What happened to this card? What is causing the damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaderock

Prospect
Just recently sorted my cards and came across this:

Here's the before scan - about 2-3 years ago:
b4_zps7e07a365.jpg

Here's the NOW scans/photo!!!! What happened? The damage is underneath the surface of the card!!! Card is in a penny sleeve and a correct size toploader stored in a box along with other cards (that show no problems) - no sun/light exposure. Anyone else knows what up?

0818001_zpsd6d532d0.jpg
P1380605_zps1e22fca6.jpg
P1380606_zps2d0af6e1.jpg

is it possible sometype of bug got it or maybe a chemical reaction....for example....lets say where the stain is maybe you touched it with your finger and over the years this cause a chemical reaction in the spot where it was touched? Best regards, David

Last edited:
Could be that coating from card stuck to the sleeve. I have noticed from buying boxes from the early 2000's that the coating welds to other cards or to plastic sometimes. It is miserable. Maybe that's it

from my experience , that's a rather common occurrence with cards that feature a foilboard type background with a coating (peelable , though not DESIGNED to be peeled)...appears to be a separation of the two surfaces and the marking is between the two surfaces , not on the outside....if you have any , check out 1999 playoff contenders cards...both the regular base cards and the rookie autographs are AWFUL about doing exactly what you have pictured....

Yeah I have a Xavier Nady card out of UD Spectrum with a similar foilboard that has the same issue. I haven't had that issue with any of my Reflections cards gladly, as the 2005 baseball set is one of my favorites. Also watch out for Donruss Season Stat Line cards - one of the Dilfers in my collection looks absolutely awful, like it has a terminal disease or something.

In a similar vein, the foil will "rot away" on certain sets. Go look at 2004 Sweet Spot baseball autos on COMC, or 1996 Ultra Rookies in football are the worst:

e6607f04-5582-460d-87a4-bf6ea22e6123.jpg

Richard

I have seen a number of pacific prism cards do that too. I wondered as well what might cause a perfectly good card to deteriorate while sitting in a box, un touched and w/o exposure to elements.