldn't recommend buying any loose packs there. Where do you live? I work at the DC.

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
Don's is still opened but he mainly deals in diecast. He does have some cards and can pretty much get you whatever you need but I wouldn't recommend buying any loose packs there. Where do you live? I work at the DC.

I live in Austin, now days. Why wouldnt you recocommend buying any loose packs?