12 hour bump rule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
i was wondering what people thought about possibly moving to a 12 hour bump rule. when i first joined the bench 24 hours was fine. but ive seen(very gladly i might add) this site grow quite a bit since i got here. so i was wondering what people thought about editing the rule to make it 12 hours between bumps since there are more members and posts dont spend near as much time on the front page as a few years ago. i think its a good suggestion and just wanted to see what other people thought.

People have a hard enough time figuring out how to bump once within 24 hours (AKA once per day), if it was moved to 12 hours there would be mathmatical chaos and heads might explode.

I'm all for leaving it as it is:)

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I think it's ok the way it is now, but I can certainly understand your reasoning.

editing the rule to make it 12 hours between bumps since there are more members and posts dont spend near as much time on the front page as a few years ago.

All this would do is push posts off the front page even faster. I'd be open to expanding it to 48 or more before cutting it any and maybe then the thread hoarders would learn to work off other people's needs.

All this would do is push posts off the front page even faster. I'd be open to expanding it to 48 or more before cutting it any and maybe then the thread hoarders would learn to work off other people's needs.

the problem i see with that would be now you would have people making new threads to bypass the 48 hour bump rule. so rather then waiting 48 hours they just make a new thread saying the same thing. i know the mod team deletes those when they can but they dont all get caught.

the problem i see with that would be now you would have people making new threads to bypass the 48 hour bump rule. so rather then waiting 48 hours they just make a new thread saying the same thing. i know the mod team deletes those when they can but they dont all get caught.

They close them out all the time for duplicate threads and for not combining. I don't see where some people think their stuff is so important that they have to announce it any more often than 24 hours. If it has interest it gets bumped up by people replying to it, if not it's a little selfish of the poster to think they are entitled to be on the first page at the expense of other threads.

If it has interest it gets bumped up by people replying to it, if not it's a little selfish of the poster to think they are entitled to be on the first page at the expense of other threads.

my point is how many people look past the first page? some do and most dont. of course people think their threads are entitled to be on the first page over someone elses thats the way people are.

I'm fine w/ a 12 hour bump rule.
It's nice to be able to get your threads up in the morning for the day traders and again at night for the night crew and west coasters.

The 24 Hour rule is good as it gets. been here for a long time and for good reason. So just let it be
I for one look at all the threads when i get on.
jmo
Chief

2,4,6,12,24,48 hours it would not matter. There are still the thread hogs who feel the need to try and put the same threads up to the top that have been on for a week with very few replies. I think the 24 hr rule is fairly easy to watch and works well. Thanks Pat

24 hour bump rule. Mods would never get trading done, if we were to police the threads even more than we do now.

It is hard enough policing the 24 hour bumps, cross posts etc.

I am all for the 12 hour bump rule, and possibly stop traders from bumping 5+ posts in a row. I saw 7 posts just yesterday bumped up in a row by the same person. They do it daily. not to mention they probably bump 15 different topics in a 24 hour period. If there is still going to be a 24 hour bump rule, make an area just for trading, and another just for buying/selling.

I am all for the 12 hour bump rule, and possibly stop traders from bumping 5+ posts in a row. I saw 7 posts just yesterday bumped up in a row by the same person. They do it daily. not to mention they probably bump 15 different topics in a 24 hour period. If there is still going to be a 24 hour bump rule, make an area just for trading, and another just for buying/selling.

you make several good points. its very annoying when someone bumbps 6-7 threads at once. i try to not bump more then 2 at a time. i also like a seperate buy/sell area idea much like scf and its worked out great there.

you make several good points. its very annoying when someone bumbps 6-7 threads at once. i try to not bump more then 2 at a time. i also like a seperate buy/sell area idea much like scf and its worked out great there.

Just so you know, we try to catch those when we can. There is a part of the Bench Policies that states that threads are to be combined. I spent about 30 minutes the other day combining some dude's threads.

Just so you know, we try to catch those when we can. There is a part of the Bench Policies that states that threads are to be combined. I spent about 30 minutes the other day combining some dude's threads.

i know you guys try to catch them, im not at all bashing the job the mod team does at all. im just saying it happens quite a bit and it does get annoying. its impossible to catch everyone that breaks rules so im not dishing on the mod team. sorry if it came across that way.

People will find the threads if they are worth finding. I would bet many people who think they don't get action on their threads because they get lost have nothing anyone wants! Those people are also the ones who collect/sell/collect/sell, etc. "Getting out of the hobby", "Need money for my cat's surgery", etc. Ebay is for that, not here.

As for people not looking past the first page, I would assume people like that are extremely casual users at best. I don't do much trading, but I will look through as many pages as show up each time I log on, then I specifically look at certain forums, such as Card Talk to see if I missed any older threads, because that is the forum I enjoy the most.

I think there is probably too much bumping of stale threads and would side with those who would lean towards longer bump time restrictions.

People will find the threads if they are worth finding. I would bet many people who think they don't get action on their threads because they get lost have nothing anyone wants! Those people are also the ones who collect/sell/collect/sell, etc. "Getting out of the hobby", "Need money for my cat's surgery", etc. Ebay is for that, not here.

As for people not looking past the first page, I would assume people like that are extremely casual users at best. I don't do much trading, but I will look through as many pages as show up each time I log on, then I specifically look at certain forums, such as Card Talk to see if I missed any older threads, because that is the forum I enjoy the most.

I think there is probably too much bumping of stale threads and would side with those who would lean towards longer bump time restrictions.

i would agree with some of your points but not all of them. just examaning myself as a trader i find these(and i may be in the minority on these points)

i consider myself a serious trader/buyer/seller on here and not just a casual user, but i dont usually find myself exploring past the first page often.

i also find a lot of my threads going unreplied to when i know i have alot of stuff that people want. but my problem is that i usually put 15-20 cards in a thread so i cant give it a title that accuratly points out what is in the thread. So i end up giving it a title like "awesome lot for sale hof, rc autos star autos and more" but someone looking for a cal ripken auto or a clayton kershaw auto may not look into that thread even though i have their wants.

that rant got a little off topic sorry for that lol. but im just pointing out a couple of my experiences

but i do agree there is way to much bumping of stale threads. i do see threads all the time that have 15-20 replies and maybe more that are just the original poster bumping it.

to ad to my last post i am sick of the threads begging for peoples money "need money because i lost my job" "need money or i lose my house" i tend to avoid those threads because whats to stop anyone from saying that to get some sympathy dollars? and i dont feel like a public forum is the place to beg for help. its the same as going out on the street corner and asking strangers for 10 bucks because your going to lose your house.

If you don't move past the first page, then you must not be that interested in working for deals. Using right now as an example, the first page contains bumps from 5:05 PM - 5:20 PM. That is 15 minutes worth of action. Are you telling me that if it is older than 15 minutes, you don't care to go looking? I'm sure those times increase and slow during heavy and slow times, but it's a weekend and the middle of the day, so I am guessing it's about average.

As for items being lost within threads, there is a search function that I assume people use to find what they want. Again, good items will be found by those wanting to find them. I'd suggest working on creative titles that grab the users attention.

I believe that there are not collectors here that are active enough to see it, for everything that shows up. The site has many users, but many are inactive or infrequent visitors. Hot items will get the most action and some will never see any. It's similar on ebay. Sometimes items will list, be visable for 5 days and end with little fan fare, even if you expected more.

My perfect example is a bat card I won last week, numbered 6/20, a jersey number no less, for $0.50 plus $3 s/h. Not one other version of this card has sold for less than $10!

Status
Not open for further replies.