1990 Pro Set Football

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sundryvagaries

Prospect
Hey guys. I've recently taken to task the arduous endeavor of trying to complete the 1989 and 1990 Pro Set Football sets. Being a guy who tends to be overly organized and a "set completionist" I've found it exceedingly hard in completing these sets, not only because of the extremely tough errors and variations (that is finding them and then actually being able to have the money to purchase tem) but also in distinguishing between an "oddball" and legitimate error or variation. Recently on eBay I've noticed a guy selling these "errors/variations" in bulk, and I really don't think they count as errors.

My reasoning, because of the extreme condition sensitive nature of Pro Set in it's early years and the fact that these cards were susceptible to printing malfeasances. For example, a Mike Bellamy card being considered a variation where the right half of the Y is ever so slightly clipped, almost hard to notice at a cursory glance. Or even in it's most ridiculous, a Keith Millard card where the text is bolder than usual. Does that even count as an oddball card? 0_o

In closing, I hope I can get some information from fellow traders on this set in regards to the variations/errors, and maybe even some possible trades. There is one trader on eBay who recently sold a "Master Collection" which included an entire FACT set with included binder (an ancillary set that was given to inner city Cincinnati teachers as an adjunct to their teaching schedules) as well as the Lud Denny Promo, the Dexter Manley 772A, an uncut sheet of two Lombardi Holograms, a Christmas card that mirrored the Santa Claus card, and all known variations, among other treats. That auction can be viewed here for a short period of time: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220521182857(i.e. until the 90 day window closes). As you can see, this guy's auction ended at $1,600 approximately. Putting into perspective the difficulty of finding all those cards, I actually think that's a decent price. Check his feedback for other extremely rare auctions this guy has had, unbelievable how many rarities this guy has. Your opinions and possible sources are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Some people do collect printing defect cards, but that's about all you could call them. I only consider things like team issues, regional issues, food issues and such as "oddball" cards. Basically anything that wasn't part of a yearly base set or one of its insert sets.

The "errors" from that set would only really be those with missing or wrong stats, wrong positions, wrong/regersed player photos, etc.

While the printing defects are often corrected in later printing runs, relatively few collectors really consider them errors or hunt for them.

I think I have some of these error/variation cards... I will check and PM you a list if so!

Christopher

If you go onto Beckett's website you can view the checklists for both of these sets, which include all of the errors. It's free to view the checklists. Also, I have tons of the 1990 Pro Set cards that if you're interested in I'll be happy to send you for the cost of the postage. Jeremy

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've recently taken to task the arduous endeavor of trying to complete the 1989 and 1990 Pro Set Football sets. Being a guy who tends to be overly organized and a "set completionist" I've found it exceedingly hard in completing these sets, not only because of the extremely tough errors and variations (that is finding them and then actually being able to have the money to purchase tem) but also in distinguishing between an "oddball" and legitimate error or variation. Recently on eBay I've noticed a guy selling these "errors/variations" in bulk, and I really don't think they count as errors.

My reasoning, because of the extreme condition sensitive nature of Pro Set in it's early years and the fact that these cards were susceptible to printing malfeasances. For example, a Mike Bellamy card being considered a variation where the right half of the Y is ever so slightly clipped, almost hard to notice at a cursory glance. Or even in it's most ridiculous, a Keith Millard card where the text is bolder than usual. Does that even count as an oddball card? 0_o

In closing, I hope I can get some information from fellow traders on this set in regards to the variations/errors, and maybe even some possible trades. There is one trader on eBay who recently sold a "Master Collection" which included an entire FACT set with included binder (an ancillary set that was given to inner city Cincinnati teachers as an adjunct to their teaching schedules) as well as the Lud Denny Promo, the Dexter Manley 772A, an uncut sheet of two Lombardi Holograms, a Christmas card that mirrored the Santa Claus card, and all known variations, among other treats. That auction can be viewed here for a short period of time: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220521182857(i.e. until the 90 day window closes). As you can see, this guy's auction ended at $1,600 approximately. Putting into perspective the difficulty of finding all those cards, I actually think that's a decent price. Check his feedback for other extremely rare auctions this guy has had, unbelievable how many rarities this guy has. Your opinions and possible sources are greatly appreciated.

Howdy
If you still need cards from those sets I can probably help you out with some. If so let me know and send me a want list. Maybe we can work out a deal
Later
Chief

I know I cut some Fred Marion cards, and I might have cut a Dexter Manley as well.:eek: I knew about the Santa SP's, etc. but I was not aware fo the variations. What are the tough variations in this stuff?

Tim

These are lists I cut out of my Sports Collectors Digests back in 1989 and 1990. Hopefully you can read them, but if not I can list what they say...
dalemcgrath

dalemcgrath

I knew there was a good reason I cut these out 20 years ago!
Dale

These are lists I cut out of my Sports Collectors Digests back in 1989 and 1990. Hopefully you can read them, but if not I can list what they say...
dalemcgrath

dalemcgrath

I knew there was a good reason I cut these out 20 years ago!
Dale
You are a champion among men, Dale! You deserve some type of free cards for digging out this one! Thanks for the info my friend!

Are there any variations of these 3:

1990 NFL Pro Set:
Barry Sanders 102
Lawrence Taylor 231
Super Bowl XXIV #XXIV

Those are the only 3 I have so it would be cool if they were more than just straight base

Got me thinking, I might have a few of these. I found one so far

#110 Johnny Holland no name on back

#1a Barry Sanders (pack-issued, shows Barry holding trophy on back, LIONS spelled out on back)

#1b Barry Sanders Hawaii PROMO – not a pack-issued variation (Shows headshot of Barry, Lions helmet logo on back)

#2a Joe Montana POY 3521 ERR (back reads “Kelly-3,521 yards”)

#2b Joe Montana POY 3130 COR (back corrected to “Kelly: 3,130 yards”)

#9a Christian Okoye LL (2 black lines through name on front)

#9b Christian Okoye LL (2 black lines partially removed from front)

#9c Christian Okoye LL (2 black lines removed entirely from front)

#15a Walter Stanley ERR (#8 on back) *

#15b Walter Stanley COR (#86 on back NOTE: No #87 version exists despite what Beckett says)

#18a Chris Doleman ERR (error back, wrong stats, “Townsent”)

#18b Chris Doleman COR (back corrected to 104.5 sacks for Taylor; “Townsent” corrected to “Townsend”)

#19a Andre Ware RC w/o stripe(no stripe)

#19b Andre Ware RC w/stripe (draft stripe on front)

#20a Mo Elewonibi (no stripe)

#20b Mo Elewonibi (draft stripe on front)

#21a Percy Snow (no stripe)

#21b Percy Snow (draft stripe on front)

#22a Anthony Thompson RC (no stripe)

#22b Anthony Thompson RC (draft stripe on front)

#25a Franco Harris ERR wrong birthdate

#25b Franco Harris COR corrected birthdate 3/7/50

#27a Jack Lambert ERR wrong birthdate

#27b Jack Lambert COR corrected birthdate 7/8/52

#30a Aundray Bruce (gap in line under stat totals)

#30b Aundray Bruce (solid black line under stat totals)

#37a John Settle (with red line below black line under AVG and TD stats) **

#37b John Settle (with red line behind black line under AVG and TD stats)

#37c John Settle (without a red line under AVG and TD stats – UNVERIFIED)

#59a Mike Ditka LARGE FONT for “Hall Of Fame” on front. ***

#59b Mike Ditka SMALL FONT for “Hall Of Fame” on front.

#63a Rickey Dixon RC ERR (no bio notes under photo) *

#63b Rickey Dixon RC COR (with bio notes)

#68a Sam Wyche CO ERR (no bio notes under photo) *

#68b Sam Wyche CO COR (with bio notes)

#75a Ozzie Newsome ERR (Little Rock)

#75b Ozzie Newsome COR (corrected hometown: Muscle Shoals, AL)

#75c Cody Risien SP (NOTE: Found in late series 1 packs) *

#110a Johnny Holland ERR (no name,number on back) *

#110b Johnny Holland COR (corrected)

#111a Perry Kemp ERR (Ken Stills photo on back)

#111b Perry Kemp COR (corrected)

#114a Sterling Sharpe ERR (says he was born in Glenville)

#114b Sterling Sharpe COR (corrected birthplace: Chicago, IL) *

#134a Andre Rison NO TRADE STRIPE (With top of card number “clipped off” on back) **

#134aa Andre Rison NO TRADE STRIPE (With complete card number on back)

#134b Andre Rison WITH TRADE STRIPE (With top of card number “clipped off” on back) ***

#134bb Andre Rison WITH TRADE STRIPE (With complete number on back)

#134c Andre Rison WITH TRADE STRIPE and Mail-In Offer on back (With signature printed next to “Sincerely”) **

#134cc Andre Rison WITH TRADE STRIPE and Message on back (With signature printed 1-2mm away from “Sincerely”)

#152a Mervyn Fernandez ERR (Draft status incorrect)

#152b Mervyn Fernandez COR (status corrected to “Drafted 10th round ‘83″)

#161a Art Shell (Birthdate: 11/25/46 on back, small HOF print in banner on front)

#161b Art Shell (Birthdate: 11/25/46 on back, large HOF print in banner on front – UNVERIFIED)

#161c Art Shell (Birthdate: 11/26/46 on back, small HOF print in banner on front) **

#161d Art Shell (Birthdate: 11/26/46 on back, large HOF print in banner on front) **

#204a Fred Marion (49ers player with belt) ***

#204b Fred Marion (49ers players belt airbrushed out)

#207a John Stephens (Red slash through 1988 TD’s) *

#207b John Stephens (Slash removed)

#210a Morten Andersen (name in white on back)

#210b Morten Andersen (corrected)

#216a Eric Martin ERR (name in white on back)

#216b Eric Martin COR (corrected)

#221a Jim Mora CO ERR (name in white on back)

#221b Jim Mora CO COR (corrected)

#247a Randall Cunningham (Large gap in last line line of text on back) ***

#247b Randall Cunningham (Complete text on back)

#289a Charles Haley ERR (incorrect fumble recovery stats)

#289b Charles Haley COR (stats corrected to 5 total fumble recoveries) *

#319a Ray Perkins CO ERR no name or position on back) *

#319b Ray Perkins CO COR (corrected)

#338a Eric Dickerson PB (Short Print – withdrawn early then later released in massive amounts) *

#338b Lud Denny PROMO (Not a pack-issued variation, created as gift for Pro Set President) ***

#338c Eric Dickerson PB (front shows mock-up test of 1990-91 Hoops Jerry Reynolds – not pack-issued) ***

#343a Chris Hinton PB (no stripe, text on back begins: ” Has been named”)

#343b Chris Hinton PB (with traded stripe, text on back begins: “Has been named”) ***

#343b Chris Hinton PB (with traded stripe, text on back begins: “Six-time Pro Bowl”)

#386a Randall Cunningham (large print on front)

#386b Randall Cunningham (small print on front)

#449a Dan Hampton ERR (DE back)

#449b Dan Hampton COR (DT back)

#449a William Perry (gap in line above stat headings)

#449b William Perry (solid line above stat headings)

#496a Kevin Glover RC (C-G back) *

#496b Kevin Glover RC (G back)

#536a Derrick Thomas (name in thick, BOLD font) *

#536b Derrick Thomas (name in correct font)

#567a Rick Fenny (black line through RICK on front)

#567b Rick Fenny (line removed from front)

#607a Wes Hopkins (Stat Categories Fumbles and Interceptions in Black)

#607b Wes Hopkins (Stat Categories Fumbles and Interceptions in RED)

#610a Jim McMahon (Black TM by Pro Set logo, barely visible)

#610b Jim McMahon (Black TM w/ white TM added for visibility)

#626a Rod Woodson (Red fumble interceptions header)

#626b Rod Woodson (Black fumble interceptions header)

#627a Rod Bernstine (position listed as TE)

#627b Rod Bernstine (position corrected to RB)

#630a Anthony Miller (position listed as WR-KR on front, WR back)

#630b Anthony Miller (position listed as WR-KR on front and back)

#630c Anthony Miller (position listed as WR on front and back – Unverified )

#632a Leslie O’Neal (position listed as LB-DE on front, LB on back)

#632b Leslie O’Neal (position listed as LB on front and back)

#632c Leslie O’Neal (Missing line of text on back: “Moved from defensive end to…” – Unverified )

#633a David Richards (position listed as G-T on back)

#633b David Richards (position listed as G on back)

#644a Dave Waymer (jagged, thin line below stat totals)

#644b Dave Waymer (solid, printed line below stat totals)

#645a Steve Young (“season gume” on back – incomplete ‘a’) *

#645b Steve Young (“season game” on back – completed ‘a’)

#657a Curt Jarvis (no “Official NFL card” on front)

#657b Curt Jarvis (“Official NFL card” added to front)

#669a Jeff George Illinois (Indianapolis Colts)

#669b Jeff George Illinois (Atlanta Falcons) *

#669c Jeff George Illinois (New England Patriots) *

#669d Keith McCants (Atlanta Falcons) *

#669e Jeff George (Indianapolis Colts – Series 2 issued)

#688a Steve Broussard (lower-half of Falcons helmet/logo is gray on front)

#688b Steve Broussard (Falcons helmet/logo is black on front)

#687a Reggie Rembert (Top of name “clipped off” on front) **

#687b Reggie Rembert (Name fully printed on front)

#698a Terry Wooden (back number 90)

#698b Terry Wooden (back number 51)

#701a Fred Washington (printed before death – no mention)

#701b Fred Washington “Special Collectible” (memorial card – mentions death)

#718a Pat Terrell (back number 41)

#718b Pat Terrell (back number 37)

#719a Mike Bellamy (“MY” in last name “clipped off” on front) **

#719b Mike Bellamy (“MY” in last name fully printed on front)

#723a Oliver Barnett (position listed as DT on front) **

#723b Oliver Barnett (position listed as NT on front)

#735a Willis Peguese (Period at end of text placed far away from last sentence)

#735b Willis Peguese (Period placed close to end of text – UNVERIFIED)

#743A Johnny Bailey RC/(Back says 46)

#743b Johnny Bailey RC/(Back says 22)

#744a Eric Moore (no prospect stripe)

#744b Eric Moore (prospect stripe added)

#760a Eddie Anderson (incomplete 9 in 1989 in text on back)

#760b Eddie Anderson (corrected 9 in 1989 in text)

#772a Dexter Manley (mentions substance abuse problems on the back of the card) ***

#772b Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse, ” Backwards t ” in the word “photo” on back) ***

#772c Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse on back)

#785a Commissioner at Berlin Wall (back says “peered through the Berlin Wall” )

#785b Commissioner at Berlin Wall (back says “posed at the Berlin Wall”)

#785c Commissioner at Berlin Wall (back says “peered through” different photo on front – UNVERIFIED)

#795a Photo Contest – 49ers (printer’s lines in top left border on back)

#795b Photo Contest – 49ers (printer’s lines removed from back)

#SB 22a Super Bowl XXII (1989 date on back) *

#SB 22b Super Bowl XXII (1988 date on back)

#1990a Santa Claus ( no comma after “Andre Ware” on back)

#1990b Santa Claus (comma after “Andre Ware” on back – UNVERFIED)

*** = Very scarce variation and/or promo that is hardly offered for sale. I even considered a four-star just for the Dexter Manley error alone!

** = Scarce variation and/or promo that are rarer than the ‘common’ variations and only seldomly show up for sale.

* = Slightly tougher to find than a common card, the Johnny Holland NNOB is a good example of this.

No star = Can be found with little searching, usually offered for sale on ebay by a number of sellers at any given time.

Last edited:
You are a champion among men, Dale! You deserve some type of free cards for digging out this one! Thanks for the info my friend!
Thanks, but apparently more variations were found after these articles were printed. For 1989, there are also these: 53 M. Ditka with or without HOF stripe; 193 S. Toran (died that year - 1961-1989 stripe added); 214 F. Edmonds corrected to F. Edmunds; 260 R. Berry with or without HOF Stripe;478 J. McMahon has three versions: a - No traded stripe, b - Traded Stripe and "see also Bears card 44" on back, and c - Traded Stripe and no "see Also" on back; 480 E. Byner has four versions: a - No traded stripe, b - Traded Stripe and "see also Browns card 74" on back, c - Traded Stripe and no "see Also" on back, and d - I couldn't find info on but apparently has no traded stripe and something else different about it; 483 G. Riggs a - No traded stripe, b - Traded Stripe and "see also Falcons card 14" on back, c - Traded Stripe and no "see Also" on back, and d - I couldn't find info on but apparently has no traded stripe and something else different about it; 535 G. Williams a - "footbal" in first line on back, b - corrected, c - "scouting photo" on front; 539 J. Jefferson - a - no Prospect stripe, b - with Prospect stripe.
Dale

Last edited:
Here's the story on the 1990 Fred Marion variation:
"The most sought after variation from 1990 Pro Set is card #204 Fred Marion of the New England Patriots. This card is rather controversial because the card features San Francisco 49ers player John Taylor in the background and the belt from Taylor's pants came undone. The positioning of the belt gives the appearance that his private area is exposed but it is just a shadow and the belt."

After spending a few hours going through three 5,000 count boxes (all my 90's football was sorted into teams) I came up with these. I have some doubles I can trade, but I'm thinking of sending a few to the bay as a lot.

#59b Mike Ditka SMALL FONT for “Hall Of Fame” on front
#63b Rickey Dixon RC COR (with bio notes)
#68b Sam Wyche CO COR (with bio notes)
#75a Ozzie Newsome ERR (Little Rock)
#110a Johnny Holland ERR (no name,number on back)
#110b Johnny Holland COR (corrected)
#134aa Andre Rison NO TRADE STRIPE (With complete card number on back)
#152b Mervyn Fernandez COR (status corrected to “Drafted 10th round ‘83″)
#161a Art Shell (Birthdate: 11/25/46 on back, small HOF print in banner on front)
#210b Morten Andersen (corrected)
#221b Jim Mora CO COR (corrected)
#247a Randall Cunningham (Large gap in last line line of text on back) ***
#247b Randall Cunningham (Complete text on back)
#289a Charles Haley ERR (incorrect fumble recovery stats)
#289b Charles Haley COR (stats corrected to 5 total fumble recoveries) *