What Will Big Blue Do at QB?

Boots

5.00 star(s)
As a NY Giants fan, Eli has been the man since being traded for. The drafting of Daniel Jones was a bit of a surprise, not because we know that Eli is reaching the end of the line, but more because of using the # 6 pick on him. At this point, though, that is water over the dam.

So what will the Giants do with Jones? I see several possibilities (not meant to be exclusive:
let him sit all season and watch Eli and, hopefully learn;
depending on any particualr game goes, allow Jones to "mop up" if the game is lopsided;
depending on how the season goes, (i.e if it proves to be a "lost" season (i.e. no chance of the playoffs), let Jones start some games;
spot him at certain points of the game with certain plays designed to maximize talents he has that Eli may lack.

What do you think the future holds for the Giants' QB situation in the 2019 season?

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
spot him at certain points of the game with certain plays designed to maximize talents he has that Eli may lack.

So play Jones on all passing downs??? KIDDING!

I would have never taken him at #6 - but as you state - that is water under the bridge, have to figure out what to do now......

If I were the coach/GM - he would spend the entire year with a headset and a clipboard. Just sit and learn - the team stinks anyway, why ruin the kids confidence by letting him get beat up every week. Don't risk him to injury, if he is your future (and the Eagles fan in me hopes he is), you don't jeopardize him in a lost year. The fans already hate him as a pick, what would happen if he stinks up the joint in a couple mop up starts - confidence will be shot.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I've always been in the minority opinion that the Giants made the correct pick in the 2018 draft when they picked Barkley who turned out to be a premier running back. There is no assurance that any of the qbs available at that spot are going to turn out to be elite. To hear the nay sayers on that pick you'd think the Giants passed on Payton Manning in 1998.

I'd get a serviceable backup QB if I were the Giants in case Manning gets hurt but I would not put Jones in a game unless it is mop up duty. Now picking him at #6 was certainly a questionable choice especially since the Giants could have gotten Josh Rosen for a song and used the #6 pick for a more quality player. If they had gotten Rosen, it would have eliminated the hand wringing over passing on a QB in 2018 since Rosen was one of the highly rated qbs available in that draft.

Now thinking out of the box, I have heard that Clay Bellinger has a son with a rocket arm that plays a different sport. Maybe he could play QB for the Giants once the Dodgers send him to the minors. Plus with his father being from NY, it would be like a homecoming for him in a round about way. Just sayin'.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
No matter what the Giants do, there will be controversy fueled by the NY Press.

I can see the NY media raising heck about the 2019 draft since Jones could have been picked with the 17th pick but I don't see the problem with the Barkley pick. I was a Barkley skeptic but he has totally changed my mind. I'd like to know how many GMs would trade Barkley for one of the QBs picked after him in the 2018 draft. The only one I can see may....and I stress may...... be preferred over Barkley is Darnold. And personally I am not sold that he is the second coming of (fill in elite QBs name here). Personally, I'd take the sure shot Barkley over and of the "might be's" at QB.

The 2 questions that need to be answered several years down the road to determine f the Giants made the right moves are 1) Are any of the QBs in the 2018 draft (Darnold, Allen, Rosen or the current Raven's QB) better than Barkley? And 2) is Jones substantially better than Rosen who could have been picked up for much less than a #6 pick? My guess right now is they made the right move in the 2018 draft and messed up the 2019 one.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I was thinking that, no matter what (absent the Giants getting off to a hot start) , the backpage tabloids will second guess whatever they are doing: if they play Eli and sit Jones and the G-Men are losing, there will be cries for Jones to play; if they play Jones and he doesn't win, they'll cry he shouldn't be thrown to the wolves; if they spot him, they'll complain that either: 1.) he should get more plays, or; 2.) they shouldn't risk injuring him in a season where they are not likely to make the playoffs. You can also think out any number of other scenarios and imagine what the tabloids will print to sell papers.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The 2 questions that need to be answered several years down the road to determine f the Giants made the right moves are 1) Are any of the QBs in the 2018 draft (Darnold, Allen, Rosen or the current Raven's QB) better than Barkley? And 2) is Jones substantially better than Rosen who could have been picked up for much less than a #6 pick? My guess right now is they made the right move in the 2018 draft and messed up the 2019 one.

Think you nailed it -- Rosen was there to be picked up for nothing. Trade for him and use the #6 pick for another piece of the puzzle. No matter how good Barkley ends up being - if they can't get a franchise QB, his time will be wasted and it will be looked at as a wasted pick.