Advice needed on card set.........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richloughlin

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I just picked up a 1993 Upper Deck factory set (yes the one with a Jeter rookie card in it). When I opened up the box I noticed the cards were all stuck together. it's not an unusual problem, but is there any safe way to get them apart without damaging them? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I had a guy in another group that said he put them in a freezer for a short time to loosen them. Never tried it personally but he says it works.

Pat

I ran into a similar situation with 1993 Upper Deck baseball cards a few years back also. I bought a bunch of 5,000 ct box of sports cards with about 1500 1993 Upper Deck baseball cards in one of them and most of them were stuck together in solid bricks from the humidity where they were stored. None of the other various issues were stuck like the 1993 UD baseball did except for a mid 1990s Playoff football issue. When I tried to separate them.............which was no easy task, I assure you.......they left white specks on the neighboring card. The fronts looked like they were shot during a snow storm. I tried different things including the freezer method and nothing worked for me. Hopefully, you'll have better luck then I did.

I ended up just tossing them as they were unsalvageable. I only paid $3 for each 5,000 ct box so it was not a loss for me as all the other cards were fine. Just the 1993 Upper Deck baseball and the one Playoff football product were ruined.

Please let us know if the freezer method worked for you. I am curious to find out after my experience with the same card issue

I guess the lesson learned is: glossy cards are nice to look at, just don't store them in bunches for a long period of time.

Also, when I attend card shows I notice that chrome finish cards (like Topps Chrome) that are at least a few years old sometimes tend to warp when placed in boxes together. Again, it's glossy and not just a flat piece of cardboard.

If I decide to do the freezer experiment, I'll let everyone know how it turned out. Thanks to all for their input!!

I tried this with a photo that was stuck to glass. maybe I didn't wait long enough, but it didn't work. I ended up ripping the photo from the glass and limited the damage as best I could, but it definitely ruined the look.

I had the somme problems with Ultra Baseball and Football..........i separated them by hand. i'd just grab a small brick and pulled them apart one card at a time. I was able to save my 2000 Ultra Football Set (Tom Brady RC) but i didn't have such luck with my baseball sets......had to trash most of them......Good Luck

bb3p - I started doing the same thing with the 93' Upper Deck set (pulling the cards apart in small stacks). I located the Jeter rookie card after I pulled that stack; but ended up with a smooth, scuffed looking rookie card. I'll probably just keep it for myself since it doesn't have much value looking like that.