why do buyers on ebay do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
hey guys,
i recently had a buyer on ebay. send me a message saying that he was disappointed in the condition of the cards he bought from me and wanted me. i told him no problem send the cards back and ill refund him. he then sent a message saying " i want to keep the cards, but i want a partial refund or ill leave you negative feedback" i then replied, i dont do partial refunds, especially if the cards are so horrible, why do you want to keep them? if they are that bad them send them back for a refund (they cant be that bad if the buyer wants to keep them) he then responded ' i dont want to pay return shipping' i then replied no problem,, ill reimburse you also for the return shipping costs, 5 mins later he leaves me a negative! then send me a message saying " the best thing about ebay feedback is the buyer always gets the last word! i dont know why people are scammers like that especially since he knows ebay will ALWAYS side with the buyer. he totally scammed me. i reported to ebay to have the negative removed since he sent all these messages via ebay messages and it was clear he made the threat give me money or else ill leave you negative. of course ebay left the feedback up, did nothing about it and didnt even respond back to my request! is it just me or does anyone else see that our hobby is full of scammers? (those that buy on ebay not here)

I purchased a game used a couple months ago for about $3 and was upset about the condition of the card. I requested a $1.50 refund since it wouldn't be practical to ship it back. The seller obliged however sometimes they don't.

Another story I have is about 5 years ago I sold a used copy of GTA IV for my ps3. A guy with less than 10 feedback buys the it for however much and sends me a message in broken English explaining how he always requests the seller sends first and how he's a Biblical man etc and just a whole schmeal about NOTHING. I told him that I'm not shipping his product and he needs to realize the rules of eBay. Then he leaves a negative. I call eBay customer support and tell them I've been on eBay for over 12 years with over 3500 feedback at 100% and they say there's nothing they can do.

It can go both ways I guess, last month a buyer took about a laptop I sold and wanted to return it because it didn't work. I told him I can't guarantee the machine was in it's original state anymore and opened a case. He admitted in a message he took the machine apart and eBay ACTUALLY SIDED WITH ME. He ended up buying it and paying for shipping, paying for shipping to send it back to me (because he thought ebay would side with him) then I CHARGED HIM to ship it back and wasting my time. So all in all he lost about 75 bucks off the ordeal for being unlucky and ignorant to rules.

I don't mean to focus on me or anything just thought I'd share and relate. It sucks your not alone!

Don't understand why ebay did not reply to you....to me if you included copies of his messages.....its clearly shows he was trying to blackmail you into partial refund. Best regards, David

@david..not sure. i think ebay is just a total joke and doesnt want to **** off the buyers as the buyers have the money.

@chief, yes, the cards with in nr-mt condition. no problems at all, just the buyer being a scammer.

I received negative feedback on Ebay buyer claimed they never received item after a month.

I receive this email

Dear Mr Camp,

My name is Julia Fields my husband recently bought an item (figure) from you.I wanted to let you know the feedback my husband left you was unjust,we got into an arguement and like a 2 year old he tossed the figure into our fire place,i will be contacting Ebay concerning this and hopefully the negative feedback will be removed,again i want to apologize for the negative feedback my
husband left you.

Yours Truly,
Julia Fields

I was in total shock that she would send the email..but extremely happy she did...about a week later Ebay sent me an email stating negative had been removed

I printed out the email and still have it.

AHAHAH that's literally the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

I received negative feedback on Ebay buyer claimed they never received item after a month.

I receive this email

Dear Mr Camp,

My name is Julia Fields my husband recently bought an item (figure) from you.I wanted to let you know the feedback my husband left you was unjust,we got into an arguement and like a 2 year old he tossed the figure into our fire place,i will be contacting Ebay concerning this and hopefully the negative feedback will be removed,again i want to apologize for the negative feedback my
husband left you.

Yours Truly,
Julia Fields

I was in total shock that she would send the email..but extremely happy she did...about a week later Ebay sent me an email stating negative had been removed

I printed out the email and still have it.

Did you call ebay and talk with someone? If you go through the messages with them and pretty much point out to them that you are being blackmailed with receiving a negative, you might have a better case than sending them an email...just be persistent, maybe even talk to their supervisor and explain the issue as well, especially if you have been a member for 12 years (i do not know how long he has been on Ebay for). I have been on Ebay for a similar time, and I've had a couple of issues and they have sided with me before. There is seller protection you know. May want to look into it.