9/7 - A wide range of returns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
A lot of communities have a former pro ballplayer and Steve Grilli was ours. He pitched for the Tigers, my favorite team, and his son Jason was part of the 2006 Detroit World Series team. (Jason also went to the same high school as I did, only a couple years earlier.) I received:

1976 Rookie Pitchers (Steve Grilli/Craig Mitchell/Jose Sosa/George Throop) Topps 506
1977 Topps 591

I finally wrote to Bill Virdon. He goes well with my Dick Groat and Roy Face. (For some reason, a lot of the Pirates from that era are really cool.) Virdon was 1955 Rookie of the Year and had a very consistent and respectable career. He even won a Gold Glove alongside Mays and Clemente in 1962.

I received:

1961 Bill Virdon Topps 70 Pirates
1994 Bill Virdon 1994 Topps Archives 1954 257 Cardinals

I wrote to Ned Garver a little while ago and decided to buy his book, "Touching all the Bases." I received the book today (very promptly) and Mr. Garver inscribed it to me and added a bit of his stat sheet. (Virgil Trucks and Ned Garver's books are both written through the same co-writers and publishing company. Those folks do a good job. The Trucks book is well-written and interesting and the Garver book looks equally compelling. Don't get me wrong; they're not as "literary" as some other player biographies, but they definitely deliver bang for the buck.)

Congrats
Nice pick ups
Job well dodne
Virdon was ROY when he played with the Cardinals He was always a great signer back when he played for the pirates Groat was also a great signer and a ballplayer to talk to.
Chief