1954 Red Sox Team Autographed Ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottzoe

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hey guys,
I'm not an autograph guy, but a friend of my father in law asked me to shop around his 2 1954 Boston Red Sox team signed Baseballs. He has had them since he was a kid. Of the two one is in great shape and the other is very faded. when I asked, he told me that he used to carry one in his pocket all the time and the ball was washed along with his pants by his mother!

Anyway, I'm really looking for advice...
what might they be worth?
Should I send them off to PSA/DNA, JSA, etc?
Are there any really tough autos on there?

So here are the pics of the good ball, along with the names of the sigs....

williams-boudreau.jpg

Ted williams
Lou Boudreau

consolo-mills.jpg

Bill Consolo
Sammy White
Truman "Tex" Clevenger
Hal "Skinny" Brown
Del Wilber
Bill Werle
Buster Mills

henry-genert.jpg

Bill Henry
Jackie Jensen
Don Lenhardt
George Susce
Ellis Kinder
Mel Parnell
Dick Gernert

piersall-olsen.jpg

Jimmy Piersall
Willard Nixon
Tom Brewer
Harry Agganis
Ted Lepcio
Karl Olsen

schreiber-bolling.jpg

Paul Schreiber
Leo Keily
Del Baker
Joe Dobson
Milt Bolling

Thanks for looking,
Scott

I found a November 2009 Huggins and Scott auction where a lot of 1953 & 1954 Boston Red Sox Team-Signed Baseballs attracted 26 bids and closed for $1,610.00.

I think the 1954 baseball might have a little more appeal because it has Harry Agganis, who died very young. He debuted in 1954 and died the next year.

I know this isn't exactly what you need, but I hope it helps.

Michael

I found a November 2009 Huggins and Scott auction where a lot of 1953 & 1954 Boston Red Sox Team-Signed Baseballs attracted 26 bids and closed for $1,610.00.

I think the 1954 baseball might have a little more appeal because it has Harry Agganis, who died very young. He debuted in 1954 and died the next year.

I know this isn't exactly what you need, but I hope it helps.

Michael

Micheal,
Thanks, That is quite helpful. I know the Agganis is tough and he is a local legend here in the Boston area. I am quite surprised by the $1,600 bid. I'll have to see if I can find any info on those auctions.
Thanks,
Scott

I'd send it to PSA and get it put in a cube and graded just for protection...seems to be the best thing for long term as the ball will continue to fade at least a little over the years...that may slow it down some.

looks to be in great shape...i'd love to have that!

Agganis is huge. He has a cult following, similar to Ken Hubbs, Ernie Davis, etc. All died very early, while active, and were destined for greatness.

Kinder is another toughie. He died in 1968. Del Baker died in 1973 and can be a little tougher to find.

Aside from those three and the obvious HOFer and stars, I didn't see any other names that jumped out.

Thanks for the input guys.
I didn't realize Kinder was tough to find, of Del Baker for that matter.
Personally, I would love to have this ball, but I know I can't afford it.
I may investigate PSA to see what it would cost.

Thanks,
Scott