Review 2014 Bowman Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2014 Bowman Baseball

24 packs // 10 cards per pack
1 chrome auto in every box

Just for sake of clarity, I am a Bowman collector and Bowman (and Bowman Chrome) is my favorite issue of the year!

I received these in this hobby box:

127 unique paper base cards - 58% of the 220 card set

img929_zpsdcbfd3b5.jpg

This year's design is a bit different than year's past, but still is clean and simple. The front has the action shot and a foil team logo middle of the bottom of the card (is that as clear as mud?) The reverse has personal stats and a Bowman Briefing of their career - Resume, Skils, and Up Close. Also included are 2013 stats and MLB career total stats.

Paper Prospects

img928_zpsb75b6bba.jpg

Received 47 - 42.7% of the 110 set

These cards have the BP designation - Bowman Prospect. The best part of this issue / set is going back 5 years or more and attempting to determine who made it to the bigs and who is languishing in obscurity.

Chrome Prospects

img930_zpsc5363320.jpg

45 Received -- 40.9% of the 110 set

Chrome has a designation of BCP.. Bowman Chrome Prospect. The chrome cards are much thicker than the paper and have a mirror-like finish.

Inserts

Ok - there are refractors - blue, red, black, green, gold, orange, (both mini and regular), there are die cuts, die cut auto'd superfractors, mini refractor autos, regular chrome autos, refractor autos of all colors, and I probably left out several. In the paper version, - blue, gold, yellow, orange, black, silver versions - along with flag versions.... and again, I probably missed one or a dozen.... i.e. there is something for nearly any type of collector in this issue.

Afterthought - silver ice, blue wave, red wave, ....

img933_zps8f0baf0a.jpg

1 blue #ed to 500
Jordan Paroubeck
1 orange #ed to 250
Jason Heyward

img932_zps213a4864.jpg

1 Chrome refractor - Brandon Trinkwon #ed to 500
1 Silver (paper) - Andrew Cashner #ed to 75

img931_zpsf9ea992d.jpg

4 mini chrome refractors
1 Black mini chrome refractor - Alen Hanson #ed to 15

img934_zps5ce5deac.jpg

Silver Ice - 1 - Salvador Perez
Flag parallel - 6x - both in the prospect and base set

img935_zpsc764610c.jpg

'89 Bowman parallel - chrome - 1 - Bogarts
Top 100 chrome - 2x - Lee, and Bradley, Jr.

img936_zps65db0880.jpg

Gabriel Encinas

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Most if not all of the above mentioned inserts are in the hobby boxes... I don't know what other parallels will be in the retail (Walmart, Target, etc) versions.

Bowman is an iconic issue. It has players pictured in the Prospect set, that will probably only have one card in their playing career and that's one of the aspects of this issue that I enjoy the most. The set builder, the player collector, and the rookie collector should be very pleased with this issue - the master set builder - not so much - waaaaaaay too many inserts and parallels to collate.

The autos are all on card autos (at least I have not seen any stickers - even on the 'bay) and they look great!

The '89 Bowman chrome - the autos on these cards look real. I know that they aren't, but several of them - one nearly has to look the second time to see that they are printed on the card -- well done!

Overall grade A - maybe too many parallels/inserts (did I just type that?)

Go buy a bunch of boxes and send the Rays chrome parallels to me!

Duane

Duane -
Thanks for all the reviews you do.

I can use the Heyward and other Braves paralells, LMK what you could use for them.

Thanks!

Nice review & a pleasant read, thanks. One note to let you know there are some sticker autos to be found. One I pulled was a Top 100 Die Cut X-Fractor Auto /24 which is a sticker auto but I do believe all the 1st Chrome autos are all on card autos.

Checking to see if you got any Pirates that you want to get rid of. I have some Bowman coming next week. Should have some extras to trade. Butch

Thanks for the review Duane. Love this set every year. Really nice design this year. Not a lot of Marlins represented in this years set. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

19 79 87 106 155

Top 100 prospects BTP-26 BTP-53

Thanks, Brett

Thanks for the review Duane. Love this set every year. Really nice design this year. Not a lot of Marlins represented in this years set. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

19 79 87 106 155

Top 100 prospects BTP-26 BTP-53

Thanks, Brett

I have the 5 paper - but neither of the Top Prospects... strange for this issue - I haven't got any Marlins BP or BCP....

Post the 5 as free.

Duane

strange for this issue - I haven't got any Marlins BP or BCP....

Duane

You didn't get any, because there aren't any.

Thanks Topps! Way to drop the ball...

or did they just tell me all my teams prospects suck?!?

Thanks for the cards. Posted.

PS- any chrome curl?

Last edited:
You didn't get any, because there aren't any.

Thanks Topps! Way to drop the ball...

or did they just tell me all my teams prospects suck?!?

Thanks for the cards. Posted.

PS- any chrome curl?

Your prospects probably do su....

Chrome curl - Topps figured it out - the chrome cards are thicker than the paper cards and thus no chrome curl.

Duane

I really like the look of this year's Bowman... not sure what it is.
In addition to the base set, I'm going to try the Silver (#/75). Call my crazy.

If the Cashner Silver is available, I'd like a shot at it.

I can offer this TB Ray..
2014 Bowman Prospects Hometown BP016 Dylan Floro

Or, other set parallels/inserts...
2014 Topps Green 49 Enny Romero
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 69 Enny Romero
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 73 Ben Zobrist
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 223 Jake Odorizzi
2014 Topps Opening Day Stars ODS-24 Evan Longoria

Maybe we can help fill in each other's base set, too.
Let me know what you need. My base needs are found in the link in my signature.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have these TB cards from 2014 Bowman. Do you need any regular or BP cards for sets?? Plmk if interested. Butch

Bowman Blue #215 Beckham

Top 100 #BTP-92 Hak-Ju-Lee

89 Bowman Silver #89BIB-WM Myers

Bowman Green #199 Rodney

I will pull the Pirates for you.

Duane

I really like the look of this year's Bowman... not sure what it is.
In addition to the base set, I'm going to try the Silver (#/75). Call my crazy.

If the Cashner Silver is available, I'd like a shot at it.

I can offer this TB Ray..
2014 Bowman Prospects Hometown BP016 Dylan Floro

Or, other set parallels/inserts...
2014 Topps Green 49 Enny Romero
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 69 Enny Romero
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 73 Ben Zobrist
2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 223 Jake Odorizzi
2014 Topps Opening Day Stars ODS-24 Evan Longoria

Maybe we can help fill in each other's base set, too.
Let me know what you need. My base needs are found in the link in my signature.

I'll trade the Cashner for the Floro. Post it and I wish you well in your quest. I, too, have a good number of extras if you need some for your set.

Duane