Wildfires in the Santa Cruz Mountains.....

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Dan, that's great to hear. Boulder Creek, on account of uncertain tree falls and lack of infrastructure, namely water and electricity, is looking at 12-15 days out minimum. I'm hoping that it's sooner.... 184,000 acres burned, 1,440 structures burned to the ground and 40% contained at this point....

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Now theres a fire in the Sequoia National Forrest started a few days ago.....Best regards, David

Last edited:

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
On Friday, my wife and I wanted to see if we could get to our house. The valley looked like business as usual, but when we drove into Boulder Creek, there was evidence the fire burned to Hwy9, but did not burn the structures on either side of it's path. As we rolled to the intersection there were brown dead trees in the hills above town amongst the green. LED signs warned of contaminated water, the water district was set up to distribute bottled water outside their office. When we got to our street, there was no caution tape across the road as previously reported to me. We drove up, fire had burned down the hill and came down to the street, but the house next to the burn was somehow unscathed, as we continued up the street there it was, our house intact-- what I sweet sight to see.
After talking to my neighbor who, aside from us, were the only people about, he told us the fire came up to the houses further up the street. Basically, the entire neighborhood was surrounded by fire and that by all reason I should be standing in a pile of ash, not just where my house stood, but everywhere around me should be looking like the moon. And, the only reason why it doesn't is because at the end of the street lives 3 firefighters who work over the hill in Santa Clara. They rent their house from the fire chief.
As the fire gathered steam heading down the mountains to our street, the guys borrowed a fire truck, parked it at the end of the street, cut a line around the back of the houses and made their stand. Aside from a tree house going up in flames, the neighborhood still stands. My neighbor asserts that they may well have saved the town as Cal Fire was overwhelmed and understaffed to take on the blaze and prioritized their resources to defend larger populations.
Meanwhile, my wife and I are biding our time. The fire melted the PVC pipes that supply water to town, so you can't boil, you can't drink the water. There is no electricity and so large areas have not been repopulated. We opened our refrigerator to a total heinous mess, but I will take that over larger issues that could have happened to us. We took an offer to stay in a fancy apt. in S.F. for the time being. Can't wait to get back! Until then good luck and good night and thanks everyone for your well wishes.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
This time it was saved ...but in the future....who knows....Thats why its dangerous to build or live in the mountains and forest areas....one day your luck will run out. Right now we have a fire in the Shaver Lake area....they had to rescue about 200 people from the recreation area at Mammouth pool reservoir by helicopter........two people turn down the offer! I hope their okay. Best regards, David

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
This time it was saved ...but in the future....who knows....Thats why its dangerous to build or live in the mountains and forest areas....one day your luck will run out. Right now we have a fire in the Shaver Lake area....they had to rescue about 200 people from the recreation area at Mammouth pool reservoir by helicopter........two people turn down the offer! I hope their okay. Best regards, David

David,
The majority of wildfires in California are grassland fires and that is what California is mainly comprised of, rolling hills that turn golden as summer arrives. Back in the '80s, people said that California would burn up due to Global Warming, which is the word that was used back then. We are presently seeing the affects of Climate Change happening now, which is the word we use now. Grasslands make up more area than forests, but grasslands or trees aren't at the heart of the matter... consider the Camp fire of 2018 that consumed whole towns, such as Paradise and whole suburbs in Santa Rosa and Napa consumed by the Kinkade fire of 2019, those were not pohdunk mountain towns that burned.
The Rim fire that ripped through the Stanislaus forest in 2013 was, at that time, the third largest wildfire in California history, it has fallen to the number nine spot in just 7 years. Our local CZU fire was the state's second largest fire in California history and has slipped to the number three spot already. So no, it doesn't much matter that you live in the center of Fresno to avoid fires, if the conditions are right a fire burns a building just as easy as a tree....

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Now days or the last few years the fires are in the Mountains and forest trees....as millions of trees have die because of the drought.....this allows the beetles to dig into the bark...and kill the tree. Millions and Millions of dead trees.....the forest service believe that it will take many years to remove them. The dead trees and high winds are deadly to people, Houses and businesses.....a fire can out run a person. The creek fire has killed several people and destroyed homes and businesses. Only about 8 per cent contained.....over 145,000 acres up in smoke. If it wasn't for the Military Helicopters from the Lemoore air base a few miles west of Fresno..and the National guard in Fresno...most of the 200 people that we're recused on Sun and Monday....would not be here today.....hopefully the cooler temp and the lack of winds (planes can now help fight the fire). But it will be weeks before the people living in these are can go back home. Best regards, David PS I have two brothers who use to work for the fire service....both retired as captains.

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
P.S. I worked as a firefighter for the California Dept. of Forestry before it became CalFire.... it's about the forest, not the structures in the forest.

Last edited: