90's Insert/insert-like cards- Are these still popular with collectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelers8873

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello,
I have a question. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards for a few years and I remember these cards were popular then but with the junk wax era tragedy I know most are pretty worthless but are these cards still popular with collectors today? I came across this album going through some lots/collections I have purchased over the last couple years and found these and was just wondering if they were still popular today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_110901500.jpg
    IMG_20210522_110901500.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210522_110929835.jpg
    IMG_20210522_110929835.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210522_111004152.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111004152.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210522_111042425.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111042425.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210522_111143306.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111143306.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210522_110720415.jpg
    IMG_20210522_110720415.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210522_111246335.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111246335.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210522_111324828.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111324828.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210522_111348538.jpg
    IMG_20210522_111348538.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 12
The 1990 inserts are hot....the junk era is more about the 80's......Sold all of my 1998 Finest The Man refractors cards for a ton of money! They were serial to 75! Best regards, David

Please do not take this the wrong way but my answer would be no. I think that the people who wanted these cards picked them up a long time ago.

But cards are really worth what someone is willing to pay for them. So I could be wrong.

Well no so much concerned about the value just wondered if people still collected them if so I was going to find an interested party. I like them I think they are Cool looking cards.good for nostalgia anyways.

There are fans of the subsets you are showing and similar subjects (Franchise, Dream Team, Diamond Kings, Rookie Prospects, World Series, All-Stars, etc. Like any basic card, it's not typically going to be in high demand once the set is issued and everyone has had a chance to pick them up.

I am one that always enjoyed the variety of these types of cards. You might have a base Frank Thomas in a set, for example, then 3-4 other subset cards to collect.

Then again, i am one that will get nostalgic over some mid 70s base card, thinking how great I once thought it was. I still do, but because they are so easy to obtain, they may no longer be all that special in the overall collection I have built, but they still mean something.

I know this is a baseball ruled forum, but this is one of the best examples I can think of. Not a common, but also not an all-time great player everyone wants, just a decent fan favorite type. For me this was one of, if not THE coolest cards of that set when I first saw them. It might be worth a quarter to someone, not much more sadly, but what a great shot!
s-l400.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I guess I'm the same way with these particular cards I had them when I was a kid & thought they were cool and still do to this day at this point they take up so little room I don't mind them just hanging about here something to look at from time to time.

Ernie if you are on Facebook search "junk era cards". There are several different groups where you can buy, sell & trade specifically these kinds of cards. There are many more, but here are three groups:

Junk Era -All Sports - Keep it Real - 1980-1998
Junk Era Sports Card Attic
All Junk Era Sports Cards 1980-2000 and Non Sports (plus Vintage)

And I agree, maybe not high dollar but these are some neat cards.

There are fans of the subsets you are showing and similar subjects (Franchise, Dream Team, Diamond Kings, Rookie Prospects, World Series, All-Stars, etc. Like any basic card, it's not typically going to be in high demand once the set is issued and everyone has had a chance to pick them up.

I am one that always enjoyed the variety of these types of cards. You might have a base Frank Thomas in a set, for example, then 3-4 other subset cards to collect.

Then again, i am one that will get nostalgic over some mid 70s base card, thinking how great I once thought it was. I still do, but because they are so easy to obtain, they may no longer be all that special in the overall collection I have built, but they still mean something.

I know this is a baseball ruled forum, but this is one of the best examples I can think of. Not a common, but also not an all-time great player everyone wants, just a decent fan favorite type. For me this was one of, if not THE coolest cards of that set when I first saw them. It might be worth a quarter to someone, not much more sadly, but what a great shot!
View attachment 11207
We think alike! I have a stack of cards that "I just like". The Landry is a cool card. For whatever reason I like the 1973 Topps Jim O'Brien. No other reason except the same as the one you gave about the Landry......I just like it. I did not take my own picture of it, but here it is:

Nothing spectacular, just loved it since I was a kid.

@redbird4 - I tried the group that you posted as link for and had to leave group after the first post I made due too rude/vulgar response to a valid question.Third time that happened for me on FB groups I guess thats why I started shying away from them...that and all the criminalsa on FB. I do appreciate the suggestion I just wanted to post just in case anyone else might want to avoid bad trading pages/groups.

@redbird4 - I tried the group that you posted as link for and had to leave group after the first post I made due too rude/vulgar response to a valid question.Third time that happened for me on FB groups I guess thats why I started shying away from them...that and all the criminalsa on FB. I do appreciate the suggestion I just wanted to post just in case anyone else might want to avoid bad trading pages/groups.
Oh I forgot to mention the person who responded poorly to my question was on of the admins/mods.

Oh I forgot to mention the person who responded poorly to my question was on of the admins/mods.
Wow. Sorry for that Ernie. I myself have left several groups for the very reason you just gave. People are too rude and vulgar these days. I guess I should mention I am not a member of that group, it was just random group when I was recommending the search for you. I do feel bad for sending you to a cruddy group though. I hope no hard feelings?

@redbird4 -Oh not at all these things happen.I should have known better though with FB I have had some bad experiences with people on there lol

We think alike! I have a stack of cards that "I just like". The Landry is a cool card. For whatever reason I like the 1973 Topps Jim O'Brien. No other reason except the same as the one you gave about the Landry......I just like it. I did not take my own picture of it, but here it is:

Nothing spectacular, just loved it since I was a kid.
Those action shots are great, because most of the set are not similar. There is maybe 10-15% with great photos. even better when it is a star. The 74 Tarkenton is exceptional to me.

Honestly, with the prices of cards, I would not be surprised if some more 40+ year old and new collectors might eventually decide to pick these up. One, they are cheap. Two, they have HOF players. Three, it brings back memories. The cards aren't going to make you a millionaire, but I would expect you to be able to flip them for SOMETHING, especially if you have a complete run.

Couple thoughts about facebook groups. I find them to be loaded with blunt people and I am one of those at times (but I try to do it in a respectful way). That is not always a bad thing. Lots of people asking the same questions over and over and over again. I swear some of the people who come in and ask questions want someone to do all the work for them. The internet is amazing and has so many answers to so many questions, but I guess some people don't try that first? I also see a lot of people getting bent out of shape when someone shows junk cards and someone else points out that they are junk. it's nothing personal towards the poster, just that the cards they have shared are overproduced stuff that everyone has and nobody wants. It is OK to tell someone that the cards they have are worth very little to nothing. That is not mean.

Without checking out the junk wax groups, I am going to make a broad assumption that may or may not be correct. They are probably fueled by people looking to buy bulk for next to nothing in hopes of finding odd variations that are worth lots of money to a select few in the hobby. There are some marquee error/variations and even a few that are exceedingly rare, but that doesn't always mean high value to everyone. The Jeff Treadway 89F Target card for example. Treadway had a decent career, but that same error on a superstar card might have been huge news, like the NNOF Thomas. It truly amazes me that people are forking out huge $ for John Hart and Marcus Lawton blackless cards. To each their own though I guess. Thomas I get, the commons I don't.