1992 Score The Franchise Mickey Mantle Autograph - Fading Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackatl

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Hey guys,

I recently bought one of these off eBay for a good price and the autograph has not faded.

I have two quick questions.

1. What causes these particular autographs to fade?

2. What can I do to prevent any fading in mine?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Jack

Hello Jack,

While I am not familiar with this particular card and its tendency to fade, I will suggest a few things....I know that keeping the cards in an airtight container (I like to fold over soft penny sleeves and tape across the back of the plastic sleeve for the autos I like best, never have had a problem). Keeping them out of any kind of light (even indoor lightbulbs can fade items over time I have been told). Check your local card shop, there may be a UV protective screw down display case or something like that to store it in if you wish to display. Generally, air and light over time are the enemy of pen or sharpie!

Hope that helps some, God Bless!

Kevin Mc

Kevin has great advice, especially keeping it out of the light. If it isn't faded now and you keep it safe it should be good. I know there are some sets that have had major fading problems even if the card is kept out of the light, like football Pinnacle Inscriptions and that one year of UD Sweet Spot autos, but those have mainly been due to the material the card is made out of (plastic or cheap fake leather). Just plain old cardboard seems to hold a sig pretty well.

Richard

I've seen a few from that issu fading as well. I'm not sure what causes it, but I know what you're talking about. I'd agree with avoid sunlight and flourescent lighting, nevera good mix with autographs.

Thanks for the kind words in response to my post, guys, and I do have to say, it is a pleasure to get on here and see traders supporting each other. A few years back there was a lot of negativity in comments, but I have not seen that kind of thing on here at all in recent months.....I know this is completely off topic, but I wanted to add this on, because while I dont actively collect anymore, its fun to get on here and see what other people are doing! Merry Christmas everyone!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc