12 hour bump rule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't move past the first page, then you must not be that interested in working for deals. Using right now as an example, the first page contains bumps from 5:05 PM - 5:20 PM. That is 15 minutes worth of action. Are you telling me that if it is older than 15 minutes, you don't care to go looking? I'm sure those times increase and slow during heavy and slow times, but it's a weekend and the middle of the day, so I am guessing it's about average.

As for items being lost within threads, there is a search function that I assume people use to find what they want. Again, good items will be found by those wanting to find them. I'd suggest working on creative titles that grab the users attention.

I believe that there are not collectors here that are active enough to see it, for everything that shows up. The site has many users, but many are inactive or infrequent visitors. Hot items will get the most action and some will never see any. It's similar on ebay. Sometimes items will list, be visable for 5 days and end with little fan fare, even if you expected more.

My perfect example is a bat card I won last week, numbered 6/20, a jersey number no less, for $0.50 plus $3 s/h. Not one other version of this card has sold for less than $10!

im very interested in working out deals im just saying unless i slow down and tell myself to look past the first page i find myself usually check the first page them moving over to other trade sites and doing the same. its not like i come on with the attitude that im not going to look past the first page. im just saying if i dont stop and tell myself to do it i wont and i think most traders also dont look past the first page. its nothing most of us do on purpose but i think alot of poeple just check the first page then move to other forums and sites to check their as well.

I go with the old saying "Dont fix what isnt broken". Personally I go through 4-5 pages of stuff when Im scrolling through. As for my own threads I dont bother bumping them for at least a week, because they usually only go back a few pages anyway.

I usually just bump mine to keep them from expiring into the archive. But my extremely narrow interests pretty much keep my traffic low anyway. But I always look through all the pages of "New Posts" whenever I visit the site.

Perhaps I may have a different method if I went to other sites like this. I pretty much only use the Bench, aside from ebay.

I have no other sites to scan, so I guess I can spend more time here.

im very interested in working out deals im just saying unless i slow down and tell myself to look past the first page i find myself usually check the first page them moving over to other trade sites and doing the same. its not like i come on with the attitude that im not going to look past the first page. im just saying if i dont stop and tell myself to do it i wont and i think most traders also dont look past the first page. its nothing most of us do on purpose but i think alot of poeple just check the first page then move to other forums and sites to check their as well.

24 hour rule works for me. I think you should also add a caveat: more than three "TTT" close out the thread as it is apparent that no one is interested. If someone is after that they can send a PM. Just my two cents.

Dewayne

I will say this for my experience on The Bench. When I get on I try to look at as many threads as possible. I do notice a lot as I go through them. I see a thread saying EXAMPLE: 2010 Bowman for trade. I collect Bowman and check it out. I finish it and move on. I may be a couple pages later and see EXAMPLE: 2010 Bowman wants. I check it out as well. Usually I notice that many times people don't search for cards and just post for someone to respond to them. I often see cards on one thread that someone else can use and they never check it out. I can start a thread trading or wanting and rarely receive a response, but I go searching and find threads for collectors who have what I need or I have some of what they need. I don't have much time to get on the site and I don't accomplish much that way, but that's the way it is.

I agree with the 12 hour bump rule. If I bump at 6 pm and have a few posts and the last post is at 11pm then I can't bump it until 11 the next night. Well that pretty much puts me out of business for a day.

12 hour bump or even an 18 hour bump would be fine.

I agree with the 12 hour bump rule. If I bump at 6 pm and have a few posts and the last post is at 11pm then I can't bump it until 11 the next night. Well that pretty much puts me out of business for a day.

12 hour bump or even an 18 hour bump would be fine.

thats one of the biggest reasons i want it because like you said that thread basically cant be bumped until the middle of the next night and there is no sense wasting the bump on that.

I've been pretty active on here for the past two years and, after reading through this entire thread, I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about!

Does this have to do with how there are sometimes up to 250 messages in the "New Posts" queue and then all-of-a-sudden there are 2 messages? I always assumed someone archived them to the specific forums... never understood why.... system performance?

I don't understand what the problem is or what the 12-hr, vs 24-hr does from an operational perspective. I see nothing wrong with the site so I'm "somewhat blindly" preferring the 24 hour rule.

Been in place for years, other plans would be hell for the Mods...don't know what else there really is to say about it other than I do not see that rule going anywhere:)

Well, if you try to bump prior to 24 hours a warning comes up letting you know. I'm pretty sure in turn that if you ignore the 24 hour warning a message is sent to the admin/mods. So it's not like they have to go searching for it. This is a simply PHP message board and I'm pretty sure you can change the permissions to make it a 12 hour rule.

So in reality, the mods don't really need to do anything, the webmaster only needs to go in and change the permissions.

Well, if you try to bump prior to 24 hours a warning comes up letting you know. I'm pretty sure in turn that if you ignore the 24 hour warning a message is sent to the admin/mods. So it's not like they have to go searching for it. This is a simply PHP message board and I'm pretty sure you can change the permissions to make it a 12 hour rule.

So in reality, the mods don't really need to do anything, the webmaster only needs to go in and change the permissions.

There is no message sent to the Mods if someone breaks the rule, they still have to notice the violations on their own.

I am not closing this because words/temper are getting out of hand, but because this is a dead issue. Three current MODS and the former Manager have all commented that the rule is not going to change. I want to encourage you to continue to offer suggestions to make The Bench better. Some of the best ideas for change have come from the membership. I am pretty sure the 24hr bump rule is not going anywhere though.

Tal

Status
Not open for further replies.