1956 Hank Aaron questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quambomb

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have the opportunity to trade one of my cards for a 1956 Topps Hank Aaron. I won't give you the name of the trader or the specific card, but know that the card he wants books at $120.The reason I tell you is because I don't know much about vintage cards. I have seen that the 1956 Hank Aaron card has different color backs, an error in that it doesn't feature Hank Aaron in the action shot, and seems to be a popular card.

It seems like a vintage Hank Aaron, especially a 1956 Topps one, is a good investment, but I want to make sure I know about the card, the set, and any other advice before I make a deal. Could anybody provide input?

1956 Topps had both gray and white backed cards....
cards 1-100 gray was printed less and carries a small premium over white...101 - 180 white is printed less and has a premium over gray....
the error in the Aaron card is the player sliding into home is Mays, not Aaron.
hope this helps,
Scott

The long term value of the vintage cards comes from their condition. A nice solid card with no major flaws has the potential to slowly rise in value. A ****** will be a fun card to have and that is about it.

The 56 Topps set is extremely popular and in my opinion, one of the nicest looking sets ever made.

Depending on what you are giving up, I think the trade warrants strong consideration. Today's cards are so ridiculously overpriced that you almost can't lose to send off one of today's "hot card of the moment" for a nice HOF vintage card. Whatever you are trading is likely to lose 50% of more of it's BV soon enough, or worse yet, the demand for the card may drop even if the BV doesn't.

I will tell you what the trade looks like, but know that my decision will not be based off of this thread.

I get:
1956 Topps Hank Aaron graded 6 ex-nm (graded by an off brand, so I think I would send it in to BGS or PSA for a re-grade)

He gets from me:
2008 UD heroes navy blue Ken Griffey Jr. Auto

It is hard for me to part with the Griffey auto, but the Aaron makes for a solid offer.

Last edited:
I would easily do that trade. Griffey autos are not that difficult to come by, and regardless, he's got another 40-50 years worth of autographs to come in the future.

HOF vintage cards, in a decent grade like your Ex-NM, are more difficult to come by, and will only become harder to find in the future.

I would most likely do the trade but would need to see a scan of the card first to decide 100%.

I agree that Griffey auto cards are abundant. I won one on accident for just under $40 a few months back and it was a dual with Joe Morgan, a HOFer! I also won another I really wanted for just under $100 (94 UD w/ Mantle - Griffey auto only, obviously). You can find them all day in the $50 and up range.

The Aaron sounds nice, but then again you might be able to grab one on ebay for a deal as well. Off company grading might as well be ungraded. The largest risk with vintage is the possibility of altering (trimming, coloring, etc).

What is the serial numbering of the blue Griffey auto? The price gap these days seems to be small for autos, but some day it could widen. Obviously the cut autos show that being a low numbered card adds value, especially since many of the cuts are just 3x5s and sell for 10X, 50X or 100X more than a plain non-certified 3x5 auto of the same player!

The real question is are you happy with the deal? That should be your deciding factor.

Here is the scan:

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/Tradesite/Vintage%20Baseball%20Availalbe%20FT/?action=view&current=AaronHank001.jpg

I think it would be wise to invest in getting it graded by a more renound service as it looks like it won't go below a grade of 6. It seems almost 6.5 to 7 to my eyes, but what do I know.

I might do the trade, would have to see a bigger scan of the front and a scan of the back though if it was me. I'm very picky when it comes to trading for high end vintage and have found it's just easier to purchase already graded ones (PSA) instead--unless you can see the raw card in person. So many people out there these days doing trimming and other things to vintage that I like to play it safe.

When it's all said and done though I agree with what mopar said, if you're happy with the deal then that is all that should really matter:)

The card looks pretty sharp. As a collector of vintage AND autographs, it would be a toughie either way. Since I have both a Griffey auto and the 56 Aaron, it makes it even harder for me to say what I would do!

you have both! awesome. I saw the closeup of the card in another scan and it looks pretty nice. I think the Aaron has alot of potential yet as there won't ever be a card of the guy made like the 1956 Topps was. The condition is primo too for being that old. It seems like it would do alot for my collection down the road as I am still young (20 years old) and it is going to get harder and harder to pick up the Aaron card compared to a Griffey, although my Griffey auto is pretty sharp.

griffey.jpg

Man, I cannot make up my mind on what will make me the happiest :( They are both so awesome

Just my opinion, but I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Just go to ebay and see which one you could pick up cheaper though if you need further help. To me, the serial numbering is pointless on the Griffey. There are a TON of his autos out there, so why does this one book more just because it has a number stamped on it? Anyway, I'd take the Aaron and run.

Completely unrelated, but I now have to thank you.

I went to check prices on completed 1956 Topps Aaron cards on ebay and I opened my page and it always comes up as a Garvey search. Somehow I had missed a Topps Sterling Burgandy Garvey card #'d/10! I didn't have one yet. It had an opening bid of $0.99 ending in 4 minutes! I ended up getting it for $8.51. The downside is the $5 s/h charge and the fact the seller is in Taiwan. However, never had a problem before with a Taiwan seller.