Advice Getting Started with Vintage Setbuilding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragonfire613

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I am interested in building some of the older vintage sets... I want to start with 1978 Topps, but given I'm starting at zero, do you guys have any advice or tips for what the best way to go about this is? Is it just the obvious things of look for folks selling common lots and go from there? Is it easier to trade? Looking for the most economical route I suppose

@dragonfire613 I have a stack of 200 plus 1978 topps if you maybe interested most are in vg condition we can work something out if interested

Last edited:
I also have some 78 I can move. I have done a fair amount of vintage base for modern and it usually works out well. PM me if interested.

Buying lots is the best way to start but try to get some stars included. It also depends on why you are collecting. If reselling is a factor, XM or better is best, but if you just want a set to have and look at, vg or so would be much, much cheaper. There are probably many people here (myself included) who have 300 or so to start you off. Good luck to you.

I do not have a starter set but when you get some, let me know what numbers you are looking for. I go to shows about once or twice a month and there is a shop close by that has tons of these. I should be able to help you.

The 1978 Topps set is a good place to start also. It seems to me that cards from 1973 and back are getting harder and harder to find. They are also getting a lot more expensive. The rookies and stars from this era are increasing quite rapidly in my opinion. Guys that we could pick up in the dollwar bins 2 or 3 years ago are now edging up around 20 dollars or more. If you are going to buy a lot then I would also try and get some of the stars included.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

I was born in '78, so I'm wanting to build that set and also the sets from my children's birth years (much easier tasks). I'm still figuring out what way I want to go as far as condition/ value/ quality on the 78... mostly getting my bearings to help make the decision. Thanks for the replies I'll let you all know what I do.

Buy a nice starter lot. That's how I got the ball rolling on my 1973 set (my birth year). Remember,vintage set building is a marathon,not a sprint.

1978 shouldn't be too difficult and the Murray and Trammell/Molitor RCs aren't exactly expensive.

I don’t know. That ‘78 set is one of the cheaper from the 70’s. If the thrill of building, working and dealing to put it together is your goal then this is all good advice. If you simply want this set for your PC I would suggest going a different route. Just buy it complete. The set runs about $200-$225 in ExMt. After buying a starter set, buying the missing commons, buying all the stars and factoring in shipping costs I think you pay more. And if not, it’s plenty close enough for the time and effort spent would make up the difference.

I don’t know. That ‘78 set is one of the cheaper from the 70’s. If the thrill of building, working and dealing to put it together is your goal then this is all good advice. If you simply want this set for your PC I would suggest going a different route. Just buy it complete. The set runs about $200-$225 in ExMt. After buying a starter set, buying the missing commons, buying all the stars and factoring in shipping costs I think you pay more. And if not, it’s plenty close enough for the time and effort spent would make up the difference.
Actuality funny story I just picked the set up at my LCS today for $75... owner had just picked up one in a collection buy the other day (and he takes care of me, given the boat payments I help him make haha). Most are EX+ but a few I'll like to upgrade at some point. It did kind of feel like cheating, so I'll work on getting NM+ of the key cards.