1969 Topps set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
In 2002 I began a journey of building a 1969 Topps set. Through several trades, notably Jeff (aka Symphonicmetal) and some purchases from a variety of sources, I finally achieved this. The final card I needed, #237 Bobby Cox RC, I purchased last week. I never thought I would ever find every card (or at least at price that I could reasonably afford).

Now I need some upgrades of some commons which are in truly horrible condition. If anyone has some in at least EX condition, please check out my wantlist here.

Thanks,

Jay

Congratulations!!! I am working on that set as well - still a couple hundred cards away from completion, but will get it done eventually, along with the other Topps sets I am working on!

When I get a chance, I will look at my 69 dupes and see if I can help you upgrade.

not the 69 topps you were looking for but I do have these:

1986 topps: which 51 & 171 do you need? 249 399 402 536 640 692

***note here: couple of errors in this set***
#51 & #57 were both printed #57
#51 correct is bobby wine
#57 correct would have been bill doran
&
#141 & #171 were both printed #141
#141 correct is chuch cottier
#171 correct would have been bob rogers

1987 topps: 12 99 273 362 714 789
1988 topps: 93 338 339 536 640 641 689 702

a couple hits from my want list would work for a trade. thanks.

Jay! You finally did it and even found the two "white whales" you were looking for Congrats on finishing a NICE set.

not the 69 topps you were looking for but I do have these:

1986 topps: which 51 & 171 do you need? 249 399 402 536 640 692

***note here: couple of errors in this set***
#51 & #57 were both printed #57
#51 correct is bobby wine
#57 correct would have been bill doran
&
#141 & #171 were both printed #141
#141 correct is chuch cottier
#171 correct would have been bob rogers

1987 topps: 12 99 273 362 714 789
1988 topps: 93 338 339 536 640 641 689 702

a couple hits from my want list would work for a trade. thanks.
51 bobby wine and 171 bob rogers would be great.

According to my records I have these for you...

2002 Topps Chrome

T102
T106
T108
T147
T188

Would this be enough?

Jay

Congrats. I do kind of miss the thrill of building a set, but I had some tough times on a few sets trying to find that last couple before the internet made it almost too easy and that has damaged me for life!

I don't think I could even try for an older set at this stage of my collecting. I just would not want to invest the money in commons who's only purpose in life for me would be to complete the set. It sounds bad, but I get zero joy from a plain common who is not a Dodger. To me, a "complete" set would include all stars, specials, any other cards that caught my eye and the Dodgers. Everything else is just filler.

Congratulations on finally finishing it. I also enjoy the thrill of completing these older sets. For me it is the thrill of the chase. I started off in 1980 as a set builder and just cannot stop. Although I do not purchase the cards in a bad condition and then upgrade. I just never saw a reason for doing that. Even if I get some that are in rough shape I do not put them in my collection. One question I do have is whether you have any of the white letter variation cards or are you going after any? I have picked up a couple along the way but they are extremely tough to find. And I know the Mantle is one of them and it is out of my price range. At least until I hit the lotto and then go completely crazy with this "hobby".

Congrats. I do kind of miss the thrill of building a set, but I had some tough times on a few sets trying to find that last couple before the internet made it almost too easy and that has damaged me for life!

I don't think I could even try for an older set at this stage of my collecting. I just would not want to invest the money in commons who's only purpose in life for me would be to complete the set. It sounds bad, but I get zero joy from a plain common who is not a Dodger. To me, a "complete" set would include all stars, specials, any other cards that caught my eye and the Dodgers. Everything else is just filler.
I totally understand where you are coming from about the internet making thing almost too easy to find things. For me it's not just being able to find the cards for the set but it's the challenge of first trying to trade for as many cards as possible. When that well dried up after about five or so years into this journey, I began breaking down and purchasing cards to fill the gaps. The trick in this was to do this in a manner which I could not so much afford but to justify the cost. 10 years ago I was not in the position to purchase much due to having a toddler-aged daughter and a wife who chose to stay at home to raise her. Presently, I am better able to justify dropping ten dollars here and twenty there on pieces of cardboard; my wife went back to work (and making more than I am - I'm a teacher) and our mortgage has been paid off for a few years now.

Ultimately, is the thrill of the hunt and the perseverance to stick to this hunt is what made this set worth completing.

Now if I could only finish off the 1972 set I began at the same time.

Congratulations on finally finishing it. I also enjoy the thrill of completing these older sets. For me it is the thrill of the chase. I started off in 1980 as a set builder and just cannot stop. Although I do not purchase the cards in a bad condition and then upgrade. I just never saw a reason for doing that. Even if I get some that are in rough shape I do not put them in my collection. One question I do have is whether you have any of the white letter variation cards or are you going after any? I have picked up a couple along the way but they are extremely tough to find. And I know the Mantle is one of them and it is out of my price range. At least until I hit the lotto and then go completely crazy with this "hobby".
The low grade cards I currently have were not purchased nor traded individually but rather as parts of lots.

As for the white letter variation, while it is tempting to persue those as well it is exactly because of the Mantle card why I don't. It would too frustrating to start this with virtually no way to complete it.

It sounds like we are cut from the same cloth in regards to the thrill of the hunt. Sure, I could have saved money each week over the time it took to build this set and purchased the entire set years ago. However, it is the patience and perseverance that is rewarded that makes the set truly meaningful to me.

Can anyone inform me which card numbers belong to each of the series in this set? I seem to have tossed out all of my price guides.

Thanks,

Jay

Can anyone inform me which card numbers belong to each of the series in this set? I seem to have tossed out all of my price guides.

Thanks,

Jay

Series 1: 1-218
Series 2: 219-327
Series 3: 328-512
Series 4: 513-588
Series 5: 589-664