Whatever happened to...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
You know I've been thinking of all the trades I've made over the years and there are a few that I've made many great trades and all of the sudden it seems that they've fallen off the face of the trading world.

One name that stood out for me was Steve Stenberg (ssmariner). He lived in Washington and me in NY and it was typical for me to get my cards from him within 2-3 days. He was easily one of the best traders I've ever dealt with and a good guy too.

In this day and age of money being king and everyone seeming to care more about what a card sells for over the idea of good old-fashioned collecting,it's made me feel a bit nostalgic over the people I've dealt with in the past and I'm glad the Bench is keeping the collecting aspect of our hobby alive.

If you wonder about similar traders and care to share stories of Benchies who have seemed to move away from collecting for whatever reason,feel free to reply. Unlike other sites where it seems reading threads about other traders looks like one big pissing contest,I know there are many positive experiences to be shared here.

I miss Lloyd (aka Legacy) all the time, not only was he a quality trader, he always had a fun sense of humor, kept things Lively around here.

Brett,

I always enjoyed trading with you! One of the first trades I made on the site was with you. There are so many great folks that I have made trades with over the years.

With me on and off the site I could not tell you what happened to a lot of the guys from 2003-2005 when I was really into trading. Nowadays I only buy stuff for my PC because all of the case busting was too costly for the limited returns on the "investment." Being that I don't buy newer stuff, which most people are looking for, I don't make many trades.

With the over 8000 members there is only a small percentage that gets on and it seems cyclical for most of the others. To all of those great traders out there, past or present, happy trading!

Dewayne

I am not missing anyone, because I don't trade in that kind of volume and most of my frequent traders are still active to my knowledge, but the thread got me wondering about members in general.

I noticed a couple things just by scanning the member list that I thought were very interesting. The two that stood out were...

1) One member has been here 7 years and was recently active within the last week according to their profile, but has zero posts and zero trades! I guess they are either entertained by the content of the site or are doing their trades off the radar.

2) One member has almost 150 trades and not one post! Obviously this is a member with a mission.

Nothing wrong with either approach, but just unusual.

I am not missing anyone, because I don't trade in that kind of volume and most of my frequent traders are still active to my knowledge, but the thread got me wondering about members in general.

I noticed a couple things just by scanning the member list that I thought were very interesting. The two that stood out were...

1) One member has been here 7 years and was recently active within the last week according to their profile, but has zero posts and zero trades! I guess they are either entertained by the content of the site or are doing their trades off the radar.

2) One member has almost 150 trades and not one post! Obviously this is a member with a mission.

Perry Mason has nothing on you! That is some in-depth research! I would have never noticed.

Dewayne

I miss Lloyd (aka Legacy) all the time, not only was he a quality trader, he always had a fun sense of humor, kept things Lively around here.

Yes same here...Legacy and I used to have the best conversations at 4-5 am. One of those nights, there were more "guests" on the Bench than registered members!

Crazyderik is another one that comes to mind. He made some 2100 trades here, it was always great trading and chatting with him.

Great thread Brett, thanks for posting.

My friend Steve Nixon (mcgwirenut) was a frequent trader at one point, now I see him on very infrequently.

That's my buddy too.. I actually went down to Murfreesboro, now Woodbury to see him in the summer this year.. He and I talk every week or so. Economy hit him hard. We still trade periodically.

I can relate to some of the members listed. My own personal experience, I was idle for a while. I was trading like crazy from the time I graduated college until about six months before my son was born (roughly 3 1/2-4 years strong). That pushed me out of my hobby room, which became my 2 year old daughters room, and with the new job, no space, and just so much going on, I just couldn't find time to enjoy the hobby! I finally took my father in-laws advice and converted my shed into a new "hobby shed".

I'm sure some of the members that are being mentioned in this thread may be going to through similar situations where they just couldn't do it anymore...and i'm sure some, if not all of them, are just itching to get back into it! 7timecy was a frequent trader of mine, always seemed to come across some Ryan's I needed!

The Bench has been a GREAT place for me since I joined, man I can't even remember...I've got 2 more years until I hit 30, but I feel old, ha ha. I enjoyed reading through this thread so far.

Brett,

I always enjoyed trading with you! One of the first trades I made on the site was with you. There are so many great folks that I have made trades with over the years.

With me on and off the site I could not tell you what happened to a lot of the guys from 2003-2005 when I was really into trading. Nowadays I only buy stuff for my PC because all of the case busting was too costly for the limited returns on the "investment." Being that I don't buy newer stuff, which most people are looking for, I don't make many trades.

With the over 8000 members there is only a small percentage that gets on and it seems cyclical for most of the others. To all of those great traders out there, past or present, happy trading!

Dewayne

Awwww thanks Dewayne *sniff* lol.

I totally know what you're saying. When I first started trading online 8 years ago I was just like everyone else wanting star autos and game used cards,but after awhile it got boring. In the summer of 2003 I picked up a 2002 Topps 206 Pujols auto for $25 at a show and I decided I'd start collecting him.

Now it seems the more I get,the harder it is to make trades for cards I need so I understand where you're coming from because trading for tradebait just doesn't interest me anymore. I've just started my Ike Davis collection so hopefully it'll drum up some more trades.

Back to the original topic,there was a user on another site by the name of Dale Peterson aka GreenFan who helped me immensely in my early Pujols collecting days and we used to make some monster trades.

Also not gonna forget the Crazy one,Derek Winnie. We'd just build up piles of cards over time for each other and once in a while I'd drop em off to his house and if he didn't have anything for me,I never worried because I knew he would eventually and he never let me down.

Yet another long winded response from me but glad y'all are enjoying this thread.

Ironically, the trader wirh 150 trades and no post, I have traded with and occasionally receive an PM from him with a trade offer. Why he does not post must be his style.

I can say luckily, most of the traders I appreciate are still on - Curt, Dewayne, Ed, Matt, Tal, Aaron, Stanley, Craig, Bob, Chief, Kenny, Nick, Steph, David K. and others I have left off.

Todd

Last edited:
Butch ,I know he soometimes ruffeled some feathers and his tact wasn't always the greatest. But Butch was a mod way back when I came on board and was real helpful in getting me settled in here . Made several trades with him. I know he left and went to another site.

Though I still correspond with him occasionally, I really miss Jim Halpin (bosox48). He is the one who directed me here and helped me a lot in my early days here. We have met numerous times at cards shows and such. It really isnt the same without him.

Another that I know isnt around as much as he used to be is my good friend Matt (cano22). I see more of him and a lot of his son's soccer and baseball games (and the occasional Sox game too) but his trading has slowed immensely. He will be back, I am sure. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Jeff

Though I still correspond with him occasionally, I really miss Jim Halpin (bosox48). He is the one who directed me here and helped me a lot in my early days here. We have met numerous times at cards shows and such. It really isnt the same without him.

Another that I know isnt around as much as he used to be is my good friend Matt (cano22). I see more of him and a lot of his son's soccer and baseball games (and the occasional Sox game too) but his trading has slowed immensely. He will be back, I am sure. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Jeff

I also wondered about cano22 as he was very easy to trade with. And if I'm remembering right, he used to plow in the winter, so sometimes he'd be off for like 16-18 hour plowing shifts. Glad that it's just family occupying his time now instead of something bad.

The other ID I'm trying to remember is for Joe ?. I believe he was a mod in 2007 when I joined, and a coach for his 2 boys' baseball team. He was the first person I traded with, and definitely gave me a good first impression with the Bench as a whole. I'll have to see if I can dig up his ID.

I have always wondered what happened to soundCARDen. I made some nice trades with him and we talked by pm all the time, and then one day he just left. He stuck his head in a couple of years ago or so and didnt respond to a pm I sent him. I know there are a lot more that come to mind but he was one of my favorites.