1996 Topps Five-Star Finest Refractor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Are these cards marked as refractors ?

Since I can't tell the difference between regular cards and refractors I quit going after them unless they have an "R" or "refractor" printed on the card but i recently took a chance on one on ebay. I received it today and it doesn't have an R or Refractor printed on it, I have nothing to compare it to, and my scd big book doesn't say.

HELP !

Are you talking about the "Star Power" subset, cards numbered 80's to low 90's in the 165 card set? The full set was done as a parallel, if you are refering to an insert I wouldn't know what it is. For the regular set I'm pretty sure the "R" is away from the card number, I can dig some 1996's out to see.

Not the star power subset. It's exactly what it says it is. In my big book listed under Topps, not finest, and says refractors are 3X value but doesn't mention if marked on the card.

175.JPG

Last edited:
WOW, good eye plasticman !!! THANKS !

It is in fact an R. I don't know that I ever would have seen that. It's different than any others I've seen and only slightly darker than the background.

Alan

Actually it's 5-star mystery finest. Technically it is mystery finest as the 5 star is simply the last five cards in the set but SCD has them broken out as a seperate entity. I wonder how many sets are broken down in a similar fashion, thus getting their "we list xxxx number of sets" numbers up.

oh man i remember thse mystery finest cards. They had that black film over the front. And the back listed3-5 payers it could be.....
The 5-star mystery finest inserts have a opaque black film over the front of the card, like the reg. mystery finest, but has the words 5-star in large letters acros the backround. they were inserted at the aveage rate of one per 36 packs
The refractors are 2 times the value and the Ripken is 5 bucks so your card is valued at 10 bucks...

oh man i remember thse mystery finest cards. They had that black film over the front. And the back listed3-5 payers it could be.....

Yep, those are the ones. Lot of them ended up with messed up corners or edges from people picking at the film.