Wildfires in the Santa Cruz Mountains.....

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
On Tuesday night my wife and I evacuated our mountain home just outside of Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz mountains. We have stayed at my high school (now that schools are just unattended structures), stayed with friends in Santa Cruz, stayed at my wife's school and are now house sitting for 2 weeks on the west side of Santa Cruz.
There are approximately 560 wildfires in Northern California alone, but if you look at a map of the western states, from Montana west, they are all ablaze. Resources are taxed, 64,600 people have been evacuated from the mountain valley that has been my home since 1990. Some 194 homes have been burned, many people I know have lost everything and my heart aches for them.
So far, the fire in my town has been steadily making it's way down the ridges toward town burning everything in it's way, 70,000 acres big... and only 8% contained. Firefighters from Los Angeles arrived a few days ago, firefighters from Australia are now on the scene. Resources are limited and the word that keeps being used to describe this fire is "unprecedented" because this is an area that has not been burned before and the amount of smoke has rendered air support incapable of where to make drops. So it continues to burn unabated.
At this point, my house is still there, but it is in the fire's path. Many of the area's firefighters were once students of my wife's and they take on this fire personally. Please send us your prayers and good intentions for stopping this fires destruction and for the many people that have lost everything except what they could fit in their car and drive away with.

Last edited:

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Glad to hear you and your family our safe and prayers go out to everyone effected by the fires in CA. Best regards, David

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
Best wishes that the fires are contained/controlled soon and that you don't lose your home to it. I used to have a bunch of relatives in So Cal, but more and more seem to be heading east. We have them in WA now and again, mostly on the east side of the mountains. That is scary stuff.

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Thank you everyone for your attention... the weather has been favorable enough to allow air drops to finally happen. Watching the helicopters overhead with their hanging baskets trailing below them. There is much less smoke and ash in the air today. In the mountain valley, where I live, crews are making headway with fire breaks, but I'm told the fire still advances down Big Basin where I am. It is quite an emotional rollercoaster....

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
Thank you everyone for your attention... the weather has been favorable enough to allow air drops to finally happen. Watching the helicopters overhead with their hanging baskets trailing below them. There is much less smoke and ash in the air today. In the mountain valley, where I live, crews are making headway with fire breaks, but I'm told the fire still advances down Big Basin where I am. It is quite an emotional rollercoaster....

Tony, according to the 6 pm briefing tonight they had six helicopters doing air drops today. Also saw at least two air tankers plus a spotter plane on flightradar24 doing circles over Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek. Hopefully that’s a good sign for us both.

San Lorenzo Valley Strong!

Best,
Dan

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Made another donation to the red cross for the fires in CA! I hope everyone is doing okay! Prayers for everyone effected by the fires and smoke. Best regards, David

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Hey Dan,
Just caught wind of that site. And that's great news to be able to, not just wonder but actually, know and so far our house is still there! Fire, meanwhile, is only 19% contained and 80,000 acres.

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
Hey Dan,
Just caught wind of that site. And that's great news to be able to, not just wonder but actually, know and so far our house is still there! Fire, meanwhile, is only 19% contained and 80,000 acres.

Glad it was good news!

Word is Cal Fire is going to do a backburn west of Felton through the upper part of Henry Cowell park toward the south side of Ben Lomond. Should take about 24-36 hours to complete. If that goes well, it will be a huge leap forward in protecting the valley.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Prayers for everyone in California. Until I saw this post once again I was unaware that my home state of Montana was once again on fire. Two years ago it was the same issue and no coverage nationally, and the only reason they stopped was when the snow flew that year, and it was a rough winter in Montana. My cousin lives in Billings and said they had record snowfall with 110 plus inches. Was supposed to be out there earlier this month, but with COVID, it wiped out those plans as well as about 8 concerts and a trip to Graceland this year.

Wife's home state of Iowa was also hit with a land hurricane and she had lots of family in the Cedar Rapids area, which was hit the hardest.
Hopefully there will be a break for everyone, add these disasters to Coronavirus, racial tensions, political unrest, job loss it makes for crazy times.

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Prayers for everyone in California. Until I saw this post once again I was unaware that my home state of Montana was once again on fire. Two years ago it was the same issue and no coverage nationally, and the only reason they stopped was when the snow flew that year, and it was a rough winter in Montana. My cousin lives in Billings and said they had record snowfall with 110 plus inches. Was supposed to be out there earlier this month, but with COVID, it wiped out those plans as well as about 8 concerts and a trip to Graceland this year.

Wife's home state of Iowa was also hit with a land hurricane and she had lots of family in the Cedar Rapids area, which was hit the hardest.
Hopefully there will be a break for everyone, add these disasters to Coronavirus, racial tensions, political unrest, job loss it makes for crazy times.

Yeah, it's like 3 Twilight Zone episodes at once!