Wisdom Teeth Removal

caribbeankid92

5.00 star(s)
Getting my wisdom teeth pulled at 8 AM tomorrow, to those who have had there's removed I would love to hear stories..GOOD or bad :D . Any advice is appreciated too, I am kinda nervous but hear being put under is the way to go.

Ben

OriolesFan8

5.00 star(s)
Had my whole family and friends get theirs removed before they came in (all 20 years ago). Kinda rough the first couple days, but then it's over.

I'm one of the rare people, my wisdom teeth came in my early twenties, still have them today (20 years later).

There is a difference between having them pulled, or cut out (oral surgery). Pulling is less painful.

Todd

Last edited:

DaClyde

5.00 star(s)
I had all four out at the same time and still did my paper route the next morning. Drugs help. But keep in mind the Tylenol 3 (or whatever they give you these days) takes some time to kick in, so if it doesn't make you feel like a wimp (and hey, you're having surgery, you're entitled!), take your next dose of pain killers just as soon as you start feeling the pain again. Otherwise you get a good 30 minutes or so to feel like someone used your face as a speed bag.

And take a photo of your face tonight, and then again tomorrow night. Y'know....for kicks!

Benson

5.00 star(s)
ICE! ICE! ICE!
From the time you get home till you wake up the next morning, keep ice on your jaw.

I got all four out the day after Christmas during my freshman year of college. Came home and keep ice on my face pretty much for 24 hours straight. Was playing basketball two days later. Had very little swelling and hardly any discoloration.

Oh, and get some of the drinkable shakes from the grocery store. They are yummy, plus really easy to drink and you won't feel like you are starving later on.

rynofan23

5.00 star(s)
I had all four of mine cut out. It's the only time I've been put under in my life. My cheeks were so swollen that my coworkers called me a chipmunk for a few days after I returned to work, which was three days after the "surgery".

Tai

Fatboycards

5.00 star(s)
Had 3 removed at one time ,it was right after me and my wife got married. She had to drive me home in a snow storm ..she hates to drive in snow. And then she had to try and get me in the house after a ton of seditives.

stephj24

4.90 star(s)
Staff member
Had all four of mine removed surgically. Thank goodness I was knocked out for it. Like another poster said ice is the way to go and definitely don't chew for as long as you can (even though you will want real food after a few days). Chewing and using your jaw increases swelling.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Steph

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
You most definetely want to be knocked out! It isn't all that painful, but the swelling and bleeding are a pain. Also I would get entire ramen noodles stuck in the hole where the tooth was so you have to use the water seringe alot.

I actually heard about getting dry root from when you smoke after you get your wisdoms pulled so I quit smoking cold turkey after 4 years, and have never looked back, so getting them pulled was one of the best things to happen to me.

And as some have already mentioned... the drugs help, more than likely oxy or hydrocodone. Also gargling salt water helps it heal alot faster, seriously.

stevebilliel52

4.90 star(s)
i had mine taen out like 5 yrs ago the best part id the pain meds the dentist gives you for it after but it sucks after u wake up cuz the gauze pads are just all blood and it doesnt stop for like 2 hours so youll be sleepy but very sore

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
Had mine pulled but was awake the whole time.............Didn't want to pay extra for being knocked out.............Plus, my wife couldn't pick me up after so I had to drive myself back.............No sucking on straws or spitting if I remember right.............I think that causes the ol' dry socket! Good luck! You'll do just fine!

Mike

uglyrad1

5.00 star(s)
My friend had his pulled just last week. He said his mouth hurt from time to time and he could only eat certain foods (mashed potatoes, milkshakes, etc.), but unlike other people, he took Vicodin (spelling?) over Novacane. He said it helped a lot, but let me just say that he was a very entertaining individual for a few days! :D Don't worry about it, Ben! You'll be absolutely fine! Good luck!
Christian

caribbeankid92

5.00 star(s)
Thanks everyone. Well I suffer from Vasal Vagal basically I faint a lot during medical events; glaucoma tests, bullima health video, streph throat test, blood tests so I passed out before they put me to sleep. I woke up and asked if it was over and then they put me to sleep. I woke up and felt pretty good and now I'm home and eating some soup. I'm not really very sore just feel the numbing a bit.

Thanks
Ben

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Thanks everyone. Well I suffer from Vasal Vagal basically I faint a lot during medical events; glaucoma tests, bullima health video, streph throat test, blood tests so I passed out before they put me to sleep. I woke up and asked if it was over and then they put me to sleep. I woke up and felt pretty good and now I'm home and eating some soup. I'm not really very sore just feel the numbing a bit.

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben
Glad everything went ok for you. You will be fine in a couple of days. Take care my friend.
Later
Tom