Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Non-sports

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I thought it would be nice to have an ongoing poll/thread to keep up with what kind of collectors we have on The Bench. I'm guessing it will be overwhelmingly baseball, but maybe we'll be surprised as to what other kinds of collectors we have here.

Personally, I've been a bit all over the place with my collection through the years. When I first started collecting, as a kid, I collected a little bit of everything. Baseball, basketball, football, Sports Illustrated for Kids, etc. As I got older I started focusing more on specific players, primarily basketball, and had nice collections of Ken Griffey Jr, Kobe Bryant, Stephon Marbury, Kevin Garnett, and Vince Carter. Those were all my favorite players. For the most part, they still are, especially Vince Carter. I quit collecting for many years, and sold/traded away all of those cards.

When I got back into collecting around 2008 I pretty much picked up where I left off. I was collecting primarily basketball, with my main focus (again) on player collecting. This time, however, it was Tony Parker and Vince Carter. I couldn't afford to "super collect" both, so I went with Tony Parker. The main reason is because the Spurs are my favorite basketball team. So, that went on for several years.

At some point I decided to start collecting football cards and started chasing football HOFers. It was fun at first. Then I started realizing there were so many of those old school football players in the HOF that I'd only really heard of. I didn't know anything about them. Being more of a player collector, I didn't like that my collection had so many cards of players that I had no clue about. So, I just started collecting anything and everything again. I started a football group break club that went on for years until it just kind of faded away. I, honestly, can't even remember what happened.

Fast forward to my purchase of The Bench. Being around all of you baseball collectors made me want to give that a try. My main focus is still on my Tony Parker PC, a few Griffey Jr cards here and there, and Vince Carter graded rookies. That said, I now have a larger collection of baseball cards than anything else, and my baseball group break club is going strong.

So, I guess all of that is to say that right now my collection is pretty much baseball and basketball (at the time of this post). I still have quite a few football cards in my collection, but very few of those are cards that I would consider "PC".

There's me and my collection. What kind of cards do you collect?

Also, I did make this poll so that your choices can be changed at any time. If you're like me, your collection could change on a moment's notice.

LukeSellsCards11

Prospect
This is a fun idea! Basketball is my favorite sport, so that has become my main focus as of late. I also collect football and baseball still, which is what I started with. I have been collecting pretty much my whole life, mainly Score Football and Opening Day Baseball because of the quantity. I just about 2-3 years ago, really got a grip on how big the hobby actually is and I am enjoying getting into higher end stuff as well as taking better care of my cards :ROFLMAO:. Look forward to reading other people's collections and preferences!
Thanks,
Luke

jweech

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm a Topps/Topps Chrome baseball guy. I also have a Diamondbacks collection that is a lower priority. I thought about starting a Cardinals (football) collection but decided I had my hands too full with the baseball wants.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I thought about starting a Cardinals (football) collection but decided I had my hands too full with the baseball wants.
Don't even get me started on all the collections I've thought about starting! Luckily most of the time I talk myself out of it for one reason or another. Mostly because I don't want to spend the kind of money that would be necessary. I'd love to try to recoup all my old rookie cards from the years but now they're all $$$. I'd probably have to get rid of the wife and kids in order to afford them all. Haha!

My Tony Parker and Vince Carter needs keep me more than busy, but I wish the hobby would settle back down so more of those are within reach!

rlschles

Prospect
I'm strictly vintage, all sports. My collection is essentially based on the cards I collected as a kid from '64-'70. I started collecting again from about '85-'91, mostly BB and FB, after which I tossed a few shoebox-fuls of commons, like those horrendous yellow Fleers and Red Donruss. In '98-'03 I picked up a few older cards people were dumping at flea markets. Then I just started up again during Covid.

Modern confuses me. Any given year has 25 different cards of the same player. I'm still back on 1 player 1 card per year. Plus, I don't get the speculation. 90% of the valuable cards across all the sports are HoF and a few HoVG that have some kind of long-term interest (Thurman Munson, Bo Jackson, Darryl Strawberry). Why anyone would pay $200K for a Wander Franco RC is beyond me. Even if it's only Pop 5, the chances anyone will remember who Wander Franco is by the time he's 35 are about 1 in 1000. My favorite examples of this are Jerome Walton, Todd van Poppel and Brien Taylor. Anyone who sank serious money into Matt Harvey or Hanley Ramirez or #1 pick Luke Hochevar is sitting there with a pile of 3-penny commons.

Some players come up and are obvious. MJ. Shaq. Trout. Peyton Manning. The vast majority flame out.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Great topic Mike!!

I have been collecting strictly baseball since 1980. Ironically the first cards I remember getting were 1979 Topps football. But baseball has been the one and only sport for me for a very long time. I like to think my collection is pretty extensive. I am up around 350,000 cards as this point. I have a room in my house that is strictly dedicated to my collection. Mine go back to 1959 and continue up to the present day. I have completed all the Topps base sets from 1972 to 2021. I have almost all of the Topps Update sets. I am missing some of those 2002 SP's, the Miguel Cabrera rookie from 2000 and about 20 from 1994. Other than that I have them all. I have tons of inserts from all the major brands and complete sets from most. major brands like Upper Deck, Fleer, Donruss and Score. I just have A LOT of cards. And I will not stop collecting. I just get too much enjoyment out of the hobby. An not from just finding cards I need. Talking to people about cards, helping other collector's find cards they are looking for and just the thrill of the chase gives me real excitement and joy. I know there are a lot of people who are down on the hobby lately. But I will never be one of those people. I have just been one of those guys who has always realized that this is a hobby. I see a lot of people who want this to become their full time job. I think that is very hard for most. If that is something that you can do than I am very happy for you. But I always looked at it as something that I could never do for a living. I would want to just keep everything. I think it is like a drunk buying a bar. Probably not a good idea. I have also brought up the topic to my wife and family about what to do with my collection when I am gone. I just turned 50 last week and I am not getting any younger. I told my family to sell everything. I know they will not get out of this collection the money that I have put into it. But I would like for some people to get the enjoyment out of my cards that I have gotten.

Sorry for the long observation guys but this is just something that I really enjoy.

Bryon

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
350,000 cards!?! I'm not sure I've owned that many cards since I've collected. Actually, I'd be blown away to know that was true.

And I will not stop collecting. I just get too much enjoyment out of the hobby. An not from just finding cards I need. Talking to people about cards, helping other collector's find cards they are looking for and just the thrill of the chase gives me real excitement and joy. I know there are a lot of people who are down on the hobby lately. But I will never be one of those people. I have just been one of those guys who has always realized that this is a hobby.
I love this approach, and its one that we both share. This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun. I think this hobby, like any other hobby really, is whatever you make it. Today I collect Tony Parker and Vince Carter. Tomorrow I may stop chasing both of those and go after something else. Regardless of what I'm collecting at the time, though, I always find enjoyment in the chase.

jweech

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Great topic Mike!!

I have been collecting strictly baseball since 1980. Ironically the first cards I remember getting were 1979 Topps football. But baseball has been the one and only sport for me for a very long time. I like to think my collection is pretty extensive. I am up around 350,000 cards as this point. I have a room in my house that is strictly dedicated to my collection. Mine go back to 1959 and continue up to the present day. I have completed all the Topps base sets from 1972 to 2021. I have almost all of the Topps Update sets. I am missing some of those 2002 SP's, the Miguel Cabrera rookie from 2000 and about 20 from 1994. Other than that I have them all. I have tons of inserts from all the major brands and complete sets from most. major brands like Upper Deck, Fleer, Donruss and Score. I just have A LOT of cards. And I will not stop collecting. I just get too much enjoyment out of the hobby. An not from just finding cards I need. Talking to people about cards, helping other collector's find cards they are looking for and just the thrill of the chase gives me real excitement and joy. I know there are a lot of people who are down on the hobby lately. But I will never be one of those people. I have just been one of those guys who has always realized that this is a hobby. I see a lot of people who want this to become their full time job. I think that is very hard for most. If that is something that you can do than I am very happy for you. But I always looked at it as something that I could never do for a living. I would want to just keep everything. I think it is like a drunk buying a bar. Probably not a good idea. I have also brought up the topic to my wife and family about what to do with my collection when I am gone. I just turned 50 last week and I am not getting any younger. I told my family to sell everything. I know they will not get out of this collection the money that I have put into it. But I would like for some people to get the enjoyment out of my cards that I have gotten.

Sorry for the long observation guys but this is just something that I really enjoy.

Bryon
My wife has repeatedly told me I need to catalog my collection so when that does come, she will know what to do with all this cardboard or so she calls it.

dbacknate

Pro
4.90 star(s)
I am still in HS and I am planning (if there is such a thing) to collect my whole life, and hopefully I accumulate enough that when my children and/or grandchildren inherit the collection when I die, they can either sell it and make a good amount of money or keep it and enjoy it.

rlschles

Prospect
I am still in HS and I am planning (if there is such a thing) to collect my whole life, and hopefully I accumulate enough that when my children and/or grandchildren inherit the collection when I die, they can either sell it and make a good amount of money or keep it and enjoy it.
There is such a thing. I bought my first pack in 1964, 5 cards for a nickel. I still have them. I can even tell you who I got.

Beyond the money, the cards are a window into the history of the game. Here's an example.
I nearly traded someone here a '57 #36. I don't even know if the trader knew who the player was, he needed it to complete a set. It's a common, pitcher named Bob Grim. I've had the card for 50 years. I got curious and read the back - turns out Bob Grim was a Rookie of the Year in 1954. Who knew? Card's still a common, but now I have a little more appreciation for it, and for the player.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Great thread @Mike121 !!

My collection has also ebbed and flowed over the years, based on what I was doing at the time. I collected baseball and a few football cards since I was 5 in 1986. Still have some of those!

I started out in terms of autographs in 1992 with all movie stars and had some greats....Dean Martin, Jack Nicholson, Robert Mitchum, many others. Sold those years ago in 2009 when I lost interest, my wife and I took a fantastic trip! Well worth it!

I then joined the Bench in 2011 and started doing a little trading and a little buying. I had a pretty fun program at a previous middle school I worked at and did raffles of good behavior tickets for chances for our students to win different prizes each month, many of which were baseball autographs! That was fun, and i started building my own PC (if we can really call it that!!) during that time.

2013 rolled around and my job (school social worker) got cut along with the Illinois state budget. I sold a ton of my PC stuff to help with the bills, and people's generosity on here was amazing. I was truly humbled. The Bench has a great place in my heart!

I then found my current job and didn't really start collecting again. Then came Cooperstown in 2019. My 2 best friends and I went, and I got bitten by the bug! I didn't bring a ton home from there, but a soon as I get back I started creating a ton of customs to send out, started buying index cards and focused on the era of baseball that most interested me, specifically the Boys of Summer Brooklyn Dodgers, the classic Negro League players, the AAGPBL, and a few old time HOFers.

So I still buy and sell, have slowed down a little, mostly focused on the 85 Bears at the moment, am really enjoying the customs and TTMs. Have even done a number of customs on commission for a few friends on here, which is awesome and very flattering.

After these are done, who knows! May be heading to Canton with those same 2 friends in June of 2022....wonder if the bug bites me again after that visit??

Blessings,

Kevin

dbacknate

Pro
4.90 star(s)
There is such a thing. I bought my first pack in 1964, 5 cards for a nickel. I still have them. I can even tell you who I got.

Beyond the money, the cards are a window into the history of the game. Here's an example.
I nearly traded someone here a '57 #36. I don't even know if the trader knew who the player was, he needed it to complete a set. It's a common, pitcher named Bob Grim. I've had the card for 50 years. I got curious and read the back - turns out Bob Grim was a Rookie of the Year in 1954. Who knew? Card's still a common, but now I have a little more appreciation for it, and for the player.
Nice! Yep I am really enjoying collecting. Going to try and start on some vintage soon once I have the 2021 set done. Excited to learn about the older days of baseball.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I collect baseball, football and basketball and have recently gotten into hockey. I call myself an opportunistic set builder as if I have the majority of cards for ANY set, I'll try to finish it. I'll piece together anything from an expensive vintage set to a junk wax set if a realistic opportunity arrives. I joke about how I'll walk out of the LCS with both high quality vintage and junk cards in hand at the same time. I did that twice recently. A couple of month ago I took two 1964 Topps Mantle Coins and some 1989 Bowman commons for a set I was working on. And last week I grabbed some BEAUTIFUL 1966 Topps and 1965 Philadelpia Football as well as some 1991 Upper Deck baseball cards for a set at the same time.

I'm like Bryon in that I really love card collecting and get a great deal of enjoyment from it. My brother kids me and says I am emotionally attatched to my cards............and there is some truth to that especially with cards from my youth. I really don't like the modern day cards at all and have not opened a pack since 1992 and don't miss that aspect of collecting at all. That being said I am not lacking in cards from 1992 to the early 2000s since I find it much more financiallyeffecient to buy entire collections vs retail boxes and packs.

The nice thing about this inexplicable sports card boom is everyone is chasing the new, hot thing and I am the only one here interested in the older cards. My "path of least resistance" philosophy once again has paid off since I am the only person interested in cards printed over a month ago. LOL The amount of money I see being spent at the LCS and what that money is purchasing is just mind blowing. The harsh lessons of the late 80s and early 90s have not been passed on to the new generation.......and some of the old generation...........of card collectors it seems.

jweech

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've taken one year off from collecting Topps in the last 40 years and it was the absolute wrong year to do it. 2011. Even with the super inflated prices, I will make sure I get the full set of every years Topps and Update sets.