Who's Doing Well Right Now ?

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
It's really bad, financially, for me right now. In january I did one job by myself took a day and two jobs only one day long for myself and a helper and it's been like this for close to a year now. I borrowed money from my sister in november, it's all gone, have like 50 bucks in the bank and everything I'm selling on ebay I'm taking a loss on because of declining prices. Most stuff seems to have taken a 20-40% hit.

How about some good news ? It can be quite depressing sometimes so I'd love to hear from people that are doing well.

dankir96

5.00 star(s)
I feel your pain. I had a full time job with the Delaware Army National Guard from 2005 through 2008 and then my orders expired. I was out of work for 10 months. I have a mortgage, two kids, a car payment, school tuition, etc. To say the least it was tough. Both my wife & I took money out of our retirement accounts a few times just to pay the mortgage. My father and father in law helped us out with a couple mortgage payments. Somehow we kept our heads above water and didn't lose our house. Fortunately I started a new full time job with the Delaware Army National Guard in December. The money is great and we're very fortunate. My advice to you...Stay positive and it will work out. Good luck.

97honda

5.00 star(s)
I am doing fairly well. I am actually slowly pulling myself out of debt and keeping a steady job as a manager.

loftheb

5.00 star(s)
I am the manager of a title insurance company in Wisconsin. Last week, I had to announce that everyone had their hours cut from 80 to 64 per pay period.
The good news is that this is temporary (probably), and that we are not laying people off. Most of the other companies around here are laying people off and closing doors.
We have seen good trends in real estate around here. For the first time in 2 years, the number of houses on the market went down. There are still plenty of houses just sitting around empty, but this month, there's just a few less. Hopefully, that trend continues, and we get back to busy like normal as homes start to sell.
The unemployment numbers nation wide are still above 10 percent, and although we've had it very mild around here compared to the national picture (6%), until the unemployment numbers go down we don't see home sales going up.
Overall, we're projecting 2011 as the breakout year.
Good luck to everyone who needs it. Times are tough. We will make it through, though.
-Casey

rynofan23

5.00 star(s)
I've been lucky the past couple years. My salary has increased by almost double in two years. However, it is bittersweet since many people with whom I have worked closely lost their jobs today.

It's an old cliche, but I'm living it day by day. Who knows if my job will be here tomorrow.

Tai

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
That what I was hoping to hear..........Not that things are back to "normal" yet but things are trending up.

The company I do the majority of my work for told me that january they quoted more jobs than they had in quite some time.

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
Things for my wife and I have been very good the last 2 years, both of us have found new jobs after putting in our 2 weeks at others, and greatly increased our income over that period as well. In no way do I take it for granted, I am thankful everyday for what we have, and we work very hard to keep it the way it is or better.

The trend definetely seems to be up over the last year, atleast in Montana. The future is very bright.

Conan said it best:

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

Conan O'Brien

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited:

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
The company I work for has gone from like 25 people to around 60 while the rest of the country has been falling apart. We do military contract work mostly. So it has been sort of a mixed blessing, as other companies have lost contracts and had to let people go, we've been able to pick up a lot of great, talented people that wouldn't have otherwise been on the market.

avstars

5.00 star(s)
Yea, I really almost don't buy cards as of right now because I'm also unemployed. There's almost no point. Stay positive. The Census Bureau is hiring temporary jobs for their 2010 census if you want to keep that in mind.

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Yea, I really almost don't buy cards as of right now because I'm also unemployed. There's almost no point. Stay positive. The Census Bureau is hiring temporary jobs for their 2010 census if you want to keep that in mind.

Good thought, I might look into that.

I'm also going to look into delivering phone books. VERY temporary right when they first print new ones but they used to pay pretty good money if you had a station wagon or van. My 8-10 mpg gas guzzling 1 ton van might be an asset instead of just the money pit it is right now.

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
Cash has been pretty tight around these parts also. Made nearly $14K less in '09 than I did in '08 due to my company cutting out all overtime. My wife had to go back to work for the first time since my daughter was born nine years ago. But, we are now getting four hours of overtime per pay period and we are pushing steel out the door like crazy so it appears things are improving somewhat.

entersandman

5.00 star(s)
The Census is looking to hire. Very temporary but the pay is very well. Just schedule a test asap as ive seen the book get scheduled very quickly. (I set up tests in the queens area :))

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
I am a teacher I am thankful that I still have a job. Things are are not great, but I am at least paying my bills and keeping my head above water.

However, the governor announced that my school will lose several hundreds of thousands of dollars in state aid that was promised for this year. I live in rural upstate NY where the population is decreasing so I know that something like around 10% of my school's faculty will probably be let go for next September. Thankfully, I have some seniority and that I am certified to teach in three subjects so I think that I will be retained.

To everyone out there struggling, hang in there. I remember before I was hired I was a substitute teacher and the pay was low and the number of days I worked irregular. You just have to believe things will get better.

If you are not working, go out and make some new contacts. When I had too much time on my hands during summers, I volunteered at a local soup kitchen and it was there that I met my first administrator.

Jay

dankir96

5.00 star(s)
To whom are you speaking ? As far as I can tell nobody's said anything political in nature.

I made a comment about a certain president. Somehow it was taken that I was trying to turn this into a political debate...which I wasn't. I was simply stating my opinion.