2021 Topps Big League Baseball 04/20/2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2021 Topps Big League Baseball isn’t your hits-centric release chock full of autographs and other low-numbered delights — and the price tag to reflect it. And while the more modest price may be a bonus for young collectors, Big League continues its shift away from necessarily being a “kids” product like it was framed in its 2018 debut. And there’s some irony because this is a product that includes toys.

Like 2020 Topps Big League, there are two different box configurations, traditional hobby and hobby collector. As far as the cards go, the only difference between the is the number of packs. However, hobby collector boxes also come with a retro-style figure from Super7.

2020 Topps Big League Baseball Checklist Details​

The base set lands with 300 cards, which is bigger than many but not exactly comprehensive. Besides the expected star vets and rookies, the checklist includes such subsets as Award Winners, Highlights and Big League Best.

The design is relatively clean and may bring some 1982 Topps vibes for some thanks to the swooping nameplate.

Parallels come in a handful of colors:
  • Orange
  • Rainbow Foil – /100
  • Black and White – /50
  • Blue Foil – /25
  • Black Foil – /15
  • Red Foil – 1/1

Autographs and Inserts​

Similar to Opening Day, autographs aren’t a guarantee at the hobby box level. However, they are found in a couple of spots on the checklist.

Big League Autographs covers a broad spectrum of players.

Young players make up Opening Act Autographs.

In addition to their base versions, both of these have Electric Orange (/25) and Red Foil (1/1) parallels.

2021 Topps Big League Baseball has a few other insert sets that flesh out the checklist.

Defensive Wizards (1:4 packs) is the lone returning theme. Spotlighting players with slick gloves, these ooze ’80s with their aesthetic.

This isn’t the only insert set to focus on defense. Wanted (1:4 packs) follows suit with more players known for their prowess with the glove.

Taking over from the Star Caricatures is Art of the Game (1:4 packs), which take an artistic look at MLB players.

Home Team Traditions digs into some of the ballpark fun found around the league.

Finally, there’s Souvenirs (1:4 packs), which highlights power hitters and their long home runs that give fans in the stands something to take with them.

Defensive Wizards, Souvenirs and Wanted also have autograph versions for select cards. These are tough, though, with just 25 copies each.

Super7 Figures​

Hobby collector boxes are smaller that hobby boxes as far as packs go. They have just five compared to regular hobby’s 18. However, the smaller number of baseball cards is made up for with an action figure.

For the second year in a row, Topps is partnering with Super 7 for this. A total of ten figures are available, however there are a few different types of packaging cards to expand the chase:

• 1983 Cardback
  • 1959 Cardback – 1:4 boxes
  • 1983 Image Variation Cardback – 1:10 boxes
  • 1959 Image Variation Cardback – 1:20 boxes
On top of these, all four of these have one-of-one Gold versions.

2021 Topps Big League Baseball cards at a glance:​

Cards per pack: Hobby – 10, Hobby Collector – 10
Packs per box: Hobby – 18, Hobby Collector – 5
Boxes per case: Hobby – 20, Hobby Collector – 16
Set size: 300 cards

Nothing like releasing 2021 product in February of 2022. They have pushed this one back a bunch of times - holding breath that it will actually release on 2/23 as currently noted.

Nothing like releasing 2021 product in February of 2022. They have pushed this one back a bunch of times - holding breath that it will actually release on 2/23 as currently noted.
There hasn't been many 2022 releases out yet. Could be a delay so they can get the rest of the 2021 releases out.

I cancelled my BL order - over a year delay is too much for me.

I probably would as well, but have multiple other items attached to this particular order. Plus not really in a rush on my end, the fun we will have busting it open negates the long wait. Although if it pushes past the end of February, may have to consider a cancellation.

I probably would as well, but have multiple other items attached to this particular order. Plus not really in a rush on my end, the fun we will have busting it open negates the long wait. Although if it pushes past the end of February, may have to consider a cancellation.
That makes sense. I placed the original order back in August when it had a September release date. This is always a fun cheap break and my kids like opening with me. The just kept pushing it back farther and farther...honestly, would not be a huge surprise to me if it's cancelled considering the release of Series one in a few weeks.