When It Was A Game on HBO

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
Sitting here getting packages ready and watching this show on HBO. Man, it was no wonder baseball was America's game back then. Gives me chills watching that old footage, and I find myself wishing that I had been around back then to take in a game. A major theme is the fact that the players back then were for the most part just regular guys. They didn't make any more money than the average guy, and in lots of cases less. This made them so much more relatable to the fans. Talking about riding the subway to Ebbets Field or the Polo Grounds and striking up conversations with fans on the way! There was a bit on the Brooklyn Dodgers talking about how most of the players lived in the regular neighborhoods, right in the midst of the regular folks.

I guess watching this show saddens me for the present game. Money has ruined it in my opinion, as far as it being that intimate part of American culture.

chaplain11

5.00 star(s)
I have seen all three of the 'When It Was a Game" documentaries and they are awesome! I feel the same way you do regarding it being America's Past time back then moreso than today. I can't blame guys for taking the money because I would probably do the same thing but it made it much more personable back then it seems. Too bad things can not get back to the way they used to be.

Dewayne

Loyalty32

5.00 star(s)
I just watched WIWAG 3 a couple days ago. I agree with you Tim. I would have loved to have lived during that era.

Thanks
Craig

Sponsors