2 Arrivals - 6/3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benson

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Bobby Winkles - c/o home
9 days, 2/2
winkles.jpg

Jim McMahon - c/o home
44 days, 2/2
mcmahon2.jpg
Will send the Super Bowl XX card out to Matt Suhey.

i have to say awesome because Winkles is a relative of mine!! :) He just turned 80 and is still going strong. Very underrated coach/manager.....congrats!!

i have to say awesome because Winkles is a relative of mine!! :) He just turned 80 and is still going strong. Very underrated coach/manager.....congrats!!

Agreed, I think he will be remembered for his contributions to the college game more than the majors. Three national championships at Arizona State.
Part of the inaugural class in 2006 for the College Baseball Hall of Fame.

Agreed, I think he will be remembered for his contributions to the college game more than the majors. Three national championships at Arizona State.
Part of the inaugural class in 2006 for the College Baseball Hall of Fame.

Yes,definitely accomplished a great deal at ASU. In charge of a bad Angel squad that basically had Nolan Ryan and that's about it. Talked to him a few months ago and got to shoot the breeze with him for 45 mins or so. It was awesome, one of his schoolteachers growing up was George Kell, the HOF Tiger player, who came back and would teach in the offseason(this is in Arkansas). The school was so small he did not play on an organized team until college. Said he would always remember the two Nolan no-no's and also coached 3rd base for LaRussa in Chi but took their minor league development position when he found out it was a raise of about 75K compared to being a 3rd base coach.

My little nephew(10 yrs) sent him a 3 page letter of questions and he wrote back answering everything. I'll have to share it with ya one day if you are interested...

I interviewed Winkles a little over a year ago, and he was great. He played with a lot of the greats of the ***** Leagues while he was in the minors including Sam Hairston. He coached Reggie Jackson at ASU, and told me how he basically came from a very poor family in the rural part of Arkansas to make it pro.