2016 Topps "Buyback" cards? Red stamps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thlorian17

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Ok just want to make sure I understand how this works. From a couple of box breaks of 2016 Topps Baseball cards, I pulled a few vintage cards from the 70's with a stamp on them (65th Anniversary Topps). Does this mean I can mail them in to Topps and get the actual card mailed back to me (presumably in NM condition)? If so what address do I send these to? If not, then what is the purpose of these cards? Also what difference does it make if some of the stamps on these cards is in red? Thanks...

Last edited:
Topps announces special 65th anniversary buybacks for 2016 Series 1 Baseball
by Dave Buchanan on January 19, 2016 in Sports Card News and New Products, Topps
Topps is marking their 65th year of producing baseball cards with a specially stamped set of buyback cards in 2016 Series 1 Baseball.

The buyback cards will span seven decades of Topps releases and feature some of the biggest names in baseball history, including Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Nolan Ryan, Ozzie Smith and Reggie Jackson. Legendary hall of famers, such as Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, will also be included on cards printed after their playing careers ended.

Topps 65th Anniversary buybacks in 2016 Series 1 will have five different levels of scarcity similar to the 50th Anniversary buybacks in 2015 Topps Football. Each level will be distinguished by a different color stamp: Black (Standard), Red (Limited), Blue (Rare), Silver (Scarce) and Gold (1 of 1).

From Dacardworld

OK thanks! Guess Topps is not exchanging these back for the nm non-stamped originals and thus they should be treated like an insert with some being very rare like the golds and silvers.

Last edited:
buyback cards

hi thlorian, I have quite a few buy back cards that have come out over the past few years, how do you price them for trading, I can't
find them on beckett.
rick

OK thanks! Guess Topps is not exchanging these back for the nm non-stamped originals and thus they should be treated like an insert with some being very rare like the golds and silvers.

My personal opinion is that I hate these cards. I do not care what kind of a "stamp" they put on these things. I have a bunch from different years and the next time I find someone willing to trade for them will be the first.

hi thlorian, I have quite a few buy back cards that have come out over the past few years, how do you price them for trading, I can't
find them on beckett.
rick

My personal opinion is that I hate these cards. I do not care what kind of a "stamp" they put on these things. I have a bunch from different years and the next time I find someone willing to trade for them will be the first.

I have found them at shops and shows to be valued in the $3 or $4 range as they sell in $0.50 boxes (3 for $1). Some will be found in dollar boxes as a Manny Sanguillen I spotted at the TriStar show in SF in April, I have never seen these offered at higher but again the Sanguillen was the biggest name I've seen so far. I would trade for these in this valuation, my trade page is up to date, but with a broken foot I may have trouble accessing the box right away. I can search wants and vintage wantlists perhaps easier although I haven't really picked up new product in the last 4 or 5 years.

I have found them at shops and shows to be valued in the $3 or $4 range as they sell in $0.50 boxes (3 for $1). Some will be found in dollar boxes as a Manny Sanguillen I spotted at the TriStar show in SF in April, I have never seen these offered at higher but again the Sanguillen was the biggest name I've seen so far. I would trade for these in this valuation, my trade page is up to date, but with a broken foot I may have trouble accessing the box right away. I can search wants and vintage wantlists perhaps easier although I haven't really picked up new product in the last 4 or 5 years.

I will list what I have tomorrow James. We will work something out because these things have been sitting around for years. One is a 1969 Topps Joe Torre. That is by far the best player I have ever seen on any of these things.

I will list what I have tomorrow James. We will work something out because these things have been sitting around for years. One is a 1969 Topps Joe Torre. That is by far the best player I have ever seen on any of these things.

I wonder if I need the Torre for that set? :) FYI, my 1969 Topps set link is not showing on my site correctly but I have another link available for the 146 cards needed.

I wonder if I need the Torre for that set? :) FYI, my 1969 Topps set link is not showing on my site correctly but I have another link available for the 146 cards needed.

Hey James, here is a list of the ones I have:

1967 Topps #84 T. Sisk (Topps original 2015 stamp on front)
1967 Topps #281 B. Rodgers (Topps original 2015 stamp on front)
1969 Topps #460 J. Torre (2003 Topps vintage stamp on front)
1970 Topps #391 L. Brown (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1971 Topps #125 R. Fosse (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1973 Topps #442 D. Dietz (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1974 Topps #247 R. Miller (Topps 75th stamp on front)
1975 Topps #467 E. Halicki (Topps 75th stamp on front)
1976 Topps #354 R. Blomberg (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1978 Topps #24 D. Money (2015 Topps orginal stamp on front)
1978 Topps #323 J. Fregosi (2015 Topps orginal stamp on front)
1978 Topps #387 K. Holtzman (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1979 Topps #243 B. Martinez (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1979 Topps #461 J. Barr (2015 Topps original stamp on front)
1980 Topps #54 D. Lmap (Topps 75th stamp on front)
1983 Topps #137 W. Fryman (65th Anniversary stamp on front)
1988 Topps #360 T. Gwynn (65th Anniversary stamp on front)

Just let me know if you want any or all of these.

They are all over the board for values. Some hard core team and player collectors will pay dearly for them, while others will sit unsold in lots of 20 for a few bucks. It really just depends. Essentially it is a parallel of an old card once it is stamped. They have done this for years now, starting with no differentiation (1991) to embossed stamps in the early 2000s to foil stamps of different sorts in the last 5+ years.

I like them, but really don't chase anything but Garvey singles unless they are too good to pass up or in a lot I otherwise want.