2012 Topps Archives, including most awesome personal hit ever and Greats of the Game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've been silent here since the Spring, as Summer always stresses me out in terms of time and money. I think that I'll be okay, so I allowed myself to buy some cards and to hang out here a little. I haven't bought a lot of cards recently, but I did allow myself to splurge when I was at the academic conference in Cooperstown and when I finally got some dough-ray-mee that I was promised. Here is some of what I pulled.

I don't often buy really expensive packs, but I was in Cooperstown, so I bought some Greats of the Game. I got a bunch of stuff, including the following:

2004 Joe Rudi Fleer Greats of the Game 60 Athletics
2004 Ron Guidry Fleer Greats of the Game 62 Yankees
2004 Bo Jackson Fleer Greats of the Game 67 Royals
2004 Kirby Puckett Fleer Greats of the Game 68 Twins
2004 Pepper Martin Fleer Greats of the Game 9 Cardinals
2004 Pepper Martin 231/500 Fleer Greats of the Game Blue 9 Cardinals
2004 Nolan Ryan 1112/1982 Fleer Greats of the Game The Glory of Their Time 28 GOT Astros

I was kinda bummed that I hadn't got anything really good until I opened the last pack. I was walking around the streets during a lunch break and I pulled a 2004 Greats of the Game Bob Gibson auto. That made it all worthwhile.

I also saw my first Archives in Cooperstown. I have a bunch of the base in my spreadsheet, but I pulled some decent inserts:

2012 Clayton Kershaw Topps Archives 1967 Stickers 67S-CK Dodgers
2012 Roberto Clemente Topps Archives 1968 3D Pirates
2012 Jose Bautista Topps Archives 1969 Deckle Edge 69DE-3 Blue Jays
2012 Starlin Castro Topps Archives 1977 Cloth 77C-SCA Cubs
2012 Wally Joyner Topps Archives All-Time Fan Favorites 211 Angels
2012 Luis Tiant Topps Archives All-Time Fan Favorites 217 Red Sox
2012 Terry Pendleton Topps Archives All-Time Fan Favorites 224 Braves
2012 Reggie Jackson Topps Archives Reprints 260 Athletics
2012 Catfish Hunter Topps Archives 1977 Cloth 77C-CH Yankees
2012 Yogi Berra Topps Archives Reprints 110 Yankees
2012 Roberto Clemente Topps Archives Reprints 440 Pirates
2012 Duke Snider Topps Archives Reprints 500 Dodgers

Best of all, I bought two packs at my LCS. I hadn't pulled anything "good" since the Gibson. I opened the last pack that I bought and guess what I saw...

2012 Topps Archives Fan Favorites Mickey Lolich Auto! I didn't have any toploaders in the car--why would I?--so I marched right back in to buy some to protect my awesome card. (Remember, I'm a Tiger fan, so it was quite thrilling to pull a beautiful auto on a beautiful card of an awesome Tiger.)

And don't you think there's an appropriateness to the two big-time pulls? Gibson and Lolich are inextricably linked by the 1968 World Series. Not to knock Gibson, but Lolich came out on top of that one.

Needless to say, the Gibson and Lolich cards are not for trade, but everything else is.

It's nice to pull a special card and especially nice to see someone appreciate a nice card for something other than its value. That Lolich is probably an instant ebay or show bound card for most, so that one landed in the right hands.

I remember buying a box of UD Hall of Fame cards years ago. As I always did, my hope in busting packs was to pull a sweet Dodger card. Now the Dodgers have some decent potential anytime there is a set produced (Koufax, Robinson, Snider, etc), so it's not like I have no hope of pulling anything good. For once, my wish came true and I landed a Duke Snider jersey/Auto card. The jersey/au cards were a bit tougher to pull and were not 1/box, so it was a thrill. Snider probably wasn't the big hit of that set, but for me it was. It was my best pull ever and in terms of value, Snider usually fell well short of other contemporaries like Aaron, Mays or Mantle, but that was the card I preferred.

Thanks, all, for your kind words. I have the Lolich in a place of honor on my desk for the time being.

mrmopar - I definitely agree that it's a big thrill when someone gets a card they really want and when they think of cards for more than "financial value." Whenever I pull a "valuable" card, I try to appreciate it a little, even if I'm going to trade it away. I pulled an Archives Ryan Zimmerman relic. Even though I'm not a Nationals fan, I have taken some time to enjoy it before I put it on the trade list (at which point someone who really likes Zimmerman or the Nats will get it).

metsman1986 - You're absolutely right! It's weird, but I'm still in a good mood!

check my site for this.lmk
2012 Catfish Hunter Topps Archives 1977 Cloth 77C-CH Yankees

the only thing i have for you is 2012 topps archives #92 jordan walden

Congrats on the pulls and the coincident relation from 68. It is funny how things work out. One of my most favorite pulls was a Mike Mussina patch card. He isn't a huge high-dollar guy but I have always liked him and said right before opening the box I was going to pull a sweet Mussina card, lol.

Dewayne

Way to go, Ken....glad to see you got Lolich, and that was an awesome 1968 Series....my all time favorite of course :)

Best wishes,
Diane

its the berra reprint for trade? i know i have 5 of the 2012 minis you are looking for