2010 Finest Rookie Redemption prices ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetDude

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm a little confused about this.
I have a printout of an Ike Davis checklist from my Beckett OPG.
This was right around the time of the 2011 Heritage release,
as the heirtage cards on my printout are not priced yet.
So no more then a couple months ago.

It shows the the High BV as
Ike Davis FFR-2 at $25
Ike Davis FFR-2 Blue at $50
Ike Davis FFR-2 Gold at $150

At some point these prices changed
However there is No record of any "recent price change" on the player page for these cards. My OPG now shows

Ike Davis FFR-2 at $10
Ike Davis FFR-2 Blue at $15
Ike Davis FFR-2 Gold at $30 :eek:

Which is obviously a ridiculous difference!

Does anyone have the most RECENT magazine and what are the prices shown ?

Secondly if this isnt an error its kind of sickening that becektt would over price something that drastically to begin with.
$30 is much more in line with his other 2010 RC gold refs/#'d 50 .
So where the heck did they get $150 from to begin with?
:confused: :eek:

I bought one of the Blue refs awhile back for like 10 bucks & shipping,
thinking WOW I GOT A GREAT DEAL. lol

I dont have the Gold ref as yet, but can only imagine how someone else might feel if they had paid big bucks for a BV 150 card now showing as bv 30.

Sometimes i think beckett is just in cahoots with Topps.
They just puff up the prices at release to make people all drooly to go nuts buying boxes. Then 4 or 5 months later, oh that card isnt worth squat now...

Saw this happen with the 2009 topps legends refractors as well
but it wasnt this egregious.

opinions objections rebuttals ?

Last edited:
I don't know if Beckett and Topps have anything going on. From what I've seen over the years most of the pricing is market driven. You go to ebay and watch cards, boxes, etc. and they vary quite a bit. Early on 11 Bowman could be had for about $155.00 for a jumbo box. It went up to $200.00 per box. That's what happened with Strasberg and probably Davis. Everyone wanted a limited supply and the prices went sky high.

I don't know if Beckett and Topps have anything going on. From what I've seen over the years most of the pricing is market driven. You go to ebay and watch cards, boxes, etc. and they vary quite a bit. Early on 11 Bowman could be had for about $155.00 for a jumbo box. It went up to $200.00 per box. That's what happened with Strasberg and probably Davis. Everyone wanted a limited supply and the prices went sky high.

While I am specifically pointing out Davis, I cant help but think this happened with all the cards in the finest rc redemption.

I can pull up current OPG prices to compare to an older beckett mag price sheet.

Furthermore, its a 2 way street with the secondary market.
the masses dont pay 150 for a card with a bv of 30.
one schmuck might, but on the whole what people wil spend is generally in proportion to beckett pricing. usually a fraction of BV - not 5x BV

Last edited:
While I am specifically pointing out Davis, I cant help but think this happened with all the cards in the finest rc redemption.

I can pull up current OPG prices to compare to an older beckett mag price sheet.

Everyone probably wanted them. I don't know exactly because I didn't follow the redemptions.

If you have a several month old beckett,
please look up the prices of anyone listed and put em here.

Im betting this happened with all of the redemption.

besides im allowed to be curious aint I ? :)

For what it's worth. This is what I found.

Aug. 2010 First listing Blue Ref. 1.5X, Gold Ref. 3X(These multipliers are the same in all of the listings)
1a Heyward $120
2 Davis $30
10 $60

Sept. 2010
1a $100
2 $25
10 $80

Oct. 2010
1a $100
2 $25
5 Stanton $50
6 Strasberg $100
10 $80

Nov. 2010
1a $100
2 $25
5 $20
6 $120

Dec. 2010
1a $80
2 $25
4 $20
5 $30
6 $60
8 $50
10 $80

Jan. 2011

Same

Feb. 2010
Same

Mar. 2010 Can't find book

Apr. 2010
Same except
6 $40

May 2010
Same
Added 1b Heyward Auto $150

Last edited:
This happens most of the time with both the Finest and Red Hot Rookie redemptions. Not sure what Beckett bases their initial values on, but you will see the RHR redemptions valued at $20-$25 initially. This is even after they've announced who each redemption is for. Then, once the cards actually come out, the BVs are usually around $5 or $6, which is much closer to market value.

It is for this reason that I rarely trade for the redemptions when they first come out (at least not based on BV). Unless you're trading one redemption for another, you will lose in the end.

As an FYI, I sold my 2010 Finest #2 redemption (AFTER it was announced as Ike Davis) for $17-something. I have since bought 3 of the redeemed cards for probably no more than $10 total. It is insane what people will pay for a redemption vs an actual card. There is really no other way to put it.

prices below are from opg as of 30 seconds ago ;0

2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #1a Jason Heyward - $25.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #1b Jason Heyward AUAU - $150.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #2 Ike Davis - $10.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #3 Starlin Castro - $15.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #4 Mike Leake - $12.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #5 Mike Stanton - $15.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #6 Stephen Strasburg - $30.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #7 Andrew Cashner AUAU - $20.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #8 Dayan Viciedo - $6.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #9 Domonic Brown - n/a (???)
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #10 Ryan Kalish - $6.00

As you can see they are basically worth squat when compared to the initial pricing. Compare to MAY pricing. In the space of ONE month every single card except the heyward au is now worth 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was 6 weeks ago.
Compare to first pricing ? heyward 1a was $120 now $25
With stras it actually makes sense,because regardless of raw ability dude is out for the season, and (IMHO) appears to primed for a career of going on and off the DL rather regularly.
Im not familiar with Kalish, is his carreer over or something ?
from 80 bv to 6 bv ?????!!!!! thats wacky.
(edit - found something about a torn labrum)

Thanks for checking it out bdink (ps i had a chance to buy a coupla bowman jumbo boxes from my lcs at 130 each just a week ago. i didnt, now theyre sold out oh well)

David, thanks for the input. From what youre saying, it appears to be a consistent pattern of drastic overpricing at the outset with these redemptions.
I will definitely keep that in mind!

Last edited:
prices below are from opg as of 30 seconds ago ;0

2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #1a Jason Heyward - $25.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #1b Jason Heyward AUAU - $150.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #2 Ike Davis - $10.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #3 Starlin Castro - $15.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #4 Mike Leake - $12.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #5 Mike Stanton - $15.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #6 Stephen Strasburg - $30.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #7 Andrew Cashner AUAU - $20.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #8 Dayan Viciedo - $6.00
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #9 Domonic Brown - n/a (???)
2010 Finest Rookie Redemption #10 Ryan Kalish - $6.00

As you can see they are basically worth squat when compared to the initial pricing. Compare to MAY pricing. In the space of ONE month every single card exceot they heyward au is now worth 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was 6 weeks ago. With stras it actually makes sense,because regardless of raw ability dude is out for the season, and (IMHO) appears to primed for a career of going on and off the DL rather regularly.

Thanks for checking it out bdink (ps i had a chance to buy a coupla bowman boxes from my lcs at 130 each just a week ago. i didnt, now theyre sold out oh well)

David, thanks for the input. From what youre saying, it appears to be a consistent pattern of overpricing at the outset with these redemptions.
I will definitely keep that in mind!

Eh, they still have the 2007 Lincecum at $30 BV when you can't buy one for much under $30, so I still don't trust Beckett all that much. Although ebay buyers are just as screwy - someone paid $29 for one when they could have got a set of all 10 with Braun and the Joba auto for $25.

So you're saying you don't want to pay $95 for a card with a $30 BV?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Ike-Davis-...0690645082?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item415a77585a

It is a Best Offer auction, but somehow I don't think the seller will entertain your "best offer"...

Eh, they still have the 2007 Lincecum at $30 BV when you can't buy one for much under $30, so I still don't trust Beckett all that much. Although ebay buyers are just as screwy - someone paid $29 for one when they could have got a set of all 10 with Braun and the Joba auto for $25.

So you're saying you don't want to pay $95 for a card with a $30 BV?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Ike-Davis-...0690645082?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item415a77585a

It is a Best Offer auction, but somehow I don't think the seller will entertain your "best offer"...

LOL - no i wont pay triple BV.
Like most people when shopping on ebay, i hope to buy for well below bv.

this may have been my best chance, but i forgot about it. :eek:
25 bucks, only one bidder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IKE-DAVIS-RARE-...0568959191?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43a74274d7

These things are super hot when they are first released every year and that is why the initial pricing is so high. Everyone was hoping to get Strasburg but the only problem was you didn't know which one he was going to be.

Everyone started out trying to get the #1 redemption and paying well above bv for it because they thought it would be Strasburg. After they announced who #1 was going to be the price on the #2 skyrocketed and this kept on happening until they announced Strasburg. On the flip side once they found out 1-5 wasn't him the prices dropped significantly.

The same thing is going to happen this year because everyone is going to think they are getting Harper but what people don't realize is you can't be in these sets until you are called up to the Major League roster. That is why Strasburg ended up being #6 and not #1.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
Dan, your point about the players being unknown explains ebay prices at the outset.
However, the players became known a LONG time ago.
Beckett only dropped the bv on these in the last month or so.
The other thing i find odd about the entire situation is that at least for Ike
its not listed on the player page as a recent price change.

"Your card is now worth 1/5 th of what we said it was worth a few weeks ago,
we sincerely hope that you havent noticed"

:D :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
Dan, your point about the players being unknown explains ebay prices at the outset.
However, the players became known a LONG time ago.
Beckett only dropped the bv on these in the last month or so.
The other thing i find odd about the entire situation is that at least for Ike
its not listed on the player page as a recent price change.

"Your card is now worth 1/5 th of what we said it was worth a few weeks ago,
we sincerely hope that you havent noticed"

:D :p

The values dropped more than just a month ago and I don't think Beckett always keeps stuff up to date on the website. I forgot to add that the values usually drop significantly after the actual cards start hitting the market.

If you look at every card set this is the norm. When it is first released there is a boom and as more cards turn up on the market and are easier to find the values drop.

People move on the the next "HOT" thing.

Besides what has Ike done this year? He has been on the DL for half the season so his stuff was bound to drop in value.

Besides what has Ike done this year? He has been on the DL for half the season so his stuff was bound to drop in value.

Well, I wouldn't use that argument. He would be tied for 7th in the NL in OPS, and on pace for a 30/100/.300 season, had he not been injured.

But otherwise, you're right - Ike's stuff has been cheap for awhile now, so Beckett is a poor choice for any sort of guide based on value.

I forgot to add that the values usually drop significantly after the actual cards start hitting the market.

That was my point earlier. I sold the redemption - when it was known to be Ike Davis - for about 3-4 times what I paid for the actual card itself after the cards hit the market.

Well, I wouldn't use that argument. He would be tied for 7th in the NL in OPS, and on pace for a 30/100/.300 season, had he not been injured.

But otherwise, you're right - Ike's stuff has been cheap for awhile now, so Beckett is a poor choice for any sort of guide based on value.

That was my point earlier. I sold the redemption - when it was known to be Ike Davis - for about 3-4 times what I paid for the actual card itself after the cards hit the market.

Your advice about not bothering with these redemptions
until long after they are known and out for awhile is well taken. thanks

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps