$160 trade received in a PWE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebradau

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
Made my first trade on The Bench in months. Traded two $80 2005 Zenith Verlander RCs (silver Artist Proof and Z-Gold). Two poly sleeves, toploads, painters tape, cardboard reinforcements, team bag and a bubble mailer.
I received the $160 coming my way in a PWE. NO poly sleeves, NO top loads. These are $30-$40 cards. They were wrapped in leftover plastic coverings. Gotta say in 15 years, this is the worst I've ever seen. Even worse, it was a reputable member.
Looking forward to making more trades with everyone, properly.

Attachments

• DC92694A-F9A8-44C5-ADA9-1B979B302DB4.jpeg
    DC92694A-F9A8-44C5-ADA9-1B979B302DB4.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 97
  • CB7584E1-1EB9-4223-A656-2D268B06B646.jpeg
    CB7584E1-1EB9-4223-A656-2D268B06B646.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 932AC5B1-073C-420A-9185-7FC645B2D961.jpeg
    932AC5B1-073C-420A-9185-7FC645B2D961.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 806D2447-A3D7-491A-A5D3-778160191AF7.jpeg
    806D2447-A3D7-491A-A5D3-778160191AF7.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DE0EAA7A-81EF-46A3-9ED6-9699DF54221A.jpeg
    DE0EAA7A-81EF-46A3-9ED6-9699DF54221A.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
The Oats protected them on the journey!

Joking aside, I'd be afraid to mail anything of thickness or over $20 in a PWE, albeit non-machinable.

i am sorry but this is my input / opinion but here goes

we should have rules on here

if a trade of any type involves multiple cards totaling over $30 or even a single card with a bv of $30+ it should be a bubble mailer package period

if it is just a plain base card by itself then PWE is ok i guess but PWE + USPS = scared me ..... even with non machinable on it i do not trust the USPS how can i when a package going to california gets there quicker than one going to virginia.... both being sent from tennessee makes absolutely 0% sense

i try to ship larger trades and trades with a bv of $50 or more in a box and padded bubble if anyone ever has a issue with my shipping / packing please come to me first and if something arrives damaged or not to your satisfaction the same

i value my cards and everyone else's .....

I've gotten to the point I ask ahead of time for them to send in a bubble mailer. If they don't want to I don't trade with them.

Also on a side note, How can you be ok with buying a box of cards for over $100 but be too cheap to mail trades in a $3-$4 bubble mailer? It makes no sense to me!

I get my end of trades and shake my head all the time. It may just be "a card" to me, but to someone else that card may be the last card to finish a set, or any other number of reasons they wanted it. I try to ship it the way I would want to receive it. I am by no means an expert and by no means perfect, but I do my best to make sure what I send can stand up to a mistake by the USPS.

And as a reminder:

That's just crazily absurd ! I would be a little disappointed even if they arrived ok.

PWE is for 1-3 low booking cards anything after that is asking for trouble. Sure you could send 1 $20 card by that method and chances are it will be ok. Why even gamble with the risk of anything higher ? It's the shippers responsibility to ship the cards in a safe manner and if damaged it's on them specially in this case. Communicating PWE method is common these days on lower booking trades but there's a point where sending the goods in a bubble envelope is JUST COMMON SENSE.

My opinion is that as long as the cards get to me safely and un-damaged, then I do t care how you send them to me. Receiving the cards in the condition I expect them to be is what is most important.

If cards are sent in a PWE, then the sender has to be prepared to make it right if they show up damaged. If that means sending me the money it costs to replace the cards, or sending me my cards back (with them paying the shipping), then so be it.

I send plenty of cards in PWE, but typically at the $15 mark is where I set the bar at. That is mainly because that is where I am comfortable being responsible for the cards.

The wrapping in used plastic is inexcusable though.

i just received a similar $$ value couple cards as well in a PWE. on another forum.
i guess my trade partner figures they arent his cards anymore so who cares, right?
and he has over 500 positive trades.
i took all the necessary precautions when i ship
i dont want the hassle and added expense of undoing a trade. it could take a couple months from start to finish with the covid postal system.
but his excuse is "they got there safe so what are you complaining about"

I received this card the other day, sent in bubble mailer, pennysleeve, toploader, team bag, sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. On the other end, I once received a lot of four cards placed loosely in a bubble mailer (not even in pennysleeves) and they made it to me without any damage whatsoever. It is generally more about the handling than the packaging.

Attachments

• 2CC298BC-D897-4F2E-B31E-4AFA58E26CDB.jpeg
    2CC298BC-D897-4F2E-B31E-4AFA58E26CDB.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 43BA6E70-EFC0-4E31-9F23-A5813D52EF60.jpeg
    43BA6E70-EFC0-4E31-9F23-A5813D52EF60.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 5E8032DB-7DC9-46D3-A578-38FC520B437F.jpeg
    5E8032DB-7DC9-46D3-A578-38FC520B437F.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 41
  • E9DD2D8D-FA0B-4306-990E-E7FF2BF5FE70.jpeg
    E9DD2D8D-FA0B-4306-990E-E7FF2BF5FE70.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 43
More creativity than before. Is there still a shortage on supplies? I remember for a while toploaders and sleeves were not available and overpriced.

Perhaps we can help each other out on here, swapping used supplies.

I sold a 800 card lot of commons during the pandemic, had to make my own box Didn't have any white cardboard boxes available at the time.

I always assumed it was bubble mailer at the minimum unless both parties agree to pwe. If a cards value exceeds 40, I send in a box. The only issue I've run into on the bench is people who get a bit packing tape happy, but it hasn't been a major issue.

More creativity than before. Is there still a shortage on supplies? I remember for a while toploaders and sleeves were not available and overpriced.

Perhaps we can help each other out on here, swapping used supplies.

I sold a 800 card lot of commons during the pandemic, had to make my own box Didn't have any white cardboard boxes available at the time.
Still a shortage of supplies......mainly Top Loaders.....Regular top loaders are okay as the for them is almost back to normal .....its the larger Topps like 100 point or 180 point.....that cost more! Best regards, David

$160 in pwe is bizarre,I agree, but I'd argue that $20 - $30 or even $50 in *well secured* pwe isn't so crazy. in 3 months I've made a little over 100 trades, almost all in PWE. as far as I know, I am batting 1.000, but I;m sure I just jinxed it.

Anyway, 100 2 ounce stamps is $75. bubble mailers cost me about $4, or $400 for 100 packages.

$400 - $75 = $325 postage saved. even if a couple get lost or damaged, and I paypal you to make you whole (or mail your cards back), I come out way ahead.

that said, I do ask if PWE/bubble preferred on book > $30, and totally respect my trading partner's preference.

and now that I'm doing math on here, I need to go to bed :)

PS - fun fact, I had to google what PWE and DLVD meant when I first got on here.

PPS - not so fun fact: who puts a loose card (not even penny sleeve) in a pwe? had one on here, and one on ebay, do this.

Anything over $20.00 ....bubble envelope (plastic slveeves and into top loader with rubber band*). Best regards, David PS *too many people using scott tape or duck tape or both!

Painters tape is the solution - scotch tape is a pain in the neck to remove - whereas painters tape just peels right off and leaves no mark.

I've only done nine trades here - and two of them showed up with creases that the seller didn't mention in advance. And it wasn't due to the shipping. Please tell people honestly if the card has a flaw.

I received this card the other day, sent in bubble mailer, pennysleeve, toploader, team bag, sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. On the other end, I once received a lot of four cards placed loosely in a bubble mailer (not even in pennysleeves) and they made it to me without any damage whatsoever. It is generally more about the handling than the packaging.
Handling does make the difference for sure, it’s a crap shoot! I received cards protected PWE with top loader from California that were still creased down the middle top to bottom, with bent top loaders also…made multiple trades with member and never had the problem…no doubt in my mind the handler bent the crap out of the envelope, prolly looking to see what it was honestly…I’m a proud owner of a creased 2020 Allen & Ginter Chrome refractor Aaron Judge! I was disgusted…
Thanks Josh

Were the cards damaged?
The surfaces were scratched. difficult to tell if they were like that beforehand. i'll give benefit of doubt. i will say that there was a piece of sand/something i noticed upon checking the conditions upon opening. it was in between two of the cards. it left some slight surface marks. i'm not a grader, but these cards are for others as i basically focus on my Tigers and vintage PC these days.

i spoke to the trade partner via PM. at first, i will say they didn't handle my question of "why did this happen?" very well. they later apologized.
even if they wished to return my cards, the question of "how will THOSE be packaged?" remains.

I appreciate the feedback here. My goal is not to throw someone under the bus; rather, it's a cautionary tale of how to always ALWAYS ensure how your end will be shipped. Lesson learned.

Oh, if anyone has a 2021 Topps Chrome Daz Cameron base AU, let me know:)

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.