What's on your music playlist?

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Cross Canadian Ragweed! These guys were awesome! We saw them quite a few times in Wichita Falls, TX before they were "famous". First song I ever learned to play on guitar was Carney Man.
I have to admit I'm jealous as I always wanted to see them live. They played at the Rochester NY jazz fest in 2008 (that concert is all over YouTube) where my brother lives and I had no idea they were there! Rochester is only three hours from me and I found out they were there a week too late! UGH!!! I'm so sorry they broke up as I just loved their sound. Cody Canada on guitar is just fantastic!

Like Delain for me, Ragweed put out 3 or 4 consecutive albums that were just awesome frpm front to back. No filler songs with those guys. My introduction to them was "Sick and Tired" which had Lee Ann Womack in it. I thought she was actually in the group at first!!! Oddly enough the Country Traditionalist Lee Ann was a perfect fit with rockin' Ragweed.

I'm happy as hell that someone here knows of Cross Canadian Rageweed and almost certianly knows more about them than I do!!

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
My little country town was eaten up with Texas Country / Red Dirt up until several years ago and it kinda just went away. Everyone around here was either in a band, or had a friend in a band. We had 2-3 annual music festivals here where lots of red dirt bands would come play. They were all day ordeals, starting well before noon and lasting until 2-3am. One of them is still going on. It was last month, actually, but it's not nearly as big as it used to be. There is no telling how many CCR songs were played during those festivals, but one song that was 100% sure to be played at some point, or at multiple times, during those festivals was Copperhead Road. It was like the red dirt anthem, or so it seemed.

For those here who don't know what that is...I can hear the woman screaming like mad already...

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
My brother always raves about Copperhead Road by Steve Earle back in the day. I know the artist but I'm not that familiar with that song so I'll check it out tomorrrow.

Mike since you are our resident Red Dirt expert can you tell me is there more talent onstage or offstage in this video??

As much as I love Ragweed I think I'm going to go with offstage! Man, it did not suck to be in that band! And you thought the only talent out of Oklahoma State was Barry Sanders!! LMAO

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Mike since you are our resident Red Dirt expert can you tell me is there more talent onstage or offstage in this video??

As much as I love Ragweed I think I'm going to go with offstage! Man, it did not suck to be in that band! And you thought the only talent out of Oklahoma State was Barry Sanders!! LMAO
I wouldn't say expert, especially now. My son on the other hand...

I can say, though, there is DEFINITELY more talent in the crowd! 😍 The thing about being at outdoor shows like this is you may never even look on stage. Just listen to the music and enjoy the scenery! At least that's my experience.

There are probably better musicians in the crowd too, if we're being serious.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
OK I checked out "Copperhead Road" and am pretty sure I've heard the song at least once before but had no idea there was a video for it. My brother lived in backwoods Alabama for a few years and he always said he lived on Copperhead Road and used to drop lyrics from that song constantly. I know he was big on Earle's Guitar Town album too. I'll have to ask him if he has ever seen the video before...........I'm 99% sure the answer will be Yes. It looks like there is a video for Guitar Town too which I'll have to check out.

Man Steve Earle looks a lot different these days as well as in the 2000s! I don't think I had ever seen younger pictures of him before. And as you probably know his son, Justin Townes Earle, died recently at a very young age.

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
My favorite song of all time is Staying Alive by The Bee Gees. I'm not a disco fan, but I love that song. If I'm having a bad day, I pop that song on and instantly my mood changes. I listen to almost every genre of music, but in high school, it was primarily rap/hip-hop. As I got older, my taste in music changed. Blink-182, Weezer and Incubus are my favorite alt-rock bands. Still love my 90's hip-hop though and will always hold tight on my word that it was better in the 90's than it is today. Although I do like some of the newer stuff, you can't beat Ice Cube, Outkast, 2Pac, Mystikal or Naughty by Nature. I also love Rob Zombie and Korn!!

Billy

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
I love the Truckfighters and their fuzzy, stoner rock sound..........Seen them in Memphis back in February before everything shut down.....

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Lacuna Coil is a Gothic Metal band from Italy that is definately an artist on my playlist. At least 3 of their songs wuld be in my top 100 songs of all time. My Spirit was a tribute to their friend Peter Steele the frontman of Type O Negative when he passed away in his late 40s. This song is great as it is but the soaring guitar solo in the final minute and a half of the song puts it on another level for me.

Lacuna Coil has a male singer and a female singer but for some reason Cristina Scabbia is featured in most of the pictures. I wonder why that is? Well I guess it is eiher pictures of her or the rest of the band that look like cast members of Sons of Anarchy. LOL

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I am extremely eclectic with my musical choices - almost nothing I won't listen too (mumble rap may be the exception). I probably have a half dozen different "playlists" on my phone through youtube.

Hair Metal kicking off with Guns & Roses and Def Leppard.
New Wave kicking off with New Order and Fine Young Cannibals
Current Pop kicking off with One Direction and Shawn Mendes
80's Pop kicking off with Rick Astley
Not even sure what to call the next one -- it kicks off with Don Diablo - Save a Little Love. Got hooked on it while at a bar - was only able to see the video, couldn't even hear the song, but googled it and fell in love with the song -- maybe I call it House? since it also includes Sia and Avicil.

The final one is the one that drives my wife nuts, she despises it immensely - but it is from one of those movies that I am slightly embarrassed to profess enjoying - but will watch it every time it comes on. It it the final performance from the Barden Bellas in Pitch Perfect.

It always amazes me how it just fills in song after song - very rarely do I skip anything that shows up.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
I had never heard of that song or artist until your post. Not knowing that song was not surprisng but not ever hearing of the artist was really surprising. Turns out he died of a heart attack in 1964 at the age of 27, thus joining the tragic 27 Club.

I was wondering if you remembered what song from that 2002 book was rated #1 in the Rock era? If it were strictly from the hard rock genre I'd have guessed Hey Jude or Stairway to Heaven. But since it is from the more broad definition of Rock, I'm going to guess Thiller by Michael Jackson.

Since this thread started out with a Country song, I'll add a song from my favorite Country artist which is a disbanded group called Cross Canadian Ragweed. They were big in the Texas/Red Dirt scene but only had marginal success in Nashville. CMT used to play some of their videos on a semi regular basis but they were too Rock for Country and too Country for Rock and quite politically incorrect for their time.

They were born 30 years too soon or they would have been a much bigger act outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

Yes, It was Smooth by Carlos Santana Ft Rob Thomas. Ironically it wasn't one that spent the most weeks at #1, but the amount of time at number 1 and subsequent other time on the charts gave it enough points to put it at the top. Hey Jude finished in the top 50, I believe at 36 and was the highest rated song by the Beatles.
It's funny, because a former co worker and I were discussing this book a few years ago and when I had originally purchased it, my goal was to get each song on a cd, and get a 100 disc changer to play them all. Thankfully technology evolved and spotify had 99.6 percent of the songs, most were original recordings which I wanted and with a bunch of double sided singles that were hits (i.e Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog) and a few by CCR and other in total equals 4897 songs totaling 307 hours of music, which is roughly 3 and a half weeks. There is another edition of the book that runs through 2007. Also if anyone is on spotify and would like to follow it, just search Top 5000 1956-2002.

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Going to try to embed the Don Diablo video here. Looks like it should be a walk in the park...
I'm not sure if you just posted the link, or used the MEDIA tags. If you did use the MEDIA tags, though, you should know that you only need to post a link to the YouTube video and the site will automatically convert the link to a MEDIA embedded item and show the video.

Also, another good song I'd never heard. I like the video too. I've always been a fan of those shuffle dancers. I told the wife I was gonna learn to do it but she just kinda laughed like I was joking...that was years ago, though, and I still just watch it on YouTube so I guess she knew something I didn't...

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Yes, It was Smooth by Carlos Santana Ft Rob Thomas. Ironically it wasn't one that spent the most weeks at #1, but the amount of time at number 1 and subsequent other time on the charts gave it enough points to put it at the top. Hey Jude finished in the top 50, I believe at 36 and was the highest rated song by the Beatles.
It's funny, because a former co worker and I were discussing this book a few years ago and when I had originally purchased it, my goal was to get each song on a cd, and get a 100 disc changer to play them all. Thankfully technology evolved and spotify had 99.6 percent of the songs, most were original recordings which I wanted and with a bunch of double sided singles that were hits (i.e Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog) and a few by CCR and other in total equals 4897 songs totaling 307 hours of music, which is roughly 3 and a half weeks. There is another edition of the book that runs through 2007. Also if anyone is on spotify and would like to follow it, just search Top 5000 1956-2002.
You could have given me an infinate number of guesses of that top rated song and I'd never come up with that one!! If you told me it was a Santana song I would have definately thought Black Magic Woman was the answer.

Interesting music genres of choice for members here so far. Given this board is an older male demo (at least that is my assumption) I'd have thought the genre of choice would have been Classic Rock but that does not seem to be the case up to now. I grew up on Classic Rock, which definately shapes my music tastes, but I rarely ever listen to it since I have heard those songs so many times. Thankfully YouTube has been the source for new music that at least falls generally under the same umbrella that Classic Rock does like the following from Within Temptation.