2010 Topps Tribute Secondary Market Weak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trevoristight

Prospect
I've been looking on ebay for game used of Routh, Cobb, Wagner, Robinson, etc. There are bat pieces of each going for under $50 sometime even $25. Why is the secondary market so weak for 2010 Topps Tribute? Any ideas? Are these not completely authentic bat pieces or what, it's so odd.

Last year it came to light that many of these wooden pieces were actually bench pieces and not bat pieces...obviously that will lower the demand...

I pulled a Gehrig "Piece of Wood" Relic from this year's Tribute and all it says is that it is a Topps Certified Memorabilia card, nothing anywhere about being a bat relic so it seems they are at it again...

Last year it came to light that many of these wooden pieces were actually bench pieces and not bat pieces...obviously that will lower the demand...

I pulled a Gehrig "Piece of Wood" Relic from this year's Tribute and all it says is that it is a Topps Certified Memorabilia card, nothing anywhere about being a bat relic so it seems they are at it again...

exactly what i was thinking...you would think they learned something from last years mess.

exactly what i was thinking...you would think they learned something from last years mess.

They did. They learned that in spite of it all, people will still buy the product hoping for the lottery hit. Repeat after me: "The secondary market means as much to Topps (or Donruss, or Upper Deck, or Mattell, etc., etc.) as a big bowl of dog drool." Topps doesn't make their money on the secondary market, they make it with the cases they sell. As long as people buy those cases and save or bust them, they make money. As long as they sell the cases for $120 a box or whatever they charge the dealers, wholesalers, distributors, etc. They don't care much if the individual cards sell for $1 each or $200 each. In a perfect world they'd rather it sold for more, to prime people for the next set they produce, but realistically they know even if they put out garbage, they'll still sell a load of cards because people all want to get rich quick.

They did. They learned that in spite of it all, people will still buy the product hoping for the lottery hit. Repeat after me: "The secondary market means as much to Topps (or Donruss, or Upper Deck, or Mattell, etc., etc.) as a big bowl of dog drool." Topps doesn't make their money on the secondary market, they make it with the cases they sell. As long as people buy those cases and save or bust them, they make money. As long as they sell the cases for $120 a box or whatever they charge the dealers, wholesalers, distributors, etc. They don't care much if the individual cards sell for $1 each or $200 each. In a perfect world they'd rather it sold for more, to prime people for the next set they produce, but realistically they know even if they put out garbage, they'll still sell a load of cards because people all want to get rich quick.

Well said. To make matters worse the only company MLB allows to make baseball cards right now is Topps. This is a great way to put a chokehold on the hobby by doing this crud in my opinion.

That is ABSOLUTELY SHAMEFUL! :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not really shameful on them at all, they have collectors addicted to junk, as long as colletors demand junk they get junk. thats business. We as collectors need to stop buying junk. but i doubt that will happen. they just dont have the incentive to make decent cards yet, sure the A&G are neat, mainly becasue they are different, but all in all they too suck. especially when you have to think do i make rent this month or buy a blister pack of the new baseball cards? i mean come one the price is crazy for cardboard anymore.

While the subject is open Ive been wondering since returning this spring. How many relics of a retired player in general do they have left anyways? Im sure there are multiple cards on the market that are numbered low but the relic used in that card resides on several other issues. But still, how many game used bats can topps have left of say Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth or even Jackie Robinson or even Reggie Jackson? I wouldnt even be surprised if Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson and Cal Ripken are dryin up. With that said I like the manufactured patch's or relics. But I think putting low #'s on them is wrong. I feel they should only # authentic GU cards. My thinking of this is what about when a player moves? Hold those old uni's for future harder to pull peices. With the way free agency has affted the players movement from team to team. Holding this older uniforms could be a nice future release. Save the old Damon, Abreu, Matsui yankee uniforms for a future release something that might appeal to yankee fans a few years down the road. Or maybe even a player career relic card. Where they take say Johnny Damon and put a authentic swatch from KC, OAK, BOS, NY, DET in a fold out card. I think cutting up these uni's with the market flooded with stuff like the Peak Performance relics is a waste compaired to say the manufactured hat relics or even the future of bat barrells. Make those a little easier to obtain and the real GU the harder pulls. Am I wrong thinking this way?

While the subject is open Ive been wondering since returning this spring. How many relics of a retired player in general do they have left anyways? Im sure there are multiple cards on the market that are numbered low but the relic used in that card resides on several other issues. But still, how many game used bats can topps have left of say Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth or even Jackie Robinson or even Reggie Jackson? I wouldnt even be surprised if Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson and Cal Ripken are dryin up. With that said I like the manufactured patch's or relics. But I think putting low #'s on them is wrong. I feel they should only # authentic GU cards. My thinking of this is what about when a player moves? Hold those old uni's for future harder to pull peices. With the way free agency has affted the players movement from team to team. Holding this older uniforms could be a nice future release. Save the old Damon, Abreu, Matsui yankee uniforms for a future release something that might appeal to yankee fans a few years down the road. Or maybe even a player career relic card. Where they take say Johnny Damon and put a authentic swatch from KC, OAK, BOS, NY, DET in a fold out card. I think cutting up these uni's with the market flooded with stuff like the Peak Performance relics is a waste compaired to say the manufactured hat relics or even the future of bat barrells. Make those a little easier to obtain and the real GU the harder pulls. Am I wrong thinking this way?

I like your "career" relic idea a lot! I'd be great to have a CLE-PHI-LA-CHW-MIN-Next-Next Jersey of Thome someday. Great, great idea but they are too thick to see the future like that!

As far as the relics drying up. Where there's money there's fraud and I hate to put doubt in the situation unfairly but who's to say they are even cutting up Vincent Padilla's jersey as it is for those (hot!) Peak Performance Relics?

Where is this precious inventory inventoried and secured? I have my doubts.

I've seen Bazooka relics that look like corkboard, not wood (maybe it was a Sosa relic?). When you are dealing with a square inch swatch or less, behind shapes and numbers, how can you tell if that is MLB-quality jersey material or unsellable wine and gold Lebron swatches from K-mart stock.

Sorry to bring it up but this jumps into my head every time. I wanna trust them but how can I when I hold two, identical "#1/1" cards in my hands from Topps. Their answer? "We made more than one plate for production". This makes EVERY card a 1/1!

Argh....$(@&$*(&@(*&@##@(!

Last edited:
Here's something I mean to include in my orginal post but forgot in my ramble. Id like to see some of those arm bands players wore in the late 80's-90's. That had the little cartoonish type face of the player on them in a card. Probably wont because I dont think everyone wore them. And how big is the market for guys like Eric Davis and Darryl Strawberry. Biggest name I can recall wearing them was Barry Bonds.

-J.

Too bad we don't have another legit brand to turn to. I read online
that if your dis-satisfied with a fake bat relic, to send it to topps
and they will send another pack of tribute. Does anyone else think
topps has some nerve to tell people to do this? Just seems like they
don't really care if they rip people off. Now repeat first sentence.lol

... if your dis-satisfied with a fake bat relic, to send it to topps and they will send another pack of tribute. Does anyone else think topps has some nerve to tell people to do this?

Stinks to high heaven. I wonder how many times you can do that.... buy a cheap "memorabilia" item and keep trading it in until you get a big, or at least REAL, hit.

Stinks to high heaven.

Another reason I think someday we will see another company back into baseball. I think the hobby could be headed towards its own "PED" situation. Adventually the high end stuff will contain so much fake stuff that we will stop buying and guys who need the stuff will relie on ebay and other places to pick them up when they can find them. Instead of spending hard earn cash on a box of power ball tickets. I also feel that adventually even the A&G stuff will fall out of favor because its nothing but a marketing stunt. I picked up a few packs and what am I going to do with a dinosar, bug or painter? Let alone Chris Olds or Stuart Scott. I really beleive if something doesnt give, sales will go down and topps will be forced to step up or share the wealth. Looking at it now I think only Bowman, Topps and Heritage are safe as well as chrome counter parts. Do we really need 2 painted series (Chicle & A&G)? The growth of fake relics will hurt Triple Threads and other brands. Now this could take 5 years to a decade to materilize. But I really beleive someone will rejoin topps in the future. Probably someone like Panini.

I just think topps should have a better anwser then "send it back and
you can try again." People work hard for there money, and shouldn't
be cheated.

I just think topps should have a better anwser then "send it back and
you can try again." People work hard for there money, and shouldn't
be cheated.

How is anyone who does their homework getting cheated? Buying ANY product for the big hit is gambling, straight up. The house ALWAYS has the edge. If I buy a car and don't like it, I take a HUGE hit trading it in. If I go to the sporting goods store and buy a new glove, I don't get to trade it in for another one I like better. You pay your money, you take your chances. When you pull a $400 Strasburg auto out of a pack do you send Topps another $150 because you did so well? Topps isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. It's collector greed that's driving the market. They are offering a product for sale, they are inserting things to boost sales. They can't win. They make enough big dollar inserts to make everyone who buys them happy and what happens next, prices go down because great cards are common now, and everyone gets upset that their Ty Cobb bat card is only worth $50. Make them scarce and everyone who buys a pack or two screams bloody murder if they don't pull one and complains about being 'cheated'. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING! It really is that simple.

Yeah, poor topps. Your right go ahead and screw us so more topps
its our fault you mislead us. If I go out and buy a car, I get a real car.
Not just a empty shell of sheet metal. Your comparisons don't apply
to getting a topps certified relic thats fake.
Respectfully....Joe

You knowif they lied something should be done about that. Making collectors believe that we are getting one thing and it turned out to be another. know about the bench cards. Think about how many players use those benches? I think for me they are viable. But a lot of people are not going for them.

To me the gamble is not knowing who your going to pull,
not whether its a legit bat piece.