Review 2014 Topps Series 2 - M L B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2014 Topps Series 2 - M L B

Hobby box - 36 packs // 10 cards per pack
Look for 1 Auto or 1 Relic card in every box!

I received these:

Base

306 unique base cards of the 330 card set - 92.7% -- NO dupes!!

img948_zpse1d44852.jpg

In keeping with Series 1, Series 2 is a continuation of a very good product. I am more amazed each time with the photography on the cards. Photographers now can shoot thousands of shots for nothing (yes, I realize there is equipment and time involved), but once the investment is made, compared to yesteryear and film... no contest. Action photos through out the set. The cards are bright white, stiff, and glossy. Base cards have silver foil, player's name, team logo, and position played.

Inserts

Before going into the inserts I received, there are a number of inserts that I did not receive, and I will probably leave one or 2 out... acetate (my favorite - still waiting on one!) #ed to 10, cammo, pink, printing plate, gold Future Star, auto, plus SP's (with USA jerseys) and SSP's with sparkles, and lest I forget - Snoopy sightings.... Future Stars, jumbo relics, die cut autos, manufactured relics - rings, framed rookie cards and many more.....

Gold/Red

img949_zps02d1b0d2.jpg

11 Gold #ed to 2014
6 Red

Future is Now

img954_zps918a718b.jpg

9 different

Black Parallel #ed to 62

img950_zpsc7d9256e.jpg

Gio Gonzalez

Die Cut Mini

img952_zpsf56b9265.jpg

4 different

SaberStars

img953_zps2ffd6b22.jpg

5 different

75th Anniversary - Buy Backs

img951_zpse34ac750.jpg

Fregosi
Travers

Power Players

img955_zps3b030f5e.jpg

3 received - each has a different code on the reverse to be entered on Topps.com

Rookies That Never Were - Future Stars

img956_zps4c2a3246.jpg

Mattingly
Trout

SP - with Sabermetric stats

img958_zpsb4c22742.jpg
img959_zps45917792.jpg

Topps Silk Collection #ed to 50

CC Sabathia

Relic

img960_zpsd74c642e.jpg

Ivan Rodriguez

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If you collect baseball cards, this issue is a must buy. The master set builder will have a challenge with all of the inserts - and I missed a few in the above list. Gold parallel and red foil builders -- and there are a few of you, good number of gold in the box and only 6 red.... good luck with those sets.

I did not receive card # 661 - Mr. Tanaka or his SP version.... dang it!

My 2 favorite inserts are the acetate, also did not receive one, - if someone has one and wants to trade - let me know... and the die cuts - 99% of the time I like the die cuts.

The inserts draw the collector back to the rich history of baseball - Aaron, McGuire, Canseco, Mattingly, Carlton, Ivan Rodriguez, Griffey Jr., and Mariano to name just a few... baseball is history at it's best in sports.

Overall grade A- maybe too many inserts...?? - Love the photography!!

Go buy several boxes and send the acetates and the Rays parallels (yes, I know we are in the cellar - we find ways to lose games!) to me.

Duane

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Duane. I too, am a big fan of action photography on cards. I'm glad topps still has the big set and I always look forward to update. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

335 340 353 354 387 413 431 448 506 524 577 590 635 641 660

Thanks, Brett

Thanks for the review Duane. I too, am a big fan of action photography on cards. I'm glad topps still has the big set and I always look forward to update. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

335 340 353 354 387 413 431 448 506 524 577 590 635 641 660

Thanks, Brett

Got 'em all.
Post as free.

Duane

Duane, could use any Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen. Could also use the black border. Only pulled one Rays card.
Ben Zobrist Red Sparkle. Picking up a couple more packs today. Butch

Duane, could use any Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen. Could also use the black border. Only pulled one Rays card.
Ben Zobrist Red Sparkle. Picking up a couple more packs today. Butch

I have 2 McCutchen's for you.. post as free.

I already have the Red Zobrist - thanks.

Duane

Awesome review as always love series 2 get any kipnis and what would you need in trade for trout? Thank you Duane always glad to see your reviews