A new beginning or the end of the road? (A Hypothetical Scenario)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
You return home one evening from a nice dinner out with someone in your life and you see the flashing lights. Fire trucks are entering in your neighborhood and you can see thick black smoke billowing above. Happiness turns to anxiety as you follow. Anxiety turns to fear as you grow near your place. Fear turns to sickness as you see the fire is at your house!

In the end, it's a total loss. Nobody is hurt, but you now have to start picking up the pieces. Your house is badly damaged, but fixable. The battles start with your insurance company. You begin to sort everything out and find that among your beloved possessions that were damaged or destroyed by the fire includes your cards and memorabilia. The room you were storing these items in was a total loss and nothing remains.

I'm sure this will differ from person to person an collection to collection. Some may not even be able to answer the question unless they were actually faced with the decision as it's likely hard to speculate on something like this. Do you begin to rebuild the collection once the important issues are dealt with or do you pack it in and find something new to fill your free time?

I know given the type of items in my collection, much of it could be replaced eventually, but there is enough that would either be very difficult and time consuming to find again, is unique/one of a kind or would be much more expensive than it originally cost that I couldn't afford to replace it. I'm pretty sure I would be involuntarily done with this hobby, as I don't see me taking a different direction and starting over at scratch would be too painful and expensive of a task (unless everything was insured for a fair market value).

Last edited:
that is horrible, luckily everyone is safe, and sorry for your loss.... it seems to me that no matter how hard i try to get away from this hobby, i always coming back, and suggest you take some time with the fmaily, and dealing with insurance and can almost guarentee you will eventually come back, little by little...

I've tried to get away from the hobby, but just couldn't. I think I know I'm an addict, so I would rebuild. I'd start with my most prized pieces and work from there. I would also try to limit it to my prized stuff going forward.

What would YOU do it this happened to you?

My wife is an insurance agent, so my collection is properly insured. While I would be heartbroken, I definitely would not restart my collection. I hate so much of the product put out today, with the redemptions and the sticker autos... I just don't see the point. :(

I'm having to sell off large chunks of my collection to pay the bills. True, I didn't lose everything, but for a year or so I saw it possibly happening and I went through the same series of emotions you outlined so perfectly.
Happiness turns to anxiety as you follow. Anxiety turns to fear as you grow near your place. Fear turns to sickness as you see the fire is at your house!

Who knows, my feelings may change but right now I don't see myself rebuilding. Like rotorob said, I'm trying to hang onto a few of my gems. But if those end up going I just can't see even trying to get those back.

If my collection was well insured I would probably take the money and run,..
I would only try to recover a very few,..maybe 20,..but that would be about it,..

Clint

After thinking about it for a little bit, I have decided that I really don't know. :)

On the one hand, a good chunk of my collection would be easier to replace as I'm not hugely into GU and Autos and such, and I'd like to believe I'd still have the drive to collect again.

On the other hand, I would be constantly reminded of all of my losses any time I come to a halt in rebuilding my collection and might decide to just quit altogether.

I'd like to think that I'd still collect again, but I really don't know. But that's the beauty of hypotheticals, as long as it doesn't happen in reality. :)

I really don't know but I will probably start all over again since I love this hobby so much and I have been doing this for years. I wouldn't think I can do anything else besides collecting cards. :D

I'd rebuild. It would take at least 10 years just to get back to my current level, and I certainly would never replace a few of the extremely rare pieces that I have, but I could never get completely away from the hobby.

Last edited:
I would definitely start again. With an extreme focus on exactly what I wanted and no miscellaneous/extra purchases on a whim...

And honestly, based on what I have seen in my time here on The Bench, the other members here would probably be the first contributors to getting a collector back on his feet either with donations or very lopsided trades!!!

Should such an event occur, large chunks of my collection will have been scanned and uploaded to various places on the web and I'd be able to enjoy what once was, at least to some small extent.

So I'd probably just have to put the hobby on indefinite hold. I can't see going through the tedious process of rebuilding my player collections. The rest of the 80,000 or so cards are just fodder to sell and trade to expand my player collections, so no real loss there.

I guess I'd just have to find something else to occupy my time, insurance or not.

I would definitely start again. With an extreme focus on exactly what I wanted and no miscellaneous/extra purchases on a whim...

And honestly, based on what I have seen in my time here on The Bench, the other members here would probably be the first contributors to getting a collector back on his feet either with donations or very lopsided trades!!!

Very well put...............I'd probably start again too.................

The most difficult cards like the 2003 timeless treasures cards serial to only 10...I would not try again....already going into my 7th year....The Griffey Jr. autos...I probably give it another shot! Overall...difficult cards to get..I would not try collecting them again....easily ones...I would start again. Best regards, David

What an absolutely horrible hypothetical!

I've collected so long (41 years) that I
simply wouldn't know what to do with my
spare time without the hobby.

It may be stated that I take it too seriously
but my Baseball cards are as much a part of
my personae as my genetic heritage.

I would start over with a vengeance not
witnessed since Biblical times.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

I would guess, if I were put in this situation, after the important stuff was taken care of my immediate reaction would be to take the insurance money and use it to persue some of my other hobbies. Then one day I would catch a glimpse of something (it could be something as simple as kids trading cards, a scene in a movie or a pack-searcher in Target) and I would be bitten by the bug all over again.
There have been a number of times in my life where I boxed up my collection (and once I even got cold feet on a generous offer to sell out), but I always seem to come running back. That's probably what would happen even in this terrible hypothetical. I would like to think I would do it smarter the second time around... but I doubt it.

Great question,
Marvin

I'd rebuild, but I'd definitely try to focus on finding a niche rather than just accumulating like I did for so long. I've got so much stuff that just sits untouched in boxes that would be absolutely pointless to replace

Its a horrible thought. I would have to walk away. Just way too much stuff that can not be replaced.

clinton