1996 Summit 3D? Fake or Promo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Looks like this product. I don't know much, but it was some sort of "official" product, although after market seems more appropriate. I'm sure they were not easy to make, separating them from a true after market/home made card, but still using existing cards for a new type of design.

Not sure if those you linked were done by the same company/person, but if not, they are very similar. I also bought a Sweet Spot base card of Garvey done with a similar 3-D effect because it was cheap.

frank3front.jpg
frank3bottom.jpg
frank3back.jpg

Print runs have changed significantly in the last decade or so. Back in the 80s, 5000 of a card run was extremely limited. Think of the Tiffany sets and how "rare" and expensive those were. In the early 90s, Donruss was inserting Elite cards at 10,000 copies each, but you never pulled them because they produced BILLIONS of base cards. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it seems like billions!

50,000 can still be a relatively small run considering how much of a product is made. Given I only found about this Thomas card a few years back, I would question if 50,000 were made. Sometimes those "good ideas" went South fast and production halted when sales didn't keep up with expectations. Same goes for those porcelain cards people have been talking about. I think the prints runs advertised are much greater than actual cards made.

As I recall, the company that made the TriCards got sued by the card manufacturers and only made the one year. I remember seeing them at Toys R Us.

50,000 can still be a relatively small run considering how much of a product is made. Given I only found about this Thomas card a few years back, I would question if 50,000 were made. Sometimes those "good ideas" went South fast and production halted when sales didn't keep up with expectations. Same goes for those porcelain cards people have been talking about. I think the prints runs advertised are much greater than actual cards made. [\QUOTE]

Classic tried to tell everyone how "limited" their draft pick sets were when only 120,000+ were made.

Last edited:
Opened about 20 boxes over the years of 1996 Summit baseball and the card design looks like the summit cards......However, there was no 3-D cards in the hobby or retail boxes. Best regards, David

Sellers often misrepresent items, both purposefully and accidentally. Assuming the seller knows little about the card, they may believe it is a one of a kind, because they have never seen another like it. It appears to be out of it's original packagins, if it is a Tri-Card product (which it looks to be), making it even harder to describe properly to an uniformed seller.

Impossible to say if the seller knows better or not, but I don't hold a lot of faith in auction descriptions for listings like these. Buyer beware and know what you are getting. I doube very highly that those are one of a kind.

in the auction listing:
You are bidding on a hand made one of a kind collectable.