What are you reading?

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
In an effort to sleep better and longer at night, I am trying to watch less TV and spend less time on the computer around bedtime. To help pass that extra time each night, I am digging into my library of books that I have promising myself I would eventually read.

In the past, there was a thread on the music on your Ipod, and that always provided some great ideas on new music to add....so my thought was, maybe everyone could get some new ideas on books to read.

Doesn't have to be sports related, any good book topic will do...we can call it The Bench Book Club (unless Oprah sees this and wants to sue, than we will change it!)

The latest book I knocked out is "The Irregulars" by Jennet Conant - it was about Roald Dahl and the British spy ring in WWII Washington. Decent book, lots of name dropping and I proved what a total idiot I am by not picking up on the obvious until the last 10 pages.

Prior to that, finished up "Blue Blood" by Art Chansky - about the Duke/Carolina basketball rivalry. As a die hard Tar Heel fan, it was interesting to see how the rivalry devleoped from the early days.

Very interested to see what books other folks are picking up......

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
Currently into Japanese's Magma......One Piece ....story about a boy whos on a mission to become King of the Pirates! Best regards, David

mrhaverkamp

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Homicide - by David Simon....creator/writer of "The Wire" HBO show. When that gets too dark, I switch over to "The Last Boy" - Mickey Mantle biography by Jane Leavy. Her book on Sandy Koufax was incredible, and I started to see reviews on this one that were very favorable, as well. Is anyone a member of the website "Goodreads"? I found it's a good way to track my reading, and get other recommended titles in similar genres.

rotorob

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Switching back and forth between 2 books at the moment:
Bodily Knowledge, a poetry book by Brenda Yates. Not normaly a poetry reader, but the author is my sister, and I've found I rather enjoy some of it (at least what I understand of it, lol)

and The Teammates: A Portrait of Friendship by David Halberstam so far a great baseball book that is more about the non-baseball frindships, but still plenty of the sport.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Currently into Japanese's Magma......One Piece ....story about a boy whos on a mission to become King of the Pirates! Best regards, David

Some interesting stuff in everyones book cases. This is the one that caught my eye first and foremost - have always enjoyed pirates and tales of such.

Just popped another book off the shelf - going to start "The Yankees Had Something To Do With It" by Kerry Hotaling, at some point in the next day or two. Could be Civil War related, could be AL East related.....And in full disclosure the author is a friend of mine who also volunteers his time volunteering in the rehabilitation of the Gettysburg Battlefield.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Currently on Wizard and Glass, the fourth book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Stacy

Have enjoyed a couple of the movies, but never been a Stephen King or Dean Koontz guy.

Knocked out "The Yankees Had Something To With It" - a semi-non fictional account of the Battle of Gettysburg specifically from the story telling perspective of the Union Generals. Enjoyed it very much.

Followed that up with "Box 21" (Anders Roslund & Borge Hellstrom) - a suspense novel with a a little bit of darkness along the lines "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". Couldn't put it down, knocked it out in three nights.

Next on the list "Wait Till Next Year" - Doris Kearns Goodwin.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Next on the list "Wait Till Next Year" - Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Finished up Wait Till Next Year, read it basically to get an idea of her style of writing as I will be picking up Team Of Rivals at some point in the future. It wasn't a bad book, just not my normal read.

Next up - George Washingtons Secret Six by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Have knocked out George Washington's Secret Six - interesting, but not the page turner I envisioned it being. For those keeping score - have now covered the American Revolution, the Civil War and World War II among the finished books. I have one on the shelf about Vietnam that will be read at a later date.

Next up - The Book Of Basketball by Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy, formerly of ESPN - haven't heard or seen anything about him since he was released from his ESPN duties).

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Have finally wrapped up The Book of Basketball - it was a monster. If you are a big basketball fan, definitely for you. I got it more for Simmons, because I thought he was funny on ESPN. It read very easily and definitely made me laugh in parts, especially the footnotes.

Not sure what is next - will either be What They Wrought, What They Endured - a civil war book about the regiments with the highest casualty percentages at Gettysburg OR Saint Bobby and the Barbarians about Bobby Bowden, the FSU Seminoles and their 1994?? season.

johnny 5

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Has any read Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty? Being a Tiger fan I was thinking about purchasing it but haven't made up my mind. Your thoughts?

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Has any read Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty? Being a Tiger fan I was thinking about purchasing it but haven't made up my mind. Your thoughts?

Have not read this one, but betting it would be interesting...

Have spent a bunch of time knocking out some Gettysburg Magazines - they really are more mini-novellas than magazines. Long, interesting reads, especially if you are serious about the history of The Battle of Gettysburg and stories of individual soldiers and units.

As far as reading actual books - just wrapped up "The Boys In The Boat", by Daniel James Brown - described as nine americans and their epic quest for gold at the 1936 berlin olympics. If you are a fan of the University of Washington or the sport of crew - might be a good choice for you. The college I went too had an excellent crew program, so the terminology wasn't over my head. Definitely enjoyed it, on to the next one....

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
...And the next one was - Saint Bobby and the Barbarians - The Inside Story of a tumultuous season with the Florida State Seminoles by Ben Brown. An insiders look at the 1991 Seminoles season. Some great stuff that you would never think you would see in print regarding meetings, academics, game planning, etc.

On the down side, if you are a Seminoles fan, you get to re-live the initial Wide Right game..still can make you sick to your stomach after 25 years.

Next up - Team Of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - 750+ pages, no pictures - not a good combo for me!

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Can't believe it has been over two years since I read a book cover to cover. Team of Rivals just absolutely crushed me - I got through about 100 pages or so and apparently gave up reading for over two years....

Last week afforded me the opportunity of some down time which I used to start back up again. Wrapped up a book that I have had for quite some time -- "Memoir Of A Cold War Soldier", Richard Mack, Col., US Army, RET. It basically recounts the authors life, focusing on his time in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (yes, he fought in three wars). Very interesting look at the day to day of a guy who held a ton of interesting positions throughout his highly decorated career.

He also happened to be my neighbor for the better part of 15 years - one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Any guy who doesn't get upset when you bust his window with a baseball at 10 years old, qualifies! And I still have the Bronze Star that he gave to me right around that age. Guess he could spare it, he was awarded 4 of them....