why do traders treat other traders like we are morons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was on another forum and someone posted looking to buy lots. So I sent him a link to a lot of 37 cards that i was asking 150 for. nothing earth shattering but a majority would sell on the boards for 4-5 bucks some more some less. I was asking 150. The pm i get back says

"a majority of those i could get for 1 dollar apeice I have even found a joe namath auto in a lot of 1 dollar cards(no lie lol) i doubt you would get 150 for that lot even before fees"

My response was

"you and i both know these are no 1 dollar cards, ive been around for awhile and im not a moron. next time a simple yes or no will suffice"

my response wasnt really as polite as i normally try to be but i was a little annoyed because the guy clearly thought he was going to pull one over on me.

I put him on ignore after getting that message because i generally put unreasonable people on ignore so i dont deal with them over and over.

But why do traders treat other traders like we are morons? ive been around i have over 100 feedback on both sites i deal on and ebay and i still get tons of people that feel the need to talk down to me like im some sort of idiot.

I know what 1 dollar cards are and i know your not going to get a nice dual patch card of torii hunter for 1 dollar or an auto of a top prospect in this years upcoming draft for 1 dollar and yet someone is trying to tell me they are 1 dollar cards. Do members really think other members are that dumb that just because he told me they were 1 dollar cards im going to sell to him for that price?

sorry for the rant but i just dont understand why members treat other members like they are morons.

EDIT- i just offered the lot to another member on that board who said he was lookign to buy lots. again around 150 sale value in the lot and he offered me 5 dollars 5!!!!!!!!!!. i dont get what im doing wrong here lol.

Last edited:
I think people try to pay less in order to turn a card or cards for a profit...................Look at all those Pujols and whoever 1 of 1's that are fake on eBay.....................Just a way of making a buck................As everyone here knows, it's hurting the hobby..................Why would a kid go into Walmart and buy a pack of $2 cards when he sees a middle aged man squatting on the floor with a digital scale measuring pack weights? So what, the old guys is going to pull an Austin Kearns auto? What's that worth on eBay? $1.......................Plus S/H of course......................Just my thoughts....................Mike

I think people try to pay less in order to turn a card or cards for a profit...................Look at all those Pujols and whoever 1 of 1's that are fake on eBay.....................Just a way of making a buck................As everyone here knows, it's hurting the hobby..................Why would a kid go into Walmart and buy a pack of $2 cards when he sees a middle aged man squatting on the floor with a digital scale measuring pack weights? So what, the old guys is going to pull an Austin Kearns auto? What's that worth on eBay? $1.......................Plus S/H of course......................Just my thoughts....................Mike

I understand wanting profit, i myself buy and sell to make a profit. but when i make buy threads im very open about the fact that i buy for a profit and that im usually going to be buying at around 70-75 percent of sale value. But its people like the one i dealt with that try to talk down the value of others cards and then expect us to believe it that annoys me.

i just had another member get back to me on the same lot. again the lot has around 150 in sale value and he offered me 5 dollars 5!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like the only thing you can do is break up the lot and sell the cards individually on Ebay.

I had a guy awhile back that wouldn't trade me a $50 Longoria auto for $50 worth of autos(3 card lot) because he didn't want to trade down.

He ended up trading me a Phil Hughes auto & Joey Votto auto for them that equaled $50. The funny thing is the Votto sells for more than the Longoria even though it books for half the value.

So I sold the Votto and bought the Longoria and had a little money left over and a Phil Hughes auto.

Sounds to me like the only thing you can do is break up the lot and sell the cards individually on Ebay.

I had a guy awhile back that wouldn't trade me a $50 Longoria auto for $50 worth of autos(3 card lot) because he didn't want to trade down.

He ended up trading me a Phil Hughes auto & Joey Votto auto for them that equaled $50. The funny thing is the Votto sells for more than the Longoria even though it books for half the value.

So I sold the Votto and bought the Longoria and had a little money left over and a Phil Hughes auto.

thats kind of funny some traders only see bv and dont see anything else. i have the lot on ebay but im trying to sell it on the boards if possible to avoid paying 12-15 percent fees. its not so much that people dont want it its the way that the first guy was pretty much rude about it. when someone sends me cards with an offer ill either counter offer or so no i dont sit there and tell them they have worthless cards. and the 5 dollar offer i just posted because thats a laugher. i replied and told him there was around 150 sale value in there and he replied and said "well i buy to resell so i could offer 15 shipped" lol.

I understand the fees but from my experience it is tough to sell things on these boards because people always want to buy for less than what stuff actually sells for.

That's the main reason I made the comment about ebay.

I understand the fees but from my experience it is tough to sell things on these boards because people always want to buy for less than what stuff actually sells for.

That's the main reason I made the comment about ebay.

yea i understand. im more annoyed with the first guy pretty much being a jerk about it rather then saying no. the second guy with the 5 then 15 dollar offer is more laughable then anything

Share with us the lot you want $150 for. Maybe it's only worth $150 to you.

Remember too that random lots don't appeal to too many people. Why spend $150 on a lot to get a few cards, when I can pay a little more per card on average and get exactly what I want for much less. Lots like those appeal to those who think they can resell for more, so they need to be cheap.

Here is an example of a lot. Tell me what you think this just sold for? The pic may be a little small, so here is who is included:

Brian/Floyd Bannister Dual AU
Scott Kazmir/Ian Snell Dual AU
Orlando Hudson GU/AU
Scott Hairston AU
Ryan Garko AU
Morgan Ensberg (I think this is TTM/IP, not certified)
Jermaine Dye AU
Elijah Dukes AU
Ramon Vasquez AU

Now this appears to be a pretty random lot of AU cards. You might collect one, two, maybe a few of those guys, but does anyone really want all of them except to sell/trade? Individually, the cards would have probably sold for more than the lot price.

CEwHF3gmkKGrHqVlcE1GHGviUOBNS2BG4QQ0_12.jpg

I am tired of people wanting me to give up cards for nothing. Some people always want alot for nothing in exchange. 80 BV of cards for a 35 dollar card...

So I sent him a link to a lot of 37 cards that i was asking 150 for. nothing earth shattering but a majority would sell on the boards for 4-5 bucks some more some less. I was asking 150.i dont get what im doing wrong here lol.

As others have said...... 37 "unrelated" cards in a lot and you're asking full sell price for all the individual cards (37 X $4 = 148). Ain't gonna happen ;)

you guys are missing the point i dont care that people dont like the price im asking i care that i and many other traders on the boards get talked down to like we are idiots because people are trying get us down on prices. thats what the thread is about i just dont understand why people cant be decent and say no thanks if they dont like an offer rather then treat us like we are morons. its not just me i see it happen all the time and its frustrating.

Until we can see the lot, we can't really answer. Maybe asking $150 gets you the response because it's worth nothing near that price. $5 seems unreasonable, but we don't know.

By the way, that lot of 9 autos I showed you sold for $12. I'm sure individually the cards are worth quite a bit more than that.

you guys are missing the point i dont care that people dont like the price im asking i care that i and many other traders on the boards get talked down to like we are idiots because people are trying get us down on prices. thats what the thread is about i just dont understand why people cant be decent and say no thanks if they dont like an offer rather then treat us like we are morons. its not just me i see it happen all the time and its frustrating.

I think it's human nature to remember/lament the negative more that the good. I might have 100 positive to every 1 negative pieces of communication or even trade for that matter and which one will stick with me? The bad one. But I guess it's no fun to start threads about how great things are, we expect them to be great, which is why the no so great sticks on our craw so much.

I think it's human nature to remember/lament the negative more that the good. .

thats true, it just seems that my last few days on the boards ive seen alot more of this type behavior then normal. and its not just at me its towards other people as well and i just dont get it.

it just seems that my last few days on the boards ive seen alot more of this type behavior then normal.

This may seem strange but it could be cabin fever. I'm in sales and the last two weeks have been the strangest I have had in awhile. It has been a long winter for many people and some people act stranger than normal.

I'm missing where he treated you like you are a moron. He mentioned he didn't think you'd get the price you were asking, and that he could find similar cards in dollar bins. If anything more than 'no thanks' is treating you like a moron, it might be oversensitivity on your part. I do agree with mrmopar, without seeing the lot, it's tough to answer.

I'm missing where he treated you like you are a moron. He mentioned he didn't think you'd get the price you were asking, and that he could find similar cards in dollar bins. If anything more than 'no thanks' is treating you like a moron, it might be oversensitivity on your part. I do agree with mrmopar, without seeing the lot, it's tough to answer.

it might be that on my part, it could be cabin fever like the poster mentioned above. it just seems like recently people always have something like that to ad like i said its not just me ive seen it going on alot. the lot is in an ebay auction so i cant post it here because this thread will get shut down for auction spamming.

I formalized a resolution after reading the first five words of your post.

"I was on another forum..."

Keep it here and you don't have to deal with such jokers! :)

I formalized a resolution after reading the first five words of your post.

"I was on another forum..."

Keep it here and you don't have to deal with such jokers! :)

haha yea i do see that type activity less on here. but i am able to move alot of stuff over there that i cant move here as well so its good and bad