What's the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theguru14

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Can anybody tell based on the pics why one got a 5 and the other got an 8? Does PSA give you details of why a card gets a certain grade? Not sure why I couldnt get the back of the PSA 5 any clearly than I have it. The PSA 5 is a thicker case, but has no back hologram sticker.

Bernie PSA (1).jpg
Bernie PSA (2).jpg

Also, very hard to tell from pictures if the surface has small scratches on it as that is one of the criteria. Surface, corners, centering and edges. At least that would be my guess...

Also, very hard to tell from pictures if the surface has small scratches on it as that is one of the criteria. Surface, corners, centering and edges. At least that would be my guess...
I cant tell and I have the card in front of me. :LOL: Does PSA not tell you why they gave you a certain grade?

Back centering is off some on the 5. But doesnt seem like its enough to grade so low. Good question.

Too me the centering in the front of the card is slightly better in the 5 than the 8. I think I now see a light bend in the upper right corner on the 5. I have no idea. I have never tried to dissect a graded card before.

Too me the centering in the front of the card is slightly better in the 5 than the 8. I think I now see a light bend in the upper right corner on the 5. I have no idea. I have never tried to dissect a graded card before.
I agree- the centering on the 5 is better. Back centering carries very little weight with them compared to anything on the front, edges or corners. Usually when it's hard to tell why a card got a grade that low, it's something about the surface. Maybe hairline scratches or something like that. Hold it up to good lighting at an angle and move it around. Maybe you'll spot something.

To answer your other question- no they unfortunately do not explain why a card graded the way it did. I always thought that would be a great upcharge option for them.

That could be enough to do it. I can see it from the pic on the back so in person I'm sure it's pretty noticeable. Seems harsh but anything more than a tiny ding could definitely cost you 3-4 grade points.

Thanks for the dissection of the grading of the card guys. This grading game is bananas!!! I dont know if I will ever submit any of my cards to get graded. You need a jewelers eye to grade these cards. I bought both back to back by accident. I only wanted one.

Usually when it's hard to tell why a card got a grade that low, it's something about the surface. Maybe hairline scratches or something like that.

I think Zack nailed it. Most likely an extremely small surface wrinkle.

Thanks
Craig

*Crack the PSA 5 and get a better look. Good way to learn. Now, if you don't see anything... Resub! (Assuming the value is there?)