A question for all of you set builders out there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jflan702

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Now that I am working on the 2015 Topps base set, I am thinking of what to do next. I am almost done with my set run from 1970 to now. I am trying to decide what to do next, find something new or keep collecting back into the 60's.

My question for all of the set builder is this: How many years of base Topps have you done? What keeps you interested in set building? And, how/where do you store all of those sets?

Looking for some help in a direction for my collection. Also looking to create some conversation and maybe see some pictures of how you store sets and your sports rooms.

Thanks for keeping me occupied for this next blizzard. I am mostly looking for an excuse to NOT go outside and shovel out my car. :D

yea I will be with you on the shoveling when i go back to pgh this year going thru puxsy and taking out that little furry rodent
john on the subject of what to do next try fleer or donruss or even maybe basketball or football

Hey John - hope you don't get beat up too bad! You have a favorite team?? Build teamsets!!! I do Phillies and build Topps base sets every year. I keep sets in 800 count boxes in numerical order - hoping my grandkids will enjoy them someday!! Let THEM buy the plastic pages and notebooks! ;-) On sets, I have 1973-1994 done, 2007-2014 done, 2015 Series 1 done, am working on 1995 thru 2006 Topps sets. As mentioned, there's always other brands to build! Enjoy and stay warm!!

Thanks guys.

I guess that I should have mentioned that I do have all of the other brands completed as well.

Topps 1970, 1971, 1973 to 2015 complete
Donruss 1981 to 2005 complete except for 1 buyback from 2001
Fleer 1981 to 2005 complete
Score 1988 to 1998 complete
Upper Deck 1989 to 2009 complete
Leaf 1990 to 2005 complete except for 1 SP from 2004
Ultra 1991 to 2005 complete

I really only collect brands with the MLB license. I have met Brian Gray from Leaf and he is a really nice guy, but I cannot bring myself to buy those products that are not licensed.

Thanks for trying to help me re-direct my OCD.

John:
I have all of the Topps sets from 1953 to present, as well as 53-55 Bowman, a bunch of miscellaneous sets in the 50'2 and 60's, Donruss and Fleer in the 90's and 90's etc.
I keep my Topps sets in binders because I like to take them out from time to time and have a vuja de (that's when it actually did happen before).
I think where you take your collection depends on what you like. If set building gives you joy, then do that. You can pick earlier Topps sets (and can collect less than NM condition). Or you can pick some subset and collect that. You can collect a team or a player, or even some category (e.g. players who've hit 50+ HRS in a season). The most important thing is to enjoy whatyou are doing!
Boots

I'm more into building insert sets that I like..... Normally the only base sets are..first year leaf, first year of finest, bowman, bowman chrome, bowman draft. Best regards, David

my collection once included:

1) all sets, base and update, for all brands:

topps: 1977-current
donruss: 1981-1993
fleer: 1981-1993
score: 1988-1993
bowman: 1989-1992
upper deck: 1989-1993

2) player singles collection for stars from the 80's-90's-00's, total of about 50 players and that consists of rc thru their last issue or until 2010.

3) a ken Griffey jr singles collection.

4) since Griffey jr had retired I started a Molina and Kershaw collection.

stopped collecting in 1994 and when I started back in 2000 I decided to focus only on topps. within the last year and half I decided to start unloading all the non topps sets. I did however add the chrome parallel and topps opening day sets to my collection and went crazy with the 60th anniversary of topps collecting everything I could get my hands on. I also have most of the insert sets for the 50th anniv from 2001 and still picking up some pieces that I don't have. not much from the 40th anniv other than the desert storm logo cards.

even during all that I did find a time I would get bored with my collection and had to think of a new item to freshen up the interest. in 2011, I started a collection inspired by my recent separation from bowling, and a collection of my favorite number. I started collecting #'s 300 (perfect game in bowling) and 800 (a once heralded series to bowl in a 3 game series until the explosion of 900's), both are award scores and awards are issued from governing body, and lastly 666. always have had a fascination for that #. not sure why but I do have 6 letters in each of my names, was my bowler id # for a bowling scoring system at a center that doesn't exist anymore.

my collection has been stored in binders and pages and boxes depending on what stages and what I am working on. sets get put in binder until complete and then stored in boxes, player singles collection is in pages since there are still many holes, ken Griffey jr collection and anything pre 1985 that I am keeping goes into sleeves and then into top loaders. I have couple book cases that all are stacked in.

Hey John, I feel your pain. Looking at trying to build those sets from the 1960's is going to be tough and expensive. I have complete Topps sets from 1973-2015. I am nearly done with my 1972 and 1971 sets. Down to the high numbers and a couple others like you. As most people know I am still piecing together the various Fleer, Score, Stadium Club, Donruss, Upper Deck and the others. I keep my sets in 3200 count boxes in penny sleeves. But all this stuff takes up a lot of room. I would say go ahead and go for it on the sets from the '60's. Pick out a set like 1964 and work on that one. It is a beautiful set and relatively cheap compared to the other sets from the '60's. Obviously the Mantle's are going to be the tough ones for you. And since I know you and I have made so many trades I would guess that you are not going to go with a "******" set. Let me know what set you are going to go for and I will be on the lookout for cards to help you out.

Good luck my friend!!!

I am currently working on 72-73-74 topps to fill in the gap between my 1971 set and my 1975 thru 1993 sets. As I look toward the future, I may decide to be a set buyer instead of a set builder. The 1972 hi numbers are running $12 to $15 each. I think I could almost buy a set for what the hi numbers are going to run me.

As for other stuff to do, you could build a parallel set. I completed the 1993 topps good baseball set. There is an 800 card lot of 1993 topps gold with no bids right now. The minumum bid is $9.99 + $10.00 postage. Or, the cost of two high number commons or unmarked checklists.

I like ttm autographs as well. I am working on the 1979 topps set, the first one I bought packs of as a kid. I have no plans to actually complete it as several of the players have passed, don't sign, or (Reggie $100) charge mo than I want to pay. It still is fun and a challenge though.

Good luck and keep it fun.

I collect the '70s and store them in binders w/ the 9 card plastic holders. Once upon a time after nearly finishing them I did a foolish thing and decided I would try to see how many of these cards I could get signed. It's a daunting task and now I've lost a good many of them in the mail that I am recollecting to finish sets again, but these sets are now fun to flip through with the signed cards as part of the presentation.....

Working on Topps back through 1969. That should keep me busy for quite some time. Once the sets are built, will probably work on the Topps Traded sets to go with them. Plus I have the PC of Kirby Puckett.

So as of right now, no real shortage of stuff to pick up. My biggest problem is that there are no good card shows locally for me to purchase cards at right now.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to concentrate on the last couple dozen high numbers for my 72 set. I like the thought of picking a single year of the 60's and going for it. I know it will cost me an arm and a leg, but it may keep me interested enough for a while.

If only there were some more options to choose from each year. Maybe DLP will make another comeback soon.

Thanks all!

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to concentrate on the last couple dozen high numbers for my 72 set. I like the thought of picking a single year of the 60's and going for it. I know it will cost me an arm and a leg, but it may keep me interested enough for a while.

If only there were some more options to choose from each year. Maybe DLP will make another comeback soon.

Thanks all!

Let me know what year you are going with John and I will pick some cards up for you.

Good luck my friend.

PS: I would stay away from 1963. That Rose rookie is a killer.

I've been working on a 1969 and 1972 Topps set for over 10 years. The reason, I try very hard to only trade for the cards. Without a doubt this has been very difficult. However, the way one goes on the hunt for these cards is often just as fun as acquiring the cards themselves.

Glad to hear that you're going after a single set from the 60s; these vintage years are just so much fun to chase.

Maybe you could try some of the insert sets from that era; 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Deckle, or the 1973 Topps Checklists............Kind of dabble before conquering a set with a bunch of high priced singles.........I need a 1965 Mantle and a few others to finish that set and have yet to pull the trigger..........Good luck with it!

Mike