Why I Will NOT Accept Another Trade Involving PWEs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmanningsfan73

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I received my end of a trade yesterday in a PWE which I accepted in the negotiations as I never had problems anytime before. I know it's cheaper for some but there is a reason why most (like myself) choose to send in bubble mailers & below are 2 reasons. Now if it was only the PWE well no problem but when the trader fails to tape the top of the toploader & cards get messed up then that's it NO MORE. In case you can't see it, it is the bottom right corner that is screwed up.

I always run a line of clear mailing tape across the bottom of the envelope for this exact reason, but there's no excuse for failing to seal the top of a toploader. I prefer to put it into a team bag.

At least you got something from this.............Same address and I just got half an envelope, thought that writing looked familiar..........Most of us know how to send in a PWE, others, not so much.........I don't blame you for BB mailer trading only........

At least you got something from this.............Same address and I just got half an envelope, thought that writing looked familiar..........Most of us know how to send in a PWE, others, not so much.........I don't blame you for BB mailer trading only........

Just noticed too, I always send in a No. 6-3/4 envelope; it's shorter and doesn't want to fold in half like the business size envelopes like the one pictured above did.

I always run a line of clear mailing tape across the bottom of the envelope for this exact reason, but there's no excuse for failing to seal the top of a toploader. I prefer to put it into a team bag.
I prefer using a team bag as well.
Yea I sent in PWEs before but I'll still take it to the PO to get it non-machinable, costs a little extra but this hobby isn't cheap.

Just noticed too, I always send in a No. 6-3/4 envelope; it's shorter and doesn't want to fold in half like the business size envelopes like the one pictured above did.
Proper size does help lol.

Thats a bummer.

PWEs are normally very reliable if you know how to do it. I always fill the entire envelope from end to end, can't leave one end flapping around, that is just asking for trouble.

I always tape the toploader to the envelope and tape the end of the toploader (or team bag if that's what they prefer) and I never use business-sized envelopes. I've easily sent over 100 PWE trades this way and never a problem.

Hopefully the person who did this to you reads this thread and takes heed of the tips we're giving.

don't want to sound like a ****** commercial but "come on people, wrap it up!"

I generally tape my top loader or semi rigid to the piece of paper but always wrap the paper around the loader before I insert into the envelope and tape the envelope shut. I have not checked in with all of my pwe trades but those I have said the cards came in fine and I am sure for those I have not checked with would have said something.

the point is the holders are wrapped in paper. I have received a few envelopes with just the holder (either top loader or semi rigid) and is a 50/50 result. half were ok and half have some to little damage. thankfully only 1 trader has sent a pwe when asked not to and will not trade with that person any longer.

and another thing.......

have sent small pwe with 1 holder and wide envelope pwe with 2 holders and only put 1 forever stamp on it and have had nothing returned or the other end requesting reimbursement for due postage. (unless the wide pwe has more that 6 cards in it then of course I put 2 stamps)

i have traded a couple times with the PWE method and a lot of TTM that way too, and i just don't see how anyone can call a PWE as "Safe" without a crooked grin and smirk of oh well i hope it gets there safe. we all know these things go though at least 3 sorting machines on its way across country and then its a crap shoot if its just across town. PWEs are not safe and i too will not send or receive them. now don't get me wrong i think trades have a good intention of doing a fair and safe deal but also a cheep as possible deal. and thats not always the best deal.

I normally go the extra 70 cent route....with do not bend written on it and tape around the corners just in case it accidently run thru the machine! Best regards, David

Last edited:
Have to use the PWE route to save money on mailing.....use to always do bubble envelopes (but the cost has gone up 5 times in the last 7 years. Best regards, David

Last edited:
Have to use the PWE route to save money on mailing.....use to always do bubble envelopes (but the cost has gone up 5 times in the last 7 years. Best regards, David

That is true about the cost going up but so isn't milk, eggs & beef. I understand that accidents happen but I don't want to be on the receiving end of some hot head when his/her cards gets mangled & they expect reimbursement for the cards which is only fair but normally would cost more than the $1.93 to ship in bubble mailer.

Honestly, the only time PWE should EVER be used is if the card is EASILY replacable by the sender! Otherwise, opt for a bubble mailer for protection.

As you can see, there are a lot of methods to avoid the problem you had with the PWE. My favorite is to use the smaller than #9 envelope and cut to size cereal box cardboard that runs the dimension of the envelope and tape the top loader to that, pretty bomb proof really. I'm glad you started this thread, as anyone who sends PWE should know a few of these things....

As you can see, there are a lot of methods to avoid the problem you had with the PWE. My favorite is to use the smaller than #9 envelope and cut to size cereal box cardboard that runs the dimension of the envelope and tape the top loader to that, pretty bomb proof really. I'm glad you started this thread, as anyone who sends PWE should know a few of these things....
Yes you are right they should know. I have sent PWE in the past but would always pay the extra 20 cents @ post office to get it non-machinable. Now I just find it easier to ship via paypal using bubble mailers. Sure it costs more but gas to get to the PO does too.