What's on your music playlist?

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Last night at church we were all sharing songs off our playlists so I thought it'd be fun to do it here too.

I am a country boy, so that is mostly what I listen to, but I listen to a wide range of music, from country to hip-hop, so there's no telling what you might find me listening to on any given day.

To start it off, though, I'll share what is currently at the top of my playlist. Even if I'm gonna hit shuffle, I almost always play this one first!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
For a person who thinks everything older is better, my playlist is quite surprising. I love 1960s football, 1960s and 70s baseball, 1970s basketball, 1990s Preo Wrestling ("ECW! ECW!"), 1950s-1970s TV and movies and vintage sportscards, the fact that my music of choice for the last decade is 2000s/2010s Heavy metal/hard rock from Europe is very unexpected!! I have not gone away from this genre in at least the last 10 years. This music is not "out there" by any stretch of the imagination and I'm surprised it has not caught on more in the States.

At any rate here is the song that was my Gateway Drug for this subgenre which is called "Get the Devil out if Me" by a Dutch group called Delain.

Last edited:

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
At any rate here is the song that was my Gateway Drug for this subgenre which is called "Get the Devil out if Me" by a Dutch group called Delain.
This was a pretty good song that I'd never heard before. Definitely going to have to look up some more of their stuff for the ol' playlist. Thanks!

Oh, also, Charlotte Wessels is quite the looker!

Last edited:

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Yeah there are a whole lot of women metal singers over there that tend to be quite good looking and actually can sing and write music. They say rock is dead but in fact it just moved to Mainland Europe. There are more fantastic groups coming out of there than you can imagine. Delain is probably the third biggest Symphonic Metal group out of the Netherlands after Within Temptation and Epica. Nightwish from Finland is the preeminent group in the genre and after listening to some of theor songs it is easy to see why.

Delain put out a tremendous string of albums and EPs from 2008 to 2019. I was not too happy with their last album but that previous 10 year run was just fantastic.

Here is another Delain sog from their early days that you might like.

This is an interesting topic that hopefully will have alot more posts.

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
I listen to full albums of Miles Davis, Yusef Lateef, and from my youth John Mellancamp’s “Uh-Huh” album.

For singles my tastes range songs like OutKast‘S “Hey Ya!”, Peter Schilling’s “Major Tom” (Thank you Umbrella Academy foe reminding about this song) and anything by Otis Redding, U2 and R.E.M. I have recently gotten into 60s garage band music through YouTube and have discovered music of bands who were not known outside of their hometowns.

Finally, I know it’s going to sound weird but in the mornings I listen to temple music, mostly singing bowls and gongs, from Japan and Tibet when I meditate and stretch for the upcoming day every morning for about 25 minutes.

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
@Jaybo374, sounds like your listening is all over the place like mine! Nothing is weird to listen to. I like almost all music!

Right now I'm enjoying this classic brought back into the light by a popular cranberry juice drinking skater on TikTok.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
@Jaybo374, sounds like your listening is all over the place like mine! Nothing is weird to listen to. I like almost all music!

Right now I'm enjoying this classic brought back into the light by a popular cranberry juice drinking skater on TikTok.

Did you see where Dreams hit #1 on Itunes last week and got to #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 ? It is like 1977 all over again...........not that I'd know anything about that......allegedly.....or so I'll claim

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Did you see where Dreams hit #1 on Itunes last week and got to #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 ? It is like 1977 all over again...........not that I'd know anything about that......allegedly.....or so I'll claim
Ha! Nice! I hadn't seen that, but it's not surprising. It's a good song that younger folks today, likely, had never heard before the TikTok video.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I listen to full albums of Miles Davis, Yusef Lateef, and from my youth John Mellancamp’s “Uh-Huh” album.

For singles my tastes range songs like OutKast‘S “Hey Ya!”, Peter Schilling’s “Major Tom” (Thank you Umbrella Academy foe reminding about this song) and anything by Otis Redding, U2 and R.E.M. I have recently gotten into 60s garage band music through YouTube and have discovered music of bands who were not known outside of their hometowns.

Finally, I know it’s going to sound weird but in the mornings I listen to temple music, mostly singing bowls and gongs, from Japan and Tibet when I meditate and stretch for the upcoming day every morning for about 25 minutes.
Not to give away my age or anything but one of the first things I remember when I went to college were flyers all over campus promoting a concert by John Cougar who was a one hit wonder at that time with "I need a lover'. The flier had the picture of his album cover that showed a face shot with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

I thought your playlist was going to be dominated by whatever your daughter was currently listening to which I am guessing would not beJapanesee singing bowls and gongs! LOL

I discovered a German Power/Symphonic Metal band called Beyond the Black this year which really impressed me. I've watched a lot of amatur concert footage of them and they really are the real deal especially the lead singer Jennifer Haben who has great stage presence and can really sing!. Unfortunately their album they put out this Summer went heavily towards pop which I hope was a one time thing.

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
I have given up trying to figure my kid‘s music. For the most part, I can’t stand her current music. Now since she’s driving, she cranks it up in my car when she picks me up at work. If I didn’t know better, I’d say she was doing it on purpose so my colleagues would harass me.

When did I get so old? (sigh)

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I have given up trying to figure my kid‘s music. For the most part, I can’t stand her current music. Now since she’s driving, she cranks it up in my car when she picks me up at work. If I didn’t know better, I’d say she was doing it on purpose so my colleagues would harass me.

When did I get so old? (sigh)
I can relate! I listen to a lot of different stuff, but some of the stuff my oldest son listens to just drives me crazy! I have got him mostly trained to turn the volume down in my car, and change it back to my station before he gets out!

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I picked this up on remastered vinyl a few weeks ago and got around to spinning it a few times.
I'd never listened to, or maybe even heard of, Pink Floyd before a guy named Vic started working with me. At first I wasn't a fan, but listening to him play it every day it started to rub off on me. He'd take his guitar up to our sound board, put YouTube on and just jam out with it. He passed away in February and they played one of his recordings of this song at the funeral. Without Vic I, likely, never would have ever even heard this song, but now I love it and it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I'd never listened to, or maybe even heard of, Pink Floyd before a guy named Vic started working with me.
Damn! Now I'm really feeling old!

I think a lot of my disdain for today's popular music has to do with the execution of the songs and how they are arranged. When some of the artists that I like cover some of those pop songs that I can't stand, I suddenly realize that the songs are not the issue but the way they are played is the problem for me.

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
95% of covers are word vomit. I specifically remember when Britney Spears tried to cover The Rolling Stones’ Satisfaction and i almost passed out.
That being said, i have an extremely eclectic music taste. Classic Rock, Country, Rap, Pop. I’m a total music nerd. I can listen to Garth Brooks, Otis Redding, Led Zeppelin, and Weezer in 4 consecutive songs any day of the week

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
So when I was in High School, we had our favorites (Prince, Bon Jovi, GnR, classic 80's stuff.) Parents always listened to Country and mom loved Elvis so those are sprinkled in when I got on Spotify several years ago my playlist runs from everything listed above to some current that the kids listen to, like Post Malone and Imagine Dragons. I did several months ago, I made a massive playlist based on a book that I got in 2002. it is, according to the author the top 5000 songs from the Rock Era. (1956-2002) He based it on the Weekly Hot 100 Billboard charts and gave points to each song based on time on the charts, top position, number of weeks at number 1 ext... I knew alot of them, but there were some new ones that I'd never heard and one of my faves has been this one..

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
This thread is turning into exactly what I'd hoped already. Several songs posted I'd never heard before, and ones I like quite a bit.

@Kirbyfan34, I'm not surprised I like that song because I like a lot of classical music, but I am surprised I'd never heard this one before. That one was a good one, for sure. Thanks for sharing!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
So when I was in High School, we had our favorites (Prince, Bon Jovi, GnR, classic 80's stuff.) Parents always listened to Country and mom loved Elvis so those are sprinkled in when I got on Spotify several years ago my playlist runs from everything listed above to some current that the kids listen to, like Post Malone and Imagine Dragons. I did several months ago, I made a massive playlist based on a book that I got in 2002. it is, according to the author the top 5000 songs from the Rock Era. (1956-2002) He based it on the Weekly Hot 100 Billboard charts and gave points to each song based on time on the charts, top position, number of weeks at number 1 ext... I knew alot of them, but there were some new ones that I'd never heard and one of my faves has been this one..
I had never heard of that song or artist until your post. Not knowing that song was not surprisng but not ever hearing of the artist was really surprising. Turns out he died of a heart attack in 1964 at the age of 27, thus joining the tragic 27 Club.

I was wondering if you remembered what song from that 2002 book was rated #1 in the Rock era? If it were strictly from the hard rock genre I'd have guessed Hey Jude or Stairway to Heaven. But since it is from the more broad definition of Rock, I'm going to guess Thiller by Michael Jackson.

Since this thread started out with a Country song, I'll add a song from my favorite Country artist which is a disbanded group called Cross Canadian Ragweed. They were big in the Texas/Red Dirt scene but only had marginal success in Nashville. CMT used to play some of their videos on a semi regular basis but they were too Rock for Country and too Country for Rock and quite politically incorrect for their time.

They were born 30 years too soon or they would have been a much bigger act outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Cross Canadian Ragweed! These guys were awesome! We saw them quite a few times in Wichita Falls, TX before they were "famous". First song I ever learned to play on guitar was Carney Man.