2009 Upper Deck 1989 20th Anniversary Buybacks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Does anyone know the story with these? Dawson is supposed to have one of these cards. I would say they have been out for close to a year or so and I have yet to see even one listed on eBay or any other site for that matter. Did they not end up releasing a card for each set?

-2009 Upper Deck 1989 20th Anniversary Buybacks #205 Andre Dawson

Thanks
Craig

scan0124.jpg

Not sure how many they made of each.. I would say not that many and with there being so many cards and not a lot of people open regular UD after it first comes out it could be a while before you see one or at all

no the autos are the sweetest! i almost got the jim abbott. and the almor was sweet/. both 1/1 be on the look out for those too.

I picked one of the Sandberg's a couple of months ago. It's the only one I've seen.

2009_upper_deck_1989_20th_anniversary_buybacks_675_ryne_sandberg_tc.jpg

Tai

the only one I have seen is the Ozzie Canseco which I received from a member on this site I am currently searching for the Jose ones
~Chris

I haven't really figured out the distribution on these. I've snagged a couple small lots of commons, as well as the McGriff and "updated" Randy Johnson (those two are on COMC if anyone wants them!!!) as well as about 5 of the Hensley Meulens (I SHALL OWN THEM ALL!!!). However, I haven't even seen the Winfield or Matt Williams cards anywhere. With the exception of the McGriff and Johnson, I really haven't seen many stars at all.

we talked about this when they first hit...I think we all decided they were pretty short printed and rare...there has never been a huge amount of these on ebay at one time...kinda odd...then we kinda figured that maybe people didn't list them because they were not going for much and got put in the junk box with other commons.

Either way the ones out for sale are few and far between it seems.

Currently there are zero stars from this set on eBay, none on COMC (aside from McGriff) and two on Sportlots (Ozzie Smith and Roberto Alomar), no stars on Sportsbuy, and a scattering of minor stars on Beckett Marketplace (Raines, Palmeiro, Lynn, K. Gibson, Guerrero). And there's some knucklehead on there trying to sell commons for $24.79 each.

And why is all shipping on Beckett Marketplace so insanely high? It's even worse than eBay or COMC for single cards.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the story with these? Dawson is supposed to have one of these cards. I would say they have been out for close to a year or so and I have yet to see even one listed on eBay or any other site for that matter. Did they not end up releasing a card for each set?

-2009 Upper Deck 1989 20th Anniversary Buybacks #205 Andre Dawson

Thanks
Craig

Ridiculous to track down. I've only seen one copy of one and two of the other. Good luck finding your Dawson.

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Craig -

I remember that there was a Dawson on eBay relatively soon after they came out. It sold for what I thought was a pretty high price and I assumed it was you who had bought it. I don't remember how much exactly, but like $18 or something like that. Early on, most of the 1989 buybacks were going for like $5-$10 apiece so I remember it for the price. So they do exist. I'll make sure to keep it in mind that you still need it, this is the type of card that's sitting in $1 box at a show somewhere.

Robert

Craig -

I remember that there was a Dawson on eBay relatively soon after they came out. It sold for what I thought was a pretty high price and I assumed it was you who had bought it. I don't remember how much exactly, but like $18 or something like that. Early on, most of the 1989 buybacks were going for like $5-$10 apiece so I remember it for the price. So they do exist. I'll make sure to keep it in mind that you still need it, this is the type of card that's sitting in $1 box at a show somewhere.

Robert

Robert - Thanks! I would appreciate that. You are probably right about the $1 box thing as well. Off topic, but you'll never guess what I finally have incoming! The corrected version of the 1988 Chef Boyardee card!

Thanks
Craig

I have been searching for Pirates for ever. I bought lots of them just to get 1 Pirate card I needed out of the lot. I listed them on ebay individually and sold anywhere from $0.99 to $20 depending on the player.