15 topps chrome refractors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluewatertrader

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
How does one tell if it's a refractor not the colored ones the regular refractors there is nothing mentioned on the reverse side
pls let me know

Larry

It has a rainbow colors when u turn the card in the light. Best regards, David

Thanks for the info it's going to be real difficult for me to tell eyes ain't what they used to be hopefully the
code number on the back will be different now were is my magnifine glass at?

I had similar issues Larry. Unfortunately the codes are not different. Looking for Mets parallels if you come across any. Mike

I know the 2011 Chrome border was silver on their refractors & then the regular base border was white. Are we sure that's not the case for this years Chrome refractors ? If not WTH is Topps making things so difficult sometimes lol.

I had similar issues Larry. Unfortunately the codes are not different. Looking for Mets parallels if you come across any. Mike

Thanks for the info Mike didn't think it would be that easy been trying to figure it out for the last hour one moment I think I pulled a Correa SP refractor the
next moment it looks like the regular card

I know the 2011 Chrome border was silver on their refractors & then the regular base border was white. Are we sure that's not the case for this years Chrome refractors ? If not WTH is Topps making things so difficult sometimes lol.

I did notice when I took a stack instead of looking at the front of the card I took the stack and looked directly down at the top edge of the card and did notice some cards stood out like they had more of a "whiter" appearance of course writing REFRACTOR on the back would be easier

There has to be an easier way. LOL I am thinking the same thing Even an REF on back would be nice to save on the ink.

I can just see this now "Hey I received my cards in the mail but some of the cards are refractors" or "Hey I got my cards but the cards you sent aren't refractors"

There only clear or silver on auto refractors, not on the base refractors. Best regards, David

I am just going through my box and am finding I am missing refractors all over the place. I still can not tell if my #56 Ian Desmond is a refractor or not. The background makes it nearly impossible.

I am just going through my box and am finding I am missing refractors all over the place. I still can not tell if my #56 Ian Desmond is a refractor or not. The background makes it nearly impossible.

I am comparing my dupes together to see if I notice a difference thinking maybe one is the refractor and still I can't tell this is a complete nightmare
my wife keeps asking me why do you keep looking at those cards? ME I am trying to find the shiner ones (refractors) WIFE There all shiny ! , ME Go away

I am comparing my dupes together to see if I notice a difference thinking maybe one is the refractor and still I can't tell this is a complete nightmare
my wife keeps asking me why do you keep looking at those cards? ME I am trying to find the shiner ones (refractors) WIFE There all shiny ! , ME Go away

LOL!!! They just don't understand do they?!?!...LOL!

I think I found a solution on finding the refractors of course this only works if you have 2 of the same card lol is to do a scan I believe the card with tag (left ) is the refractor I tagged them so I could tell what the refractor was when I removed it from the scanner

Last edited:
I was hoping to find some discussion on this, but with a better answer than what we have! :p If my hunch is correct, I have found a not overly difficult way to identify a refractor vs. base card from the set.

I first used my purple refractor as a control group and noticed when angled up and down in my hand, the light causes a rainbow effect if you pay enough attention to the card background/reflection. Doing this with all the base cards, I found TWO cards from my blaster that had this same rainbow reflection - the rest just had regular light reflecting when moved. With one retail blaster opened, the amount I have would coordinate with the odds per pack for them. So I suggest looking for the rainbow in the cards to identify them until we can find a better way!

I was hoping to find some discussion on this, but with a better answer than what we have! :p If my hunch is correct, I have found a not overly difficult way to identify a refractor vs. base card from the set.

I first used my purple refractor as a control group and noticed when angled up and down in my hand, the light causes a rainbow effect if you pay enough attention to the card background/reflection. Doing this with all the base cards, I found TWO cards from my blaster that had this same rainbow reflection - the rest just had regular light reflecting when moved. With one retail blaster opened, the amount I have would coordinate with the odds per pack for them. So I suggest looking for the rainbow in the cards to identify them until we can find a better way!

I use my scanner and they show right up lot easier for me see post 14 but if you don't have a scanner I suppose your way works